OSX 86 Extreme beginner, Driver help

2 posts in this topic

So I successfully installed OSX 10.5.2 on my Dell Inspiron E1505 using Leo4Allv2.

I was kinda following an old tutorial and during the install the tut. said not to install any third party drivers cause it could screw up the installation. So I skipped that and successfully installed OSX.

How do I install drivers now that I can boot up?

I don't think there is a working driver for my wireless card, but it would be nice to get a better resolution and possibly sound.

hiernest.gifIntegrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD is my sound and

945GM Graphics Controller for video

Step by step would be really appreciated since I'm soo new to this. Thanks

I don't know about your specific hardware but I can give you the nickel tour for installing device drivers. You'll see a lot of recommandtions to type this or type that, but the bottom line is this:

A device driver is called a 'kext' (kernel extension). The ones used every time the PC boots are located in /System/Library/Extensions. A "kext" there is actually a directory, although when browsing them with Finder they look like individual files.

To add a kext (device driver), you copy the kext (directory and all the files in it including all the subdirectories) to /System/Library/Extensions. Then you update your "kext caches", reboot, and the kext should be loaded. To remove a kext, you simply remove the subdirectory (the kext) from /System/Library/Extensions, update the caches, and reboot.

The actual commands to do all those things can get confusing if you're not used to doing things from the command line, but in essence that's really all there is to it. It gets a little more complicated if you're replacing a kext, because you'll want to make sure you move or copy the old one someplace else first. That way if you have problems you can restore the old one and be back where you started.

It's important to remember that you can do all of the above from single-user mode, so even if you hose your graphics card drivers, for instance, and can't boot to the Desktop, you always have the ability to put things back the way they were.