iPhone 3.5G to support 1080p H.264 High-Profile Dual-Stream Decoding?

Parsnip

15 posts in this topic

Yeah, 1080p on a 4" screen. Good luck differentiating the detail level there. The iPhone's DPI is already significantly higher than any computer monitor or television on the market, it's not like you can see more detail past a certain level.

Good job actually reading the article. :(

I fail to see how the author's speculation could possibly be realistic. Even at 32GB, the highest-capacity touch unit could only hold two or three high-profile 1080p films.

More junk from the Apple rumor mill. :D

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. Not to mention the first poster is right. The eye cannot detect the detail that 1080p produces on a screen less than 32 inches, I believe...

Yeah, 1080p on a 4" screen. Good luck differentiating the detail level there. The iPhone's DPI is already significantly higher than any computer monitor or television on the market, it's not like you can see more detail past a certain level.

So why would you want 1080p on your mobile phone or personal media player, anyway? The point obviously isn't to run that on your handheld's screen; assuming a high enough bitrate, there's simply no way you'd see the difference on a VGA 4.5 inches screen between 720p and 1080p (however, we'd argue the difference between VGA/D1 and 720p should be fairly obvious; that's also why many QVGA handhelds with much smaller screens, including the original iPod with Video, could play VGA H.264).

No, the point is obviously to use your handheld as your media center (via HDMI) and eventually buy all your HD movies on iTunes. Clearly most people's internet connection may seem to be too slow for high-bitrate 1080p videos; however, 3.5G and 4G mobile networks will likely fix that problem in the 2009-2011 timeframe. Streaming it via WiFi is also possible, and you might even be able to connect your handheld to an external USB HDD.

So screen size would be a non-issue. And if you'd use it as a streamer/media center, then you'd use Wi-Fi I reckon :(

sarahbau is right, good job reading the article everyone >_>

I think at some point it will happen (HD on iphone etc) the future is definately high definition content, tvs keep getting bigger and cheaper, processors are still becoming faster/more efficient and digital storage capacities continue to grow. I reckon you will be carring hd content in your pocket in the not so distant future, i think the uses for it can be very real, you can buy a film from itunes take it to your mums/mates and watch it on the hd tv after connecting your iphone to it. The biggest hurdle for something like this would be making it integrate with other devices. Maybe a later generation iphone could be capable of recording hd video like a hd camcorder? (it would need to be able to play it back then!)

Ask yourselves a question, where do we go next ? We already have a phone that we can use to surf the net, send email, watch videos play music and loads of other bits. Maybe this could be a part of its evolution.

The one thing i like about Apple is they make cool stuff, you dont need a laptop you can fit in an envelope, you dont need an ipod that stores 160gb of mp3s, you probably didnt really need the iphone you bought (even tho you probably had the ipod!) you probably dont need that new macbook pro thats slightly faster than your old one. But i bet you want one!

If Apple make a new generation iphone that can play hd video you'll all want one. Me included !

How many hi-fis do you see now with ipod docks on? (even cars with them in !) and new speaker systems specifically for ipods to listen to your music, i dont see any reason why it couldnt be the same with video related stuff, tvs/monitors with ipod/phone docks on to watch your hd videos ! Apple have always been one step in front with stuff like this, so why not ? Nobody else is doing it at the minute.

As for whats next for iphone only Apple knows for sure !

Im off to work lol .....

Soliber et all

There is no minimum screen size for HD. HD requires 720 lines of resolution minimum (hence 720i/720p)

Therefore any screen that can display images with a minimum of 720 vertical lines (1260 x 720/ 720 x 720) can display hd as long as the hardware behind it can support it.

The weak link in the equation is the human eye, which has difficulty detecting the differences in resolution between different sized screens.

So a large hd tv you watch at home from about 6 feet away will look similar in resolution to a 4" hd display held close up.

I think that out of any electronics company, apple are the most likely to try this.

But whether the market is there for portable hd screens is a completely different matter.

I can see the reason people are saying that it could be used as a media storage device, but hd movies are very large in size.

I suppose it may be possible with some clever codec work and some large flash based storage....Corsair have a 32gb memory stick for god sake :angel:

This isn't about quality! Yes, everyone knows HD is pointless on such a small screen!

Still, if one were to download a HD 1080p movie from iTunes but had to take it with them, wether that be to watch it an another screen or on the device (think travel), you need a hardware codec to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

heh, i think the idea here is to allow an iphone user to download an HD video from their computer if they happened to rent one, and even output to a TV via component cables or an HDMI dock at some point. That would be the reason to decode 720p/1080p video.