Printer Sharing issues (Using SAMBA)

jbjonas

4 posts in this topic

Well, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and maybe a solution.

On my main PC, I no longer boot XP, and my LaserJet is connected to it. I can print just fine in OS X 10.4.3, but now all the other computers on my Network are stuck. They used to print by using the XP share - now, I have SAMBA set up to share the printer from OS X, but it doesn't work properly. If I print from my XP laptop, for example, XP sends the job to the SAMBA spool just fine, but on OS X, the job shows up in the completed list in the printer utility, but it never printed!! Whereas, if I print something from within OS X, it prints normally, and then shows up in the completed list next to all the SAMBA jobs that never printed...

I have tried connecting my printer to a XP box I have, and of course all the XP machines can print to that share. But when I then print to it using SAMBA from within OS X, I get a gobble-de-gook print out (all garbled). So I'm back to using the printer on the OS X box, since that's where I print from most of the time anyway. (and if absolutely necessary, I can print something to PDF from XP, and then print it from OS X - big pain in the a$$) But I know my roommate is dying for me to fix this issue - since he used to print over the network, and now has to do all his printing at his workplace :D

Anyway, I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. I must admit I'm not a SAMBA expert, though I have used it before, just not in OS X. If anyone has advice or a possible solution, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance :)

Which driver are you using in XP for the printer? The best thing to do is to select an Apple Laserwriter driver, no matter what the printer really is. You should select a Color Laserwriter for any color printer (including inkjets!) or a regular Laserwriter for B&W printers (most lasers). The PS (Postscript) variants of drivers tend to produce the best output. I have my HP PSC-1350 hooked up to my OSx86 box and on my XP machine I used the very first printer driver listed under Apple (Color Laserwriter 600/1200 PS, I think), and it prints beautifully.

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know. I have just been adding the printer from the XP network browser, and letting it automatically choose drivers from the printer host. Your idea makes a lot of sense though. Thanks again. :dev:

Thank you so much, bluedragon1971. I did what you said, and it works perfectly. Now I finally crossed off my last incompatibility, and truly have no reasons to ever boot XP again!! I really appreciate it. :2cents: