Toneport UX1 USB

the_plurgid

9 posts in this topic

I have a toneport UX1 usb audio interface ... used on my old mac mini G3 for a year or so with no problems. And it's great, 0 latency monitoring WITH effects and amp simulations plus line in, etc. I really love it, and I don't want to have to stop using it but ...

I have built a hackintosh with :

motherboard: gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l

proc: intel core2 quad (2.4 ghz)

ram: 4g

video: nvidia geforce 8800 gt

The toneport works ok, but I get seriously annoying buzzes and hissing which are clearly not related to the analog routing. I get this, even playing audio through the interface out of iTunes. I also get it on input, so recording is completely impossible ... as soon as you get a good take you play it back, and it's got these crappy buzzes and clicks all over the sound.

Things I have tried so far ...

I've tried getting a separate USB pci card (startech) and placing it on it's own IRQ. [FAIL]

overclocking CPU to 2.7 ghz [FAIL]

raising voltages +0.03V from bios [FAIL]

limiting RAM from boot parameters (maxmem=...) [FAIL]

physically limiting ram (by taking out a 2G stick, leaving 2G installed) [FAIL]

And all combinations of the above.

Yet still, if I take the unit, and plug it back into my crappy G3 mac mini, it works fine.

I can post an mp3 of the bussing/poping/hissing sound if it helps.

can anybody offer a suggestion? I'm going out of my mind.

Truthfully, if I have to, I'm ready to buy a new audio interface, but I'm wary of going with another USB. Firewire may be an option, but I wonder if I'd have the same problems.

I'd really like to go with something internal, but I simply CAN'T find ANY pci-express sound cards in my price range (<= $250). Of course I'd like to buy an apogee, but damn ... any suggestions for a midrange replacement that can do 0 latency monitoring and will work on the hackintosh?

Up to now I presumed these bursts of static/whitenoise/fizzing (which I will call "the buzz" from here on out) were more or less random. Now I have found a way to make this happen on command.

I thought that this might be a resampling issue, so I fiddled with the sample rate in the Audio/Midi Setup application.

Though there is only one item in the menu, when any value is selected from the menu adjascent to the sample rate ("2ch-24 bit"), "the buzz" manifests itself.

This leads me to believe this has something to do with getting/setting non-audio data from the TonePort. Does anyone know if it's possible to look at the source code for "Audio MIDI Setup", so I can tell exactly what's being called when that menu is selected?

I'm sure this will lead back to Line6Audio.kext, but it'd be helpful to know exactly what calls are being made into it that cause the problem. I'm thinking a buffer overflow/underflow or some other memory addressing type thing, but I could be wrong.

Surely I cannot be the only person in the world with this problem.

post-200265-1211236381_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem noises all the time, even playing just a song in iTunes.....

I have tried using a pci usb card from Belking, it's the same, noises again.

It seems like the problem is something related to Quartz Extreme or something like that.

I'm using a Gigabyte P35 DS4 and a nVidia 7300 GT from a Macpro.

no luck here,

SWEET BABY JESUS ON THE BAYOU!!!

Here's how to fix it:

Set this boot parameter:

idlehalt=0

Also I did this, so if setting the boot parameter alone dosen't work try ...

Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup

---> bump your sample rate to 96000.0Hz

---> I don't know if this part really matters, but I did it, so ...

Also I updated to 10.5.3, but that alone did nothing to solve my problem, so if you're on 10.5.2 and setting the boot parameter and changing your sample rate don't work, get the kalyway 10.5.3 updater from the bay and give that a try as well.

Good luck!

Man I can't believe it was a boot parameter all this time ... *slaps head*

• 4 months later...

Forget everything I said before.

The problem is that your firewire or usb card MUST BE PCI EXPRESS.

Upgraded to this card fixed everthing perfectly.

glitch free audio, been recording pristine 96k audio all night.

I'm happy now.

quote name='ihackpro' date='Jun 1 2008, 02:28 AM' post='766332']

Hi,

I have the same problem noises all the time, even playing just a song in iTunes.....

I have tried using a pci usb card from Belking, it's the same, noises again.

It seems like the problem is something related to Quartz Extreme or something like that.

I'm using a Gigabyte P35 DS4 and a nVidia 7300 GT from a Macpro.

no luck here,

SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE ORPHANS

I was completely wrong.

This is not a fix. I thought it was, and it wasn't, and I was too lazy to update this thread.

(we be pirates maytee, whadrya expect then ... yaarrrr?)

There is however, an actual working fix.

Check my response to the previous message in this thread, and good luck to ye.

- the_plurgid

SWEET BABY JESUS ON THE BAYOU!!!

Here's how to fix it:

Set this boot parameter:

idlehalt=0

Also I did this, so if setting the boot parameter alone dosen't work try ...

Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup

---> bump your sample rate to 96000.0Hz

---> I don't know if this part really matters, but I did it, so ...

Also I updated to 10.5.3, but that alone did nothing to solve my problem, so if you're on 10.5.2 and setting the boot parameter and changing your sample rate don't work, get the kalyway 10.5.3 updater from the bay and give that a try as well.

Good luck!

Man I can't believe it was a boot parameter all this time ... *slaps head*

• 5 months later...

Hey There

Same problem here. I tried everything with no success. Does anybody know how can I solve this please? Even my iTunes have problems.

Dell Inspiron 1525

Iatkos 4i

Everything works good except the Toneport UX1.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem with white noise from UX1 on hackintosh, gigabyte motherboard (ga-945gcmx-s2), chipset 945GC +ICH7 chipset. Precisely, with 2600xt ATI card on this configuration - when i run system on integrated graphics (gma950) white noise dissapear. New drivers from line 6 didn't solve the problem.

Today I bought motherboard with P45 chipset + ICH10 (DFI blood iron P45-T2RS) and the problem dissapeared, UX1 and ATI 2600XT now work in perfect harmony.  :unsure: I also tried UX1 on hackintosh with gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3 motherboard, and works perfect too.

So, P45 + ICH10 is probably solution for problems with UX1 on Mac OS