Firewire detected but doesn't seem to be working

bloodtrain

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and everything went smooth except for the forcedeth.kext which I got working after. I just connected my Canon ZR500 and switched it to play mode and iMovie doesn't detect it. I then put it in Camera mode and iChat and any other app doesn't detect it either.

I thought maybe it was the cable or port on the camera that was fried but when I check System Profiler under firewire, it shows the ZR500.

I then tried connecting a firewire PCI card but I get the same results.

I used to have JaS 10.4.8 installed and the firewire was working fine.

I have an Asus A8N-SLI.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

He meant the computer. You can't reboot Firewire all by itself. Your problem is strange because Firewire is one of those Apple things that seems to work 99.9999% of the time without any problems at all. Try booting the PC while the camera is connected and turned on.

I dont know what it is but I also noticed some strange issues with firewire with kalyway 10.5.2. What I did was restart my machine with it in and then it worked from that point forward. It seems to not mount the device. This is the same issue with USB devices. If we can figure out what kext is not loading for firewire we can fix this with a deamon. That is what I had to do for USB devices.

Awesome - I booted into Leopard with the camera connected and powered on and it works!! I haven't yet tried to reboot with the camera not connected to check if it works. I'm importing all my video off my camera first! :P

Thanks BigPimpin!

Awesome - I booted into Leopard with the camera connected and powered on and it works!! I haven't yet tried to reboot with the camera not connected to check if it works. I'm importing all my video off my camera first! :)

Thanks BigPimpin!

Good to hear - I have an Asus P5K card using the Kalyway 10.5.2 and have firewire issues using the port on the mobo as well. "See's" devices but doesn't show up on desktop. I installed a separate pci firewire card and it works fine. The mobo port only sees firewire devices after a reboot too (the pci card places device on the desktop when i it plug in). The mobo port also transfers a lot slower than the pci version.

Can't tell if it's the Asus mobo or Kalyway 10.5.2?

i had the same problem with firewire and usb devices on kaly 10.5.2.

i read a post here that said to dl the 10.5.2 update from apple and use pacifist to extract the system.kext file from the .pkg and then install it using kexthelper. it worked for me. now i can connect my vid camera and a handful of usb devices i have.

i had the same problem with firewire and usb devices on kaly 10.5.2.

i read a post here that said to dl the 10.5.2 update from apple and use pacifist to extract the system.kext file from the .pkg and then install it using kexthelper. it worked for me. now i can connect my vid camera and a handful of usb devices i have.

That solution only works for some people. I tried that first for my USB issue. I had to use the user deamon fix for it finally. See here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

This same solution should also be able to fix the Firewire issue also. We just need to know what kext is loaded when a firewire device is correctly mounted. If i used more firewire devices I would know what one already, but have not gotten around to it yet. As soon as you post the name of the firewire kext I will walk you guys through how to make the user deamon to fix this. Its pretty easy though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

This is my first post, so i'm kinda nervious... lol

I've found another forum (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789&st=40) where someone was having the same problem, he fixed it by installing some software called "Lingon" (http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Lingon-Download-11233.html) and setting the kext to load at boot.

I've tried it, and it worked for me. YAY! :P

All you do, is in lingon select "New", then choose "Users Deamons". It will give you a screen with a couple of settings to fill in. Here's what worked for me:

1 (name) : com.load.FWStarter

2 (what) : kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC

3 (when): I selected the three check boxes: "keep it running at all times no matter what happens", "run it when it is loaded by the system (at startup or login)" and "run it everytime a volume is mounted".

I hope this helps!