Two problems: booting up and shutting down

lilmul123

4 posts in this topic

First time poster! Many a time lurker!

I just got Kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla kernel installed (after numerous tries), and I've finally got it working to an acceptable quality. Now I have a couple problems.

First, for some reason, I guess the hard drive doesn't have the boot loader on it. I can boot Mac OS X using the install DVD, but it won't boot by itself. How do I make it boot by itself?

Second, the computer doesn't shut down completely. The screen goes black and the monitor shuts off, but ends there. I have to hold down the power button to get it to go itself. How can I get it to totally shut down?

Thanks for your help.

Try this....

Both of you search for "cannot boot without DVD" or "Unable to boot without DVD" on google, include "insanelymac"

that should solve problem one!

If you have loaded sound drivers with AppleHDA there is a good chance that your system WON'T shut down! This has been here since the beginning of time :) !

You can the "sleep kernel from netkas" (search it) or you merely do a "RESTART" and then power your machine off when it reboots!

Remember, Google is your friend!

SticMAN

I actually have these exact same two problems. Please help those in need!

Most of the tutorials I found only had to deal with MBR partitions, and I used GUID. Reinstalling the entire OS is a last resort because it took a few hours to get it just how I like it.

And for question 2, lol it's not a huge deal. I prefer having my sound + annoying shut down glitch than an alternate kernel anyday. Thanks