How do you tell if you are using the Vanilla ("upgrade-safe") kernel?

starkruzr

12 posts in this topic

So, I installed 10.5.2 Kalyway on my machine tonight -- E6750, Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi AP, PNY Verto 7900 256MB, not a single hiccup. Network and sound worked out of the box, graphics worked perfectly after NVInject.

My last questions are:

1) How do you tell if you are using the vanilla kernel? The install disc never asked me which kernel I wanted to use. I've seen dialogue boxes for that elsewhere on the site, but I never saw it during install.

Phoenicis:~ jtd$ uname -a

Darwin Phoenicis.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Does that help?

2) Is it possible to just use the Boot Camp Assistant to do dual-booting?

Thanks.

So, I installed 10.5.2 Kalyway on my machine tonight -- E6750, Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi AP, PNY Verto 7900 256MB, not a single hiccup. Network and sound worked out of the box, graphics worked perfectly after NVInject.

My last questions are:

1) How do you tell if you are using the vanilla kernel? The install disc never asked me which kernel I wanted to use. I've seen dialogue boxes for that elsewhere on the site, but I never saw it during install.

Phoenicis:~ jtd$ uname -a

Darwin Phoenicis.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Does that help?

2) Is it possible to just use the Boot Camp Assistant to do dual-booting?

Thanks.

if you used Kaylway it did...when you chose which packages to install, you also chose a Vanilla or ToH kernel

if you can't remember, the kernel size will help somehow (a vanilla kernel is around 10MB, a patched ToH kernel is about 5MB)

:wacko: yours seems to be a ToH kernel... by what uname tells you

as for the 2nd question: I'd rather use the Darwin bootloader or GRUB for a bootloader (unless you installed EFI, in which case you can give BootCamp a try, but I can't help there!)

if you used Kaylway it did...when you chose which packages to install, you also chose a Vanilla or ToH kernel

if you can't remember, the kernel size will help somehow (a vanilla kernel is around 10MB, a patched ToH kernel is about 5MB)

:) yours seems to be a ToH kernel... by what uname tells you

as for the 2nd question: I'd rather use the Darwin bootloader or GRUB for a bootloader (unless you installed EFI, in which case you can give BootCamp a try, but I can't help there!)

Interesting. It also didn't ask me which packages to install, not once during the whole process.

Is it possible to change kernels now? What are the benefits of the ToH kernel?

It is possible. Check the Kalyway readme (if you can't find it, boot the disc and read the main dialogue window. It outlines how to switch your kernels around.)

When you installed it, if you had gone to "Custom" install and looked at what kernel it was set to, you would have been able to choose Vanilla. By default, 10.5.2 installs the "Sleep" kernel (which is obviously modded to enable sleep mode.) There are lots of other kernel options as well. Check the readme on how to swap to the Vanilla kernel.

It is possible. Check the Kalyway readme (if you can't find it, boot the disc and read the main dialogue window. It outlines how to switch your kernels around.)

When you installed it, if you had gone to "Custom" install and looked at what kernel it was set to, you would have been able to choose Vanilla. By default, 10.5.2 installs the "Sleep" kernel (which is obviously modded to enable sleep mode.) There are lots of other kernel options as well. Check the readme on how to swap to the Vanilla kernel.

The readme on the disc, you mean?

Regardless, I was not given the option of choosing a Custom install. The entire process was hands-off after partitioning and formatting the disc.

Before you click the install button to install OSX you can click the "customize" button to the left. From there you can choose what kernel or drivers you want or need to install. Now I'm not trying to harp or anything, but come on! There are "readme files" with every disc that gets put out, just read it first before you try and install.

Cheers,

Chevy

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but if you want to know what kernel you are running you can use the "install or restore kernel" feature in OSX86 Tools. Click the button, and before it does anything nasty to your system it reports your current kernel at the bottom of the info pane. Under the heading "Detected Kernel Version & Make" it will say something like Vanilla 9.8.0 Kernel.

Just my 5 cents.

Steve.