Dell Precision Workstation 670 and Kalyway 10.5.1...some parts work.

Mad Professor

6 posts in this topic

I'm installing Kalyway 10.5.1 onto a Dell Precision Workstation 670. I have reloaded this many times. I've learned lots while doing this. However, I cannot get the SCSI, network or NVIDIA drivers to work properly.

The system boots off of the SCSI for Windoze XP SP2 just fine. All of the features of the NVS 280 video card are fully accessible and the dual monitors work perfectly.

When booted into OS X (off of an IDE drive), the SCSI drive is not visible to Disk Utility, or anything else for that matter. The onboard network card doesn't work at all and the video mode is single monitor (duplicate views on both) with 1024x768 resolution only.

I plan to put in a Realtek 8139 NIC to fix the network problem. I can find no references to fixes for the video problem or the SCSI problem.

I haven't played with the SATA interface on OS X yet, but that will be needed too!

P/S 2 mouse and keyboard work perfectly without any changes. USB also works perfectly and is running at full speed. Sound is working in stereo mode, the only way that is desired at this point.

Installed with Kalyway 10.5.1. GUID mode. Checked only the AZALIA_Out option.

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater. Repaired Permissions, rebooted. Caused the circle of reboot!! Fixed by using –x during Darwin start up screen. That seemed weird, but it worked! Repaired Permissions again just to be sure.

Rebooted again just to check, it is OK.

Does anyone have any ideas for forward progress? I'm an old Amiga guy that has about 35 PCs (and laptops) and several real MACs, so I'm not exactly a novice. I'm just a novice at Hackintosh. I appreciate any assistance and will gladly post any further information.

Many Thanks,

Mad Professor

P.S. I'm doing all of this for a friend. He wanted a MAC Pro, but $3500?!!! Were into this for about $500 right now.

Update: Put in the Realtek 8139D chip NIC and it worked right away. Now at least Safari has something to do!

I hope that someone can help with the video...

• 2 weeks later...

Another update...Removed the NVS-280 and put in an XFX Nvidia 8600GT, 256 MB. Used the NVinject installer V.41 and now we have real video! That takes care of the last real issue.

Since no one responded before, I hope that this info will help anyone else that is trying to do this to the same machine.

Later Y'all!

The Mad Professor

• 1 month later...

Hi Mad,

I got a Dell 670 last week.

Now, I am planning to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on this box.

I'd like to know which sound card drive can work for your 670.

BTW: In my other Dell 390, ATI 2900 vedio card/USB sound card/RTL 8169 NIC can both work.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I have a solution for you as far as the SCSI goes. You need to format it in the bios or it will not show up in the disk utilities. If you have a windows partition on it, OSX will not read the disk. What I did was to reboot and go into the bios and do a quick format. Then, reboot to OSX and in the disk utilities the scsi drive will show up as a raw unformated disk. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...