Leo freezes randomly during session

revolutionbr

6 posts in this topic

Hey, can any one help me with this issue?

I got Leopard (iatkos 1.2 pre-patched for nforce) 10.5.1 installed on my PC on a separate HD and it's working perfectly, except that sometimes it freezes. Windows stop responding and then the cursor shows up like loading and the system hangs for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes so much to respond so I need to reboot, but this is annoying me.

I've tried to monitor the CPU and Memory load with an utility that comes with Leopard, but it doesn't show anything wrong overloading my pc. I believe this could be some sort of kext problem.

Any insights?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the nForce chipset us we have, related to the network. Does the system hang after/during heavy internet usage?

quote from this post

# On board or Any network card: on board nic is a dream to work right now, and other nics that has a driver made around 10.4.8 or earlier doesnt work on Leopard correctly and has either freeze problems or network drops under heavy usage!!!! These network cards, are RTL 8139,8169 and some other models, as I said , have drivers but all these drivers made around 10.4.8 or earlier version of OSX. Although they work fine on normal usage, they drop network, under heavy usage, or can give freeze problem on some mobos while using programs like azureus or similar... below two wireless network cards, are quite new and they have official driver from manufacturer and their drivers are compiled to work on Leopard and they work fine under heavy usage or with network programs and doesnt cause drops or freeze (unlike other cards are made for 10.4.8 or earlier)

+ Linksys WUSB54GC (reported OK) (driver on my update package named under network drivers: RT73_2500_2870 USB Wireless)

+ Netgear WG111V3 wireless card (My suggestion) (driver on my update package under network drivers: RTL8187B USB Wireless

You can either get one of those wireless cards, or do what I just did today. I found a spare PCI ethernet adapter [onboard nForce ethernet does not work either], and bought a Netgear Wireless Print Server, which is basically a 4 port wireless ethernet bridge. Internet goes from router to Netgear bridge to ethernet to computer. Works fine so far, I haven't had any crashes.

I've found the problem!

I first tought it was related to heavy network usage, but i'm using an USB Wireless Device and the problem shows up when I have a high Disk usage.

After checking the activity monitor again, i've found that Finder was not responding.

The solution was simple: remove com.apple.finder.plist on /library/preferences/

Then reboot or just log off and login again.

This have fixed the problem ;)

If you guys are having this problem, try checking if Finder isn't the problem, force quit it might restore if for a while, then you try doing this little tweak.

(no problem in deleting this file, as soon you relog, a new one will be created which will prob. be not corrupted)