Hardware setup for leo4allv3

5 posts in this topic

hi there

i want to setup a hackintosh... my question is: which mainboard, cpu, ram should i get for high performance? can i keep my ati radeon x1950pro with the new generation of motherboards?

i'd like to go with this one:

Asus P5K-E or Intel D975XBX2KR as Motherboard

Kingston HyperX, 2x1GB, DDR2-1066, CL5 as RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Dual Core, 3.0 GHz, 6MB, FSB1333 as CPU

what do you think? may this run without problems? (incl, ethernet, audio etc?)

regards

few problems here:

1) With the Asus board, you will need some patch for ethernet and audio. No out of the box functionality here.

2) With the Intel board, I don't think that this board accept 45nm processors (E8xxx family). You have to stick to a 65nm CPU (E6xxx, E4xxx E2xxx).

3) I like to use Gigabyte boards. P35 or P965 chipsets are ok, and most of their board have no problems with LAN out of the box. For audio maybe a patch depending of the model.

4) For the x1950 pro you will need patch too... I like nvidia's 7600gt or 8600gt. Depending of the manufacter, you won't need patch.

ok?

few problems here:

1) With the Asus board, you will need some patch for ethernet and audio. No out of the box functionality here.

2) With the Intel board, I don't think that this board accept 45nm processors (E8xxx family). You have to stick to a 65nm CPU (E6xxx, E4xxx E2xxx).

3) I like to use Gigabyte boards. P35 or P965 chipsets are ok, and most of their board have no problems with LAN out of the box. For audio maybe a patch depending of the model.

4) For the x1950 pro you will need patch too... I like nvidia's 7600gt or 8600gt. Depending of the manufacter, you won't need patch.

ok?

There are Intel boards that support 45nm without issue. I have a Gigabyte DS3L and my E8400 works great. Onboard sounds working(ALC888) well as does the LAN(out of the box).

The ATI card will work with some proper drivers, but if you are going to spend money for an upgrade there are lots of Nvidia cards that work really well. I have an 8800 GTS 512 and it works great.

There are Intel boards that support 45nm without issue. I have a Gigabyte DS3L and my E8400 works great. Onboard sounds working(ALC888) well as does the LAN(out of the box).

The ATI card will work with some proper drivers, but if you are going to spend money for an upgrade there are lots of Nvidia cards that work really well. I have an 8800 GTS 512 and it works great.

hey thank you guys. so my ati card will fit in the pci-e slot of new generation motherboards? i currently have an amd4200+, 2gigs kingston hyper x ram, and my pc seems to run os x significantly faster than the new imac. (a friend just bought one). what do you think, is it even worth upgrading to this new hardware? im just upgrading because i always get this damn cl_invalid_page stuff in console :)

i really wanna make sure, i can get updates from apple without worrying about getting kernel panics :blink: is sata working out of box as well??? how about the 8800gt as gpu???

best regards and thanks! your help is really appreciated!

so my ati card will fit in the pci-e slot of new generation motherboards?
Yeah, sure, a pci-e slot is a pci-e slot...
is sata working out of box as well???
Yes. I also recommend the Gigabyte range of P-35 boards though, rather than ASUS.
how about the 8800gt as gpu???
It's a fast GPU. It's up to you if you wanna buy it or not...Your current one should work fine though.