GeForce 9800GTX Driver Installer

~pcwiz

66 posts in this topic

NOTE: This is currently a not tested beta project which is why I need beta testers. Please make sure you have a backup of your data, and to be safe do not use it on your primary install

What I basically need is beta testers that own 9800GTX cards and are willing to install Leopard OSx86 to test out this installer. This installer is based on aqua-mac's procedure for getting the 9800GTX card working on OSx86 here. This installer basically automates the entire process, run the installer, reboot and your 9800GTX should be fully working. It uses aqua-mac's original set of replacements kexts and modified NVinject for 9800GTX. I cannot test this installer myself, as I do not have a 9800GTX to test it with, which is why I am asking that others who do have the card test it so I can finalize it and make a stable release. I have made everything as safe as possible, all the permissions have been set right, and backups are automatically made in case something goes wrong.

Download the installer ZIP (21.3MB) here. All I ask that if you test it, whether you are successful or not, please post here saying what worked/what didn't/any improvements that could have been made. If enough people chime in, then this will be finalized so it can be used without worry!

Thanks!

9800gtx.jpg

Downloaded and tested. Card recognized but Q/E reading as not supported. Tried GFX Strings method but shows white menus bug. Any suggestion?

PD\ By the way, nice idea, the installer runs flawless. Good Job! :)

Thank you both a lot for testing! The first thing that needs to happen is, while it could be the fault of the installer, we don't know for sure. So for both of your, what I suggest is that you try aqua-mac's MANUAL method of getting it working and see if it works. If you get the same result doing it manually then its probably not a problem with the installer :)

Thank you very much!

P.S. alexlyc, yes it is using all the ORIGINAL files from Aqua Mac's package. Nothing has been modified, its all just been combined into one easy installer.

BTW: You MUST have the 10.5.2 update and Leo Graphics Update installed for this to work. I forgot to add this note in the important information screen of the installer but just make sure

Hmm...maybe I will add a GFX string option to the installer :offtopic:

So you get the same results with the installer and when you are doing it manually with aquamacs instructions?

Thank You

I will get to work on adding the GFX string option

EDIT: OK I'm done making the GFX option. Too late today, I'll post up the new beta tomorrow. It uses the com.apple.Boot.plist file with the hex string that aqua mac posted on the other thread. Here is a screenshot to get you goin' :)

gfx9800jpg.jpg

At last!!! After 1 day and a half of try and fail tests, finally it works :D (Fully recognized + Q/E Enabled)

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO and there are thingies that maybe result useful:

- Download and install the Leopard Graphics Update (just to be sure)

- Delete any nvidia and related kexts.

- Use the installer (i was installing the kexts with kexthelper and finally realize that 1 or more kexts were not installed succesfully)

- Do the GFX Strings procedure (try to not change the card's name)

- Search and delete any trace of NVInject and Natit (leave the nvidia kexts alone)

- Repair permissions, rebuild cache, reboot and cross your fingers.

Good Luck!

PD\ Nice job pcwiz!

Yeah, I'm making an upgraded version of the installer that includes the GFX string installation (as seen in screenshot above) and it automatically does all that, deleting NVinject/Natit, deleting kext caches and repairing permissions, etc. So by the time this installer is finalized all that will be automated :thumbsdown_anim:

Yeah, I'm making an upgraded version of the installer that includes the GFX string installation (as seen in screenshot above) and it automatically does all that, deleting NVinject/Natit, deleting kext caches and repairing permissions, etc. So by the time this installer is finalized all that will be automated :)

Hi pcwiz,

You may like to add the following Strings that I made to your installer.

Dual_9800_GTX_Cards_Asus_P5K3_Deluxe_Strings.zip

Single_9800_GTX_Asus_P5K3_Deluxe_Strings.zip

Single_9800_GTX_Gigabyte_GA_33M_DS2R_Strings.zip

This doesn't give me the Hardware Acceleration or Q/E. I have tried deleting the NVinject/Natit. But that doesn't work. I did my gfxstrings, still no go. Any ideas? I have an Asus Maximus Formula x38.

Sure thing aqua-mac. A couple things though. PackageMaker is giving me terrible trouble, it produces a result 150MB file and even sometimes a 600MB package file when the size is supposed to be around 22MB. Dunno why its happening, trying to fix it.

you all beat Apple to it! Congrats! Can I get some xbench results for the graphics tests?

(Quartz Graphics test, openGL, & User interface) here is my curent result from an 8600GT 256mb GDDR3 card OC'd to 680Mhz

I got a 218.13

Thanks amanteboy08. I read that article earlier, but it doesn't seem to directly imply to my problem. I was researching this back some time ago but I couldn't find anything relevant :)

Thanks for trying though

i just built first hackintosh. this installer allowed me to get further into World of Warcraft launch, but it still failed with the same error that i had before i installed your updates. "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration." Thank you for making geforce 9800 drivers. please make world of warcraft work, please. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

good work! Maybe a bit "off topic" but ...

... do you need a beta tester for a GeForce 9600GT Installer? (MSI 9600GT 2048MB)? :(

I think about buying a Shuttle with 9600GT or 8800GT ...

Is the 9600GT likely to be supported in the future by apple?

Thank you very much,

liPpi