64-bit support?

t3hi3x

21 posts in this topic

So I finally got my Hackintosh up and running. My questions is:

I want to install the Java update from Apple's site to make my osx use Java 1.6 (I think lol), it is found at: http://developer.apple.com/java.

I dled the thing, and it says I need a 64-bit capable intel Mac. So...which part is not being met the intel part or the 64-bit part? I do have this sucker running on a 64 bit AMD proc, but I don't think my Kernel supports 64-bit. Any idears?

uranus:~ apbresh$ uname -a
Darwin uranus.lan 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 CX16

My proc is the 65nm Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on the AM2 platform.

That's probably your issue right there. AMD systems have issues with OSX, Java is probably looking for an Intel Processor, which yours is not. Other than that, I can't really tell you much more on it.

Well...

A few questions. Does the proc support 64-bit in OSX? Is there a way I can test this?

Is there a way I can trick OSX in thinking I have an intel proc? Isn't that kinda what the system does already?

Of course AMD systems aren't MADE for OSX...that's why they call them hackintoshes :)

I have never been able to run anything 64 bit under my AMD systems. But with Intel systems, they just run, without any tweaking. So I guess you just can't get anything run in 64 bit mode with AMD processors.

I think what you looking for is hardwire into the app while compile, the app will actually look at the architecture of your CPU and run appropriate binary accordingly.

I have never been able to run anything 64 bit under my AMD systems. But with Intel systems, they just run, without any tweaking. So I guess you just can't get anything run in 64 bit mode with AMD processors.

I think what you looking for is hardwire into the app while compile, the app will actually look at the architecture of your CPU and run appropriate binary accordingly.

Sounds fun! Can I just recompile the Mach Kernel? Isn't that what the "hackers" do, just recompile the Darwin Kernel?

Let me know, I'd love a challenge.

Sounds fun! Can I just recompile the Mach Kernel? Isn't that what the "hackers" do, just recompile the Darwin Kernel?

Let me know, I'd love a challenge.

Well. I found this site:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

I would like to try this, but I don't want it to be fruitless. Can I build the kernel using gcc? How easy is it to boot the thing? Maybe a tutorial so I can RTFM? :) I'm serious, this sounds fun. I have programming experience, just not with kernels.

You might want to try some of these AMD/64 bit flags I added. They might help with the problem your having.

I need someone to give me feedback on them so feel free to let me know your experiences : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99891

Ok. I did the -force64 flag and this is what happens:

The kernel did not panic! This is good because it means the kernel is actually supporting 64 bit, but the problem comes with my SATA drivers. They freeze up apparently. I don't know where else to go.

But to give you feedback, it did not totally toast the kernel.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread.

But I'm having the exact same problem here! Can't install Java 1.6. It's complaining about the wrong architecture..

But now for the chocking news: I have an INTEL processor. An Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.

I have tried the -force64 boot flag (even though it is for AMDs) without any success.

Anyone know something about this?

Thx in advance

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: EP35-DS3

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Is that the info you need? Or what should I look for?

Thanks

you need to change ur model identifier to any of the real mac models using the smbios from netkas..... also u dont seem to have a serial number installed that will prevent you from installing any update using apple software update AFAIK

see what my hardware profiler says:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
 Model Identifier:	MacPro3,1
 Processor Name:	Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
 Processor Speed:	2.4 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	4
 CPU Features:	FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2	 SS HTT	 TM SSE3 MON DSCPL EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM TPR PDCM SSE4.1
 Memory:	6 GB
 Bus Speed:	1066 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (Intel Corp.)
 Serial Number:	CK034KMHK5B
 L2 Cache:	8 MB

Hi again!

My hardware overview now state:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (Award Software International, Inc.)

Serial Number: CK034KMHK5B

L2 Cache: 6 MB

But I still cannot run 64 applications. I've tried Geekbench (can only run the non-64 bit application). And it sais this:

post-279823-1220025913_thumb.png

the geekbench screenshot doesn't tell you anything. If I run the 64bit one it says 64bit. If I run the 32bit one it says 32bit...

The problem is that I can't run the 64-bit version.

post-279823-1220094421_thumb.png

then its more likely that the kernel you are running is a 32bit only.... try to switch to modbin 64 bit and try to run geekbench again

It appears that I've already have a modbin kernel:

MD5 (/mach_kernel) = 184b689417b1d97a79375db2fba38789

EDIT:

OSX86Tools states this though:

System Kernel Info:

Darwin Philip-Irris-MAC.local 9.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.4.0: Mon Jun 9 19:30:53 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Detected Kernel Version & Make:

Vanilla 9.4.0 Kernel

And where do I download the Modbin 64 kernel??

• 5 weeks later...