Asus R2H boots from usb Leopard install ...

midireebs

6 posts in this topic

After succesfully installing Leopard on an HP TC4200 tablet (my "crab-applet") and getting everything working I decided on an experiment with the Asus R2H first gen tablet. Since I put a larger drive in the TC4200 and repeated the Kalyway 10.5.1 install successfully I yanked the 40GB hdd from it and put it into a USB 2 enclosure and booted the R2H from it... and it made it into leopard sort of...

Takes about a minute to boot and makes it into leopard with the spinning wheel running permanently... finder isnt responding... cant relaunch or quit... hold power button offers to shut down/restart but doesnt... screen works with stylus(kudos to the Tablet Magic forum guru's) isnt quite accurately calibrated by default (of course) but does in fact navigate... thumb joystick works... l/r mouse button work... keyboard wants to know what key is to the right of the left shift key but there isnt on this micro usb keyboard(i gave it the windows button to choke on for awhile).... wireless balldiamond visible but cant connect(needs a zydas driver)... bluetooth appears to work... cant get into system profiler... battery indicater becomes visible after hovering over it and appears to be accurate (test more on a native install later)... anyways ill spend some actual time on it in the near future and post what ever I find.

Anyone know of any GPS map software for OSX that can utilize a usb configured GPS? The R2H GPS module appears to be internal usb device(?).

OK the R2H is actually useable in 10.4.8 natively but it doesnt like Leopard natively.

1. Tried Kaly 10.5.1 under a few scenarios.

- Attempted booting kaly image from external Liteon 8x DVD+-RW Lightscribe optical drive: kernel panics galore failed around ethernet somewhere.

- Attempted disable ethernet in bios: same result.

- Attempted boot from image on Corsair Flash Survivor 8GB usb drive: same result.

2. Tried Leo4allv2 w/ ethernet still disabled: failed same result and I think at the same point around ethernet...

(ill attempt v3 when it done stewing in bandwidth broth)

Now the kicker is it originally booted from usb 2.0 hdd enclosure that already had a functional Kaly Leo 10.5.1 I yanked from my HP tc4200 tablet and it made it into the os and appeared to be smoother than my previous install of 10.4.8 with patched updates... curious...

I have an HP NX9500 Jas 10.4.8 laptop as well thats older but I yanked the drive out of that and put it in the enclosure and it boots the R2 and functions smoothly... almost more so externally than natively(?) Im thinking the 1.8" 60GB hitachi hdd has a bottleneck or I need to modify the ide controller software somehow.

Still I have to say the video of the R2H running osx that came out on youtube or whatever last year doesnt really do it justice at all. That video DID look really sluggish... still boots faster as an osx project than as an windows xp tablet. Mine actually runs decent enough to use it as my car computer... once you get the gma915 kext and the zydas 1215.kext working. Im running Jas10.4.8 with CI and QE enabled via Jas patch(thanks man seriously) 800 x 480 and frontrow slow but working... runs a larger monitor fine / all resolutions available... the bluetooth apple wireless key and mouse work great... resistive screen works w/ built in ink and is slightly mis-calibrated but useable for finger tapping apps open but tricky to use with the built in on screen international keyboard unless its dead center of the screen... powermanagement/battery/charging works fine and gets about 2.5 hrs amazingly enough... I can see the gps in sys profiler but I dont know what software to try to utilize it (anyone?)... sound works w alc8xxx fix and runs fine through analog outs and bluetooth... mic works... no camera functionality or gps in osx but I dont really care cause it works on the windows side.

Next im going to attempt an install of kaly leo 10.5.1 to a 32GB OCZ thumb drive through the tc4200 without any of my tc4200 sound or wifi patches applied and see if I can make it bootable

on the R2.

After sticking the hdd from the usb enclosure back into my TC4200 and booting it up...

TC4200 booted back up just fine in 1024 x 768 but now also has two new resolutions indicated in system preferences / displays / resolutions...

640 x 480 and 800 x 480 are now available to my tc4200 tablet screen? They werent there before... ? Those are the R2H resolutions...

So I go ahead and plug in the external 17" widescreen lcd and under that screen resolutions I have 1280 x 768 as well as 1024 x 768(?)... guess I better plug in the 22" wide and see if more widescreen resolutions become available...

Also just noticed the clone wars video at starwars.com works fine w/ quicktime all of a sudden?!?... that didnt work before?!?! what the heck? Also Quicktime and Divx now play my battlestar avi's with no lipsync issues?... and my occasional flickering screen issues are seemingly gone... ? How does putting the hdd in an enslosure and booting off of a different machine w/ different screen resolutions fix CI exactly? Weird.

• 1 year later...
After succesfully installing Leopard on an HP TC4200 tablet (my "crab-applet") and getting everything working I decided on an experiment with the Asus R2H first gen tablet. Since I put a larger drive in the TC4200 and repeated the Kalyway 10.5.1 install successfully I yanked the 40GB hdd from it and put it into a USB 2 enclosure and booted the R2H from it... and it made it into leopard sort of...

Takes about a minute to boot and makes it into leopard with the spinning wheel running permanently... finder isnt responding... cant relaunch or quit... hold power button offers to shut down/restart but doesnt... screen works with stylus(kudos to the Tablet Magic forum guru's) isnt quite accurately calibrated by default (of course) but does in fact navigate... thumb joystick works... l/r mouse button work... keyboard wants to know what key is to the right of the left shift key but there isnt on this micro usb keyboard(i gave it the windows button to choke on for awhile).... wireless balldiamond visible but cant connect(needs a zydas driver)... bluetooth appears to work... cant get into system profiler... battery indicater becomes visible after hovering over it and appears to be accurate (test more on a native install later)... anyways ill spend some actual time on it in the near future and post what ever I find.

Anyone know of any GPS map software for OSX that can utilize a usb configured GPS? The R2H GPS module appears to be internal usb device(?).

hi, do you think you could provide an installation guide for installing OSX on a HP TC4200?. and i would also like to know if any hardware changes are needed, ie, network card etc..

Thanks, Paul.

• 4 weeks later...
hi, do you think you could provide an installation guide for installing OSX on a HP TC4200?. and i would also like to know if any hardware changes are needed, ie, network card etc..

Thanks, Paul.

Hey man,

I posted the original install method I used on gottabemobile back in 2007...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/hp/5448...200-tc4400.html

Looks like a few other guys managed to get it working as well but make sure you go through every post. Mine still runs Leo 10.5.1 just fine so Im leaving it that way. I hear some others got 10.5.6 working but I havnt bothered.

Sorry for the late response but insanely hasnt been forwarding my messages to my email.

May the Force be with you!

midireebs

• 1 year later...
OK the R2H is actually useable in 10.4.8 natively but it doesnt like Leopard natively.

1. Tried Kaly 10.5.1 under a few scenarios.

- Attempted booting kaly image from external Liteon 8x DVD+-RW Lightscribe optical drive: kernel panics galore failed around ethernet somewhere.

- Attempted disable ethernet in bios: same result.

- Attempted boot from image on Corsair Flash Survivor 8GB usb drive: same result.

2. Tried Leo4allv2 w/ ethernet still disabled: failed same result and I think at the same point around ethernet...

(ill attempt v3 when it done stewing in bandwidth broth)

Now the kicker is it originally booted from usb 2.0 hdd enclosure that already had a functional Kaly Leo 10.5.1 I yanked from my HP tc4200 tablet and it made it into the os and appeared to be smoother than my previous install of 10.4.8 with patched updates... curious...

I have an HP NX9500 Jas 10.4.8 laptop as well thats older but I yanked the drive out of that and put it in the enclosure and it boots the R2 and functions smoothly... almost more so externally than natively(?) Im thinking the 1.8" 60GB hitachi hdd has a bottleneck or I need to modify the ide controller software somehow.

Still I have to say the video of the R2H running osx that came out on youtube or whatever last year doesnt really do it justice at all. That video DID look really sluggish... still boots faster as an osx project than as an windows xp tablet. Mine actually runs decent enough to use it as my car computer... once you get the gma915 kext and the zydas 1215.kext working. Im running Jas10.4.8 with CI and QE enabled via Jas patch(thanks man seriously) 800 x 480 and frontrow slow but working... runs a larger monitor fine / all resolutions available... the bluetooth apple wireless key and mouse work great... resistive screen works w/ built in ink and is slightly mis-calibrated but useable for finger tapping apps open but tricky to use with the built in on screen international keyboard unless its dead center of the screen... powermanagement/battery/charging works fine and gets about 2.5 hrs amazingly enough... I can see the gps in sys profiler but I dont know what software to try to utilize it (anyone?)... sound works w alc8xxx fix and runs fine through analog outs and bluetooth... mic works... no camera functionality or gps in osx but I dont really care cause it works on the windows side.

Next im going to attempt an install of kaly leo 10.5.1 to a 32GB OCZ thumb drive through the tc4200 without any of my tc4200 sound or wifi patches applied and see if I can make it bootable

on the R2.

I've just picked up several of these Asus R2H's from an auction site and have been playing with OSX on them. I have upgraded them all successfully to 2.25gb ram + 4gb class 10 sd for readyboost & they can run win 7/win 8 just fine, windows drivers were no problem to find.

-The original osx86 10.4.1 developer build installs and runs fine (& fast) from an external USB dvdrw drive, touchscreen works (slightly off), but there is no networking or sound, qe & ci and Im yet to find a good fix for them. Also found that alot of programs will just NOT run or install?

-Jas 10.4.8 installs with -x -v -f flags but there is no way past the language screen resolution cropping the continue button off that I can find. Is there a keyboard shortcut? Ive tried everything! Even tried going through the spoken setup.

-Jas 10.4.6 fails at ethernet someplace.

-iPC 10.5.6 stalls at bluescreen, before installation with flags -x -f.

-Leo4all 10.5.2 has some kernel panics about usb.

-kalyway 10.5.2 also has usb issues.

-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Intel CPUs & Retail Tiger Intel froze at apple logo.

-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Intel CPUs & Retail Snow wouldnt refresh disk but does on different hardware (toshiba a200).

Next im going to try upgrading the 1.8" internal hdd to a 16gb ssd zif off ebay to see about that bottleneck, just waiting for it to arrive. In anycase if osx continues failing I will just rewindow.