How to create a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on my Windows HDD?

naplo

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I tried to install Leo4all v.3 on 3 different computers where there is Windows already installed but I had no success at all. I always created another FAT32 partition with Acronis and then started the Mac OSX installation from the DVD. When I selected the Disk Utility all the partitions have been shown but I couldn't reformat the FAT32 partition into Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as I wanted to. The only way was to format the whole HDD which is not acceptable...

Can you tell me what I have to do?

But even if I don't partition the unallocated 20GB at all I can't format them to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the Disk Utility! The unallocated space is just grey and all the buttons like "Options", "Revert" and "Apply" as well as the "Format:" are just grey. Am I really the only person here with that problem? Maybe its the release I was loading?! Its Leo4all v3 and the file size is 3.38GB?!

But even if I don't partition the unallocated 20GB at all I can't format them to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the Disk Utility! Am I really the only person here with that problem?

There are couple of things you need to know before doing this.

1 You must have free disk space (non partitioned) on your hdd

2 You should not have 4 primary partitions on your hdd where you have free space (because 4 primary means, no more partitioning)

3 In your partitioning scheme, you should not have secondary (extended) partition before the primary partition you will create for OSX (because if you do so, osx doesnt like to boot from it most of the time)

What does it mean? How should I partition? To get the image on your head look at the order of partitions in my examples

Partition 1 = Primary for Windows (Can be OSX depending on your choice)

Partition 2 = Primary for OSX (Can be Windows depending on your choice)

Partition 3 = Primary for OSX (Back up purposes or you can just make secondary partition so you can create more space for windows storage

Partition 4 = Primary or Secondary depending on your needs (if you made primary for 3, then definetely make secondary so you can create more partitions for windows which doesnt mind for storage.)

open command promt (CMD) and start typing

diskpart

list disk (will show you hdds list)

select disk X (choose the hdd that you wanna create the partition, and this hdd should have following criterias mentioned above)

create partition primary id=af size=XXXXX (size in megabytes, if you dont use size flag, it will use the entire free space, id=af is the flag for osx journaled partition type)

Thanks for the help. I did it exactly as you told but its still not working. There are 3 partitions:

Partition 1: Primary Windows 10GB

Partition 2: Primary formated with diskpart exactly as you described / 15GB

Partition 3: Secondary Windows Partition for data 65GB

Is there maybe another prog that is bootable from CD and can create a real Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition like Disk Utility should do? Otherwise I am just loading the Kalyway release now and I will try it with that. I am pretty sure that its an problem if the release, because I already installed older released without any of these problems.

Ok, just installed Kalyway and it worked perfectly without any troubles at all! It detected all the partitions (even the NTFS ones) and I could create the Mac OS Extended out of the unallocated space which was not possible with Leo4all v3!

Thanks Kalyway!!! :)

• 6 months later...

I got the EXACT same problem here. Also 3 partitions, one for XP, one for OSX and one for data. I was trying iDeneb 1.3 (OSX 10.5.5). :)

Guess I'll have to try Kalyway! :/

Btw, yes... It would be reaaaaally nice to have some sort of "partition magic"-like tool to format using the Mac OS Extented (Journaled) format.

• 11 months later...

The solution below worked like a charm. The Partitions order dont matter at all, but use the cmd diskpart command to setup the osx partition and you will be in great shape!

There are couple of things you need to know before doing this.

1 You must have free disk space (non partitioned) on your hdd

2 You should not have 4 primary partitions on your hdd where you have free space (because 4 primary means, no more partitioning)

3 In your partitioning scheme, you should not have secondary (extended) partition before the primary partition you will create for OSX (because if you do so, osx doesnt like to boot from it most of the time)

What does it mean? How should I partition? To get the image on your head look at the order of partitions in my examples

Partition 1 = Primary for Windows (Can be OSX depending on your choice)

Partition 2 = Primary for OSX (Can be Windows depending on your choice)

Partition 3 = Primary for OSX (Back up purposes or you can just make secondary partition so you can create more space for windows storage

Partition 4 = Primary or Secondary depending on your needs (if you made primary for 3, then definetely make secondary so you can create more partitions for windows which doesnt mind for storage.)

open command promt (CMD) and start typing

diskpart

list disk (will show you hdds list)

select disk X (choose the hdd that you wanna create the partition, and this hdd should have following criterias mentioned above)

create partition primary id=af size=XXXXX (size in megabytes, if you dont use size flag, it will use the entire free space, id=af is the flag for osx journaled partition type)