Help! - Mystery Leopard system clock slowdown

bobdotorg

2 posts in this topic

My system clock has been running slow, and I finally isolated the problem (sort of) - swapping out the CPU fixes the problem.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (unfortunately I don't have another mobo to test the CPU)

With an E6700 the clock works fine. (65nm / 1066 FSB)

Swap in an engineering sample E8300 (45nm / 1333 FSB) causes the clock to run slow (loses a few seconds per minute), and I can't play 1080p video without the sound being stuttering after 5 or so seconds.

I've tried Kalyway and Leo4All, and the system slows down under each. About a billion permutations of BIOS settings haven't solved it either.

The CPU / FSB / DDR speeds all show up correctly under system profiler.

What's aggravating is that everything worked fine with the E8300 for about two days, and then it crapped out when friends came over to watch a movie.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
My system clock has been running slow, and I finally isolated the problem (sort of) - swapping out the CPU fixes the problem.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (unfortunately I don't have another mobo to test the CPU)

With an E6700 the clock works fine. (65nm / 1066 FSB)

Swap in an engineering sample E8300 (45nm / 1333 FSB) causes the clock to run slow (loses a few seconds per minute), and I can't play 1080p video without the sound being stuttering after 5 or so seconds.

I've tried Kalyway and Leo4All, and the system slows down under each. About a billion permutations of BIOS settings haven't solved it either.

The CPU / FSB / DDR speeds all show up correctly under system profiler.

What's aggravating is that everything worked fine with the E8300 for about two days, and then it crapped out when friends came over to watch a movie.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Same thing with Q9300 but not an engineering sample, just a typical cheap 45nm CPU.

Problem started when I upgraded from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3.

I cannot reproduce this problem on 10.5.2, on XP or just leaving it in Bios over night.

Been trying to find a solution for weeks :( -- Might just downgrade to 10.5.2.

EDIT: Found solution! - details here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112531