Boot Windows, Linux and OSx86...

Kdar

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. Learned about OSx86 not that long time ago, and want to give it a try.

I will be building my new computer this weekend, I already have all the parts.

But I want to install 3 OS on it. Which are Windows, Kubuntu and OSx86.

In what order and how would I need to install them? I guess I would need to have Windows installed first.

But then.. Should I install Linux o OSx86 first?

I am just worrying about boot manager... Will Linux's boot loader detect OSx86?

Or I can use some other boot manager? I heard about some boot manager from Acronis...

Have anyone used it before?

I'm performing a similar operation. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, however, and I'm still trying to figure out if that can even run Leopard. What I planned on doing was partitioning my 60GB HD into three 19GB partitions, and installing (in this order) Windows XP, Leopard, and Ubuntu Hardy Heron (which was released yesterday.) Linux's Grub should see the other two installs and set them up accordingly. The only one I can see having an issue with is the Leopard install, so if Grub loads your Windows and Kubuntu just fine, then check somewhere on the forums for the fix for getting Grub to work.

I have used Acronis' OS Manager, and really like the interface. It had nice icons for each install it detected, and the mouse support was really cool too. I have only used it in one XP/Tiger dual-boot situation, and that was several months ago, so I don't really know how buggy it is.

My laptop came with Vista pre-installed, so I installed EasyBCD (free graphical BCDedit) then XP Pro. Third, I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and these three are now all available from the bootloader. Next I'm going to add Ubuntu - the choices are install Grub to Ubuntus own partition then add it to the EasyBCD boot menu or install Ubuntu to a disk file from Windows using Wubi

Kdar,

Here is how I did my tri-boot setup. Started with a 250 gig HD for my laptop. Used vista to create 3 approx 80 gig partitions. Installed Vista first. next I installed Ubuntu Gusty to the 2nd partition, it had no problem setting up GRUB and finding the Vista partition.and configuring it for the boot loader. Finally I installed iATKOS 1.0ir2 on the third partition, using MBR and EFI. Added "boot_v8" to Gusty's /boot directory and edited GRUB's boot menu to add Leopard. Otherwise all operating systems are untouched. Only issue is the Darwin boot loader want to boot Vista first instead of Leopard at this time. I will attempt to put together a guide on how I did this, but there may already be something here as well.

David