System:

Asus P5B

2gb pc-6400 corsair twinx

C2D E6600 (stock)

IDE DVD Burner

OSX Type:

Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso

Problem:

With the p5b I see because of the JMicron controller you must install from a SATA DVD or external dvd drive which i don't have, it is at all possible to "burn" to kalyway iso to the hard drive and install from that?

I have tried making a 10gb fat32 partition on it and extracting the iso to it, but it's unable to do that -- "Fail to create directory"

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

I have that boards little brother (p5b-vm) and have the same problems. I did try to install kalyway from an external harddrive or partition, but failed miserably. I ended up having to take my external harddrive apart, use the enclosure to make a pseudo external dvd drive. (Most external harddrives are simply internal HDs with a IDE to USB converter).

If you are brave or skilled enough to do that, it is your best option. (its not very hard, just unplug a couple of cables).

good luck

I'm also trying to do put the iso image on an external hard drive and run the installer off it (no DVD burner :) ). Not sure if it's possible but any guidance on this would be great.

someone suggested this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=666267

however I'm unsure how to get this done from Windows or that the filesystem would be able to handle how the dvd is formatted (eg: windows only sees two files on the dvd vs mac sees the entire directory - abit like how you can have an audio track on a data cd)

someone suggested this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=666267

however I'm unsure how to get this done from Windows or that the filesystem would be able to handle how the dvd is formatted (eg: windows only sees two files on the dvd vs mac sees the entire directory - abit like how you can have an audio track on a data cd)

Thanks - I'm going to try it out. I'm actually running Ubuntu Hardy Heron right now, and I was able to access the entire directory if I just dd'd straight to my usb hard drive. Didn't help because the partitions were all screwed up and it didn't boot

Hi,

I tried to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on Asus P5B Deluxe. I have the Nec IDE DVD drive on Jmicron so when I put the disc in all I got was the com.apple.Boot.plist error. I bought the IDE-to-USB converter and it boots the Kalyway disc, but just repeats another error, is there another way to get this thing working or do I have to buy a SATA DVD drive?

Thank you,

Benjamin.

• 1 month later...
Thanks - I'm going to try it out. I'm actually running Ubuntu Hardy Heron right now, and I was able to access the entire directory if I just dd'd straight to my usb hard drive. Didn't help because the partitions were all screwed up and it didn't boot

i tried this out several times making a partition and then using 'cat filename.iso > /dev/sdb1'. i tried creating it with all of the different filesystems gparted has to offer as well and none of them worked, while it worked fine for the ubuntu iso. i kept getting the message that says 'still waiting for root device.' eventually i got it working by 'burning' it to the entire drive, 'cat filename.iso > /dev/sdb'. this will clear that hard drive and there will be a small unknown partition and the rest is a 3.6gb hfs+ partition. it was able to find the root device and boot up to the welcome screen where you have to choose continue and just freezes where it is, which in my case was as far as the dvd went. back to square 1 for me but maybe some1 else could make some use of that. also, the gujin bootloader can be quite the hassle when u dont have a floppy drive. i had to use vmware with ubuntu followed by vmware with windows and magiciso to get it to an iso and eventually a cd.

My computer:

gigabyte ga-m55sli (nforce4 sli)

seagate 320gb sata hdd

amd athlon 64 5200+

4gb g.skill ddr2 800

evga geforce 8800gts 320mb

lg ide dvd-rw

• 2 months later...