I did NOT have to use the tech preview to get 10.7.4 to boot. I used this information to get 10.7.4 to boot on Workstation 8.0.3. I don't remember where I got it from, but it was one of the other Mac virutalization/help forums out there. Found it through a search on Google. The first part is what I did to get Lion to boot properly after upgrading from Snow Leopard, and the 2nd part is what I did to get it to 10.7.4 to work on workstation 8.0.3. I haven't upgraded to 8.0.4 yet.
cp -a AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext
touch -c /System/Library/Extensions
I succeeded in installing OS 10.7.4 under Workstation 8.0.3 for Windows as follows
- Get the combo update for 10.7.4 from Apple [don't use software update.]
- Retain AppleSMC.kext v3.1.1d8 from OS 10.7.3.
- Create a snapshot.
- Open a root Terminal.
- Run the combo update under OS 10.7.3.
- Don't press restart when the update completes.
- Goto /System/Library/Extensions in the root Terminal.
- remove AppleSMC.kext, or move it to a backup location.
- restore AppleSMC.kext from OS 10.7.3 that you retained.
- touch /System/Library/Extensions.
- Now press restart in the installer window.
- The system should restart successfully.
I have attached the AppleSMC.kext I downloaded from the site I got this info. I was unable to properly copy out my 10.7.3 kext and copy it back. I'm not very good with Mac OS yet, so somebody else may have better luck. I'm sure they are just assuming some of the steps are known.
Hope this helps.