I Screwed my Windows Box

rob356

14 posts in this topic

Well I had decided to install Ubuntu Linux on my old Windows Machine. It went fine, I had made a space for it in my hard drive within windows. Then I went to go back to Windows XP, and it says "Missing file "Hal.DLL" Please reinstall this file. I did some researching and found what to do to fix it.So I went to recovery console, and my admin password didn't work! So I used my "Ultimate Boot CD" and reset the password, and it still didn't work! So I went to go back to Ubuntu, and all I got was the Windows Boot-loader with no Ubuntu option! With much futzing around I got Vista to boot, not XP. That was worthless. But I could add an entry for Ubuntu within Vista. I did that, and it didn't work, won't boot. I am stuck.

For those who don't want to read,

- How can I fix the "Missing Hall.DLL" if my admin password won't work in recovery console.

- If I can't How can I mount the drive on my Mac and get my data from it?

Thanks.

thing is that my password dosen't work. So I cannot log into Recovery Console. I have even reset it using the Ultimate Boot CD. It still dosen't work. Do you know what could be wrong? Why my password, even blanked, dosen't work?

thing is that my password dosen't work. So I cannot log into Recovery Console. I have even reset it using the Ultimate Boot CD. It still dosen't work. Do you know what could be wrong? Why my password, even blanked, dosen't work?

Did you try logging into the "Administrator" account?

Thats all it gives me. It says, "please enter the Password for the Administrator account." I enter it, wrong. I even blanked the password and tried that, wrong. I was just going to now repartition, put XP on, get some of my data that I needed, then reformat WHOLE drive and reinstall. After all,that install was sarting to feel "dirty." :D

Jeez - I was just going to tell him to reformat the whole drive for MacOS and be done with that M$ {censored}... :P

I lost the password that my MacBook Air had. I had to transfer all the {censored} through the root account to my other account. I couldn't reset it, even through sudo passwd. The Mac OS X Install DVD didn't work either.

I lost the password that my MacBook Air had. I had to transfer all the {censored} through the root account to my other account. I couldn't reset it, even through sudo passwd. The Mac OS X Install DVD didn't work either.

That gave me a good chuckle lol

:(