Install Mac EFI on my PC

Apokarteron

9 posts in this topic

dude, thats kinda the dumbest question i ever heard here. respect! you think this community is so damn big when everyone can jsut install osx on any crappy p4 box from the original dvd?!? do you think apple is that stupid? in wich world are you living? how about start with reading (google/wikipedia) and thinking what osx86 is about. you saved my day with this laugher thanx :) sorry for my hard words, but that was nuts man.

Wow wow wow!!

Obviously Apple won't let you install Mac OS on PC boxes, but if you install Apple's EFI/Bios on your PC, the Mac OS X Install Disk will think you're installing on a Mac while you're installing on a normal PC.

I nailed yo ass on da flo'.

@Apokarteron

First off, EFI alone will not allow you to run OSX natively. Second, we do not know if your computer can even run OSX 10.4, much more 10.5 without your system specs. Third, there is a lot of information about how to run and install OSX w/ EFI emulation on the forums. But how you posted your question makes us think you didn't use the search button first. Try looking around and reading about how to install OSX on a PC, then if you still need help you ask the question. At least after doing some research, you'll understand the process a little bit more.

I was able to install OSX on my machine with out even having to ask for anyones help when I first started. Think of it as a challenge. There's a lot of people here willing to help you, but you need to take the first step and help yourself. Sorry if I'm sounding like a prick, but there are a lot of people here on these boards asking the same questions everyday which have been answered a million times in the past. Again, search before you ask

edit:

Obviously Apple won't let you install Mac OS on PC boxes, but if you install Apple's EFI/Bios on your PC, the Mac OS X Install Disk will think you're installing on a Mac while you're installing on a normal PC.

Yeah, you do not know what EFI is. Again do some research.

I have a Pentium 4 I bought in 2004. Can I install the Mac EFI on it and run Leopard "natively"? That is, install Leopard from the original, unpatched DVD onto my Pentium 4 Box?

Short answer: No

Long answer: No. Unless you have an Apple Mac, all installations have to be patched. Yes, you can install PC-EFI (which is NOT an Apple product) which can mean a more 'vanilla' install (closer to original). But vanilla Leopard requires a Core 2 Duo processor. Like my old P4 machine, your P4 may not even support SSE3. This doesn't mean you can't install, just that performance will be poor - I got Tiger (OS X 10.4) running on mine, but never tried installing Leopard on it. Your best option to install on your current hardware is one of the ready-rolled patched installers, like Kalway or Leo4all (assuming they support your P4), and then be prepared to spend a lot of time getting all of your hardware to work.

Sorry for the terse responses, but people post on here every day the same questions without doing research. I answer these occasionally in the hope that someone will look at this post and not post the same question, sparing the newbie from being flamed. Of course, it doesn't happen, and people say this is an unwelcoming community; it isn't, you just have to get up to speed with it first, then your questions will be appropriate and the answers constructive.

• 1 month later...

I have a Pentium IV on a ASUS P5K and iatkos Leopard 10.5.1 run as my first OS. It's fast and I have few problems with some programs. I install EFI from iatkos and Leopard from the same DVD. I haven't idea if original Leopard DVD works on EFI emulation.

:huh:

• 10 months later...
I have a Pentium 4 I bought in 2004. Can I install the Mac EFI on it and run Leopard "natively"? That is, install Leopard from the original, unpatched DVD onto my Pentium 4 Box?

Thanks

As far as I know you must have a Dual-Core+ processor (Pentium Dual-Core, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc.), I'm not sure if it works on a P4 HT but I would say no.

And about Mac EFI, you can't just install it, EFI means Extensible Firmware Interface, it's a replacement of BIOS, although there are tools like PC EFI and Chameleon they are just emulators of it.

If you want something more like the real EFI, buy an EFI-X module (and a newer PC).

PS Sorry for my bad english.

I installed retail 10.5.6 on my P4 today, using a Chameleon 2.0 boot CD and the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel.

All modifications are running from the EFI partition.

It can be done.