Unix drivers compatibility?

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I was just curious... the Mac OS X is based on Unix/Linux... could we use Linux drivers if we don't find MAC drivers? What we have to do after downloading the driver? Excuse me but I know nothing about Linux, so please explain everything with much detail. Don't worry, I'm at least a Windows expert, so I should be able to understand... :blink:

Thank you!

By the way, I recently tried to install Leopard 10.5.1 (don't remember which version exactly I downloaded) and this supposed to work in one step (assuming I downloaded the correct version). The installation started as expected, I wiped the partition of my hard disk and created a GUID partition MAC OS Journaled. The installation completed successfully, I restarted my computer but there was nothing for long time, apart for a blinking cursor in a black screen...

I decided to try again, this time with an MFT partition, same thing. I read somewhere for EFI v8 and haven't tried that yet. Meanwhile I wait for the Kalyway 10.5.2 version to download, this could be more compatible. What could go wrong? The CPU was Intel Pentium Dual 2180 (2Ghz, dual core, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 EM64T etc), graphics card was nVidia Geforce 6200 (VESA 3.0 support, 256 memory).

Why you require a Core 2 Duo CPU at least? As far as I know all Intel CPUs from Prescott 3.0Ghz and newer have SSE3 instructions! Could you be more specific? Why I shouldn't try installing Leopard in my old Pentium 4 3.0GHz (Prescott) ?

Thank you again.

Hello!

I was just curious... the Mac OS X is based on Unix/Linux... could we use Linux drivers if we don't find MAC drivers?

No. if it was *anything like* that simple we'd all be doing it.

No magic. OSX device drivers are not even close to what you see on Linux. They're much closer to FreeBSD, but even then they only share some data structures. The way a device driver interacts with the Darwin/OSX architecture is completely different from the way FreeBSD does it.

I actually read through ndisulator the other day, it's only a few hundred lines, and although I didn't understand it all, and I totally understand that it would need a complete rewrite, it seems so mindbogglingly simple that it must surely be doable, somehow..

Project Evil on OS X ... what could possibly be cooler to have as a coding project?