Help! Restored OSx86 Image will not Boot

MacNCheesy

6 posts in this topic

I successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my my computer and had it working pretty well, but I installed one two many demo applications and screwed something up. I thought I was covered because I have been using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to make images (dmg files) of my OS X drive at different stages so I could always roll back to an older install. Well, things have not worked out as good as hoped. I tried to use CCC to roll back to an older install last night (I have a bootable image on a external firewire drive created with CCC) and my main internal Mac OS X drive and external boot drive would not boot after restoring the image. I am guessing that restoring the older image screwed up PC EFI or Darwin, but I am not sure how to fix it.

My system is set up with only OS X installed. Hardware is as follows, ASUS P5B Deluxe, ATI x1950 Pro, 3 SATA 500GB HDs. I partitioned my HDs with GUID, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). PC EFI and Darwin are installed as is default on Kalyway.

Can someone please tell me how get my recovered CCC image bootable again? :(

Is there a better/safer/easier way to make backup images of an OSx86 install to recover from stupid mistakes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Whalid,

There is no error, just a little scramble text with the last line ending with a single J. The only way to get any response is to put a bootable CD/DVD, like the Kalyway DVD, in a drive. I was able to do a reinstall of Kalyway and get it working again, but I want restore one of my images to save a lot of time reinstalling software and drivers.

Thanks,

M

Carbon copy or super duper will not back up the Darwin+EFI bootloader.

All you have to do is after restoring the image, install Darwin Bootloader and EFI Manually