Complete Leopard Reinstall Using Time Machine Backup

meansizzler

16 posts in this topic

OK making this as simple as possible, this guide will show you how to restore the system completely using a Time Machine Backup and OSX boot disc eg.. Kalway 10.5.1.. This has been Tested on a C2D System Using Vanilla Kernel and GUID [Kalway 10.5.1]

PREFACE:

Advantages of Using Time Machine is that it allows you to make a complete backup of your system state, so when you have it stable and set up how you want it, i.e all drivers and apps installed, standby fully working , updates installed, and you can use Time Machine to save the system state so you can revert back it it in case mac os get corrupted

WHAT YOU NEED:

USB Stick

OSX Install disk, eg.. Kalway 10.5.1

USB Hard Drive or Storage Device used for Time Machine Backup

Bootloader Files [DOWNLOAD]

CREATING TIME MACHINE BACKUP:

- Connect the drive you want to use for your Time Machine Backup to your system

- From the Taskbar open the Time Machine Preferences and select "Change Disk" and select the disk to use for your Time Machine Backup

- Use "Options" to exclude other drives attached to your system from the backup

- Turn the Time Machine to the "Off" State and close the window

- Now Turn off any antivirus programs you have running and any background apps, it's a good idea to clean Safari's Cache and Repair Permissions with Disk Utility

- Once you are happy with your system state click the Time Machine Icon on the Taskbar and select "Back Up Now", and wait till the Time Machine Backup Completes..

RESTORING SYSTEM:

- Unzip the Downloaded Bootloader files and copy both folders contained within it to a USB stick, make sure to the to Name the Stick "USBSTICK"

- Leave the USB Stick attached and connect and power on the drive with your Time Machine Backup

- Reboot/Switch on your system with the OSX disc inserted and boot from it

- Once it has Loaded select Utilities>Restore System

- Select the Backup you want to use from the Time Machine Drive and follow the on screen instructions to Proceed

- Once the system has been restored it will restart, leave the OSX disc in there and boot from it again as you now how to Install the Bootloader

- Once the Disc has loaded Open up a Terminal Windows and type the following

sudo -s (then enter your root password)

skip the above step if you don't use a password

cd /Volumes/USBSTICK/bootefi

yes there is a space after cd

./bootefi.sh "installvolumename"

where installvolumename is the volume name of the drive that OSX was installed to. The installvolumename should be surrounded by double quotes. Example: ./bootefi.sh "MacHD" or ./bootefi.sh "Macintosh HD"

Now simply follow the prompts and choices based on the type of bootloader/hard drive partition type you used for the initial install/Time Machine Backup. Since I'm using Kalway and EFI with GUID I Selected EFI for the bootloader and GUID for the hard drive partition type.

At the end, the script will ask to either reboot or stay in Terminal and reboot later, select reebot

Wait a few seconds and some lines of code will appear after they have finished quit terminal and restart, remove the Install Disc when the machine reebots.

If it is not working you have either installed the wrong bootloader/hard drive partition type or there is a problem with your time machine backup

*NOTE* I took the terminal code from a post on this site but just made packaged it into a step by step guide, so thanks to who ever posted it.

you can also boot into the restore with the cd and then find the EFI package on the kalyway cd and instal it like you install a program. no terminal required nor a boot to the install dvd

Instructions pleas,e you boot the disc then where do you go form there, what do you pen, what do you type?, even the tech savvy don't find such things straight forward..

if you get a blinking line when you boot, put the kalyway disk into the drive and when it says "press enter to boot from cd, hit enter. this should boot into your install. then open the cd. there should be 3 options. one is install osx and one is the manual. the other one is the one you want to click on. if you open one of the directorys, i dot remember which, you will se a folder called packages. inside that are all the packages on the cd. scroll down to the one that says "boot_EFI_guid" or "boot_EFI_MBR". pick the one that matches the way the hdd is partitioned and install it that way. when you reboot you sould have darwin bootloader.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mac Partition is behind an NTFS XP Partition.

The Mac one is Active (boot) and XP is booted by the Mac Bootmanager (F8)

Will restore from Install Disk (Kalyway) work behind the existing XP Partition (Without killing it :))?

If it works:

What should I do with the old Mac Partition?

Delete before Restore?

And if I should delete, should i create a new one with same size before Restore or will the Install Disk do this for me? (Disk is MBR, not GUID)

• 2 months later...

Excellent guide. The crippling thing for me is that the startup DVD had no USB 2.0 support on my mobo, so a restore would take ~20 hours. Ouch. A quicker alternative to this is to just use Carbon Copy Cloner and add an EFI_v8 bootloader using OSx86 Tools Suite. Worked great for my rig. Even incremental backups work. Cloning to an external USB drive, and can boot off of it.

Leo4Allv43 10.5.2 -> 10.5.3 with Zephyroth AMD update -> 10.5.4 with Zephyroth update

AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3400+ (939)

Foxconn 6150 Mobo

2x PATA HD

1x PATA DVD

QE/CI working with MSI 7300LE 256MB (NVinject, kext mods and NVCAP mod)

2.25GB RAM

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...