Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About rtrtrtrt

  • Rank
    InsanelyMac Protégé
  1. Hi all, Some great back and forth discussion going on here. Once all of the kinks have been ironed out, would it be possible for someone to lay out the steps in a summary post please. I'd definitely find it a great help and I suspect there'd be quite a few others who'd appreciate it too. rt
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. Thats good news re 1920x1080 - I use 1680/1050 just because it matches the laptop I screen share from. Think I have a 6450 video card somewhere - will have to see if I can dig it out. I think I may give your 10.10.5 method a go at the weekend.
  3. Guess you screen share in to manage it. What screen res do you manage to get? I really need more than a default of 1024/768 - ideally 1680x1050
  4. My boot disk on my SL N36 has given up at the weekend. So although I have a CCC backup, I'm wondering if this is the time to consider a later version. How have people gotten on over the last few months? Whats the clearest step by step write up out there? Not sure there'll be anything quite as good as Janitors original though
  5. Has anyone tried to get OSX Server running? Interested in successes or failures...
  6. Hi Splonk, As I have 2 of the older AMD Gen 7's I'm keen to continue using them. One is a Windows 8 machine thats not used a great deal, but is there if a backup Windows desktop is needed by anyone. The other is Snow Leopard and is used much more often, esp with remote access from other Macs. Seems I have 3 options for the Snow Leopard box; 1. Continue on SL - Works well and my previous browser issues have settled, so I'm putting that down to simply too many tabs/windows. Longer term I'm concerned about interworking with up to date Macs - Yosemite and beyond. 2. Go to Mavericks - not realistic with the remote access issues. 3. Look at another OS - Windows or Linux. Am open minded here, but either option is additional complexity of running 2 OS's and tbh doesn't really appeal. So I'll likely stick with SL, but check back here occasionally to see if other Mavericks installed Gen 7s have similar issues to Martin or not and if they have, how have have solved them.
  7. I'm wondering if any others experienced the VNC/Screen Share issues that martinW did? If you did, any steer on a fix? Not sure i'll go to Mavericks, if remote access causes those kinds of problems. Things to think about...
  8. Hi Guys, it's been quite some time since I came back, to thank Janitor way back in late 2013. I can see that things have moved on & there are a load of new posts to get through. I started tonight but realised I need to set aside some time to do it properly. Like others, I have 2 Microservers a '36 and a '40. The '36 is still successfully running SL and has been a server & occasional Internet / light use machine. I'm starting to have Safari crash problems with some sites, so came back to see what was what. The '40 is on Win 8, not 8.1 as I've not yet got around to upgrading the BIOS to fix the ethernet issue. I'm now thinking of maybe upgrading the '36 and the '40 to Mavericks or even Yosemite, but given the slow processors I'm not sure which is the 'lightest' OS? As I say, I'll read all the new posts in order soon, but I just wanted to reply to Saf and martinW above re the screen resolution. I can say that on my '36 with no additional graphics card I can get 1680 x 1050 about 50% of the time on a reboot. When it 'fails' it gives 1440 x 1050 - I used to reboot at that point until I got the 1680 x 1050 but after a while i decided 1440 x 1050 was fine for the 50% of the time it happened. I'm not sure what I did in detail to get those results as it's been a few years now, but I remember trying all of the steps in those early posts. I think there's a good chance it's related to having a screen attached to the VGA port on boot. I have an old dell 1680x1050 screen plugged in and it's a much nicer res to remote in at as well. If you don't have a screen, there is something that may help - note not tried it just a thought. There's a way to 'fool' a mac mini to display higher resolutions when remoting in. It's something to do with soldering a resistor across 2 pins in a spare vga connector. Then the mini thinks it has a screen plugged in and allows higher res settings. Google may find it - try mac mini server screen resolution fix or somehitng similar. Good to be back :-) Edit To say that my above screen sharing/1680 x 1050 on internal vga is on snow leopard, so probably not relevant to what Saf/martinW were saying
  9. had a few hdd problems recently so used ccc to backup volumes, move them around and so on. somehow i 'broke' the installation so that whilst it would still boot i needed to hit return during the boot and sometimes needed to press the power button when the boot got stuck. all of that i probably would've lived with, but then i noticed that the micro server was only running with one cpu core. after several hours of looking at the OP and trying different options a simple reinstall of chameleon 2.0 820 gave me an interaction free boot and both cores back. so just came back to say thanks to Janitor (again)
  10. Ok thanks Splonk. Will take a look inside and maybe try to prove thats the issue by installing the other updates excl that one as well. I use mine online so would be good to find a way to install security changes.
  11. Hi All, Been a while since Ive been on here. I see Nawcom is working on an AMD kernel for Lion. Though Ive still not tried it on my macbook, so not sure i'd migrate the HP unless it gives better support for the HP hardware - in which case i'd definitely do it. Anyway onto my problem and hopefully some advice. I've just tried to update to latest SL both by running software update and downloading the individual update files from apple.com. The 4 updates are; Java for Mac OS X Update 9 Apple Software Installer Update Safari 5.1.7 Security Update 2012-002 The last 3 have the require restart after instal mark. After running software update for all 4 but not restarting, I run the kernel package and then reboot. I left the 64bit option unticked on the kernel. Interestingly after selecting restart I get a message on screen saying there are software updates to install - but surely I've installed them already? When you go ahead and accept this then surely whatever changes are being made at this stage are overwriting the kernel package changes? I then get stuck in a boot / restart cycle. Next I tried the download the updates separately method. Ran all 4 packages in the order above, ignoring the reboot button for each of the last 3, ran the kernel package and rebooted. Same boot / restart cycle. Is there another way that I'm missing to keep the HP up to date on SL? rtrt Might be worth breaking step 5 down into separate sections? If i remember correctly when i originally installed i used carbon copy cloner a lot to back up at each stage - so I got usb working and have a backup of that, same with network and graphics. It was a while ago tho so not sure if my memory is accurate! well this orignal post is for SL so i'd go with that
  12. re Scan - that was a fantastic deal - wouldve picked one up myself. maybe 2 with one as a christmas present. good the card works for you. as you say now just need to see if you can get bodgeit and leggit to help out!
  13. Just tried the patched kext Splonk - put it in s/l/e then repaired permissions, rebuilt cache and rebooted - no difference. Still showing as 480Mbs in sys profiler. Is there anything here useful do you think http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...239311&st=0 I'm wondering if during my build i didn't follow janitors and others intructions from this thread. As a relative newcomer to the hackintosh world it's easy to miss or forget something....... for example I ran software update recently and updated a few things and got kp's afterwards. I'd forgot that i needed to reload the legacy kernel Will redo that as a job for next weekend - hope to have the ethernet card by then too.
  14. You can see that the inability to cut down on the lhs as far as you need to, means that the bracket isn't straight. rhs needs to be bent at the level that the screw can enagage with the server chassis. Hopefully you can see that half of the mounting tab remains attached to the bracket and so secures the card to the bracket Card isn't really straight in the chassis, but i certainly seem to have got away with it. I don't think PCIE is a precision engineered system ie i think there's a bit of slack that I managed to take advantage of. Card is firmly held so you can plug/unplug cables no problem. The cutting involves a bit of trial and error - in this case I measured twice and still got it wrong! Didn't matter as I hadn't gone to far 'into' the bracket and so the screw still gripped there and the other side. This is my practice card - a cheap esata i picked up way back. That one was bent straight and sat in the chassis straight too.
  15. Re Lycom card and LP bracket - agreed - if it was still available at that price wouldve probably gone for it, but it was around double that so decided to cheap out instead HPs been stable now for over 6 days - so looks like my <48hr lockup problem was the USB boot drive after all. Downloaded the USB 3 kext you linked thanks - will try that tomorrow. Re the card - it's definitely mechanically stable. I know what you mean about the 2nd screw postion. I cut the bracket to allow the 2nd screw clip to stay partially attached from the bracket to the card, which meant I couldn't bend the bracket straight. Let me edit the pic tomorrow to highlight the right part. Btw for those who dont know already, the replacement HP Microserver with the slightly faster processor, now has the £100 cashback offer on for november. Tempted to pick one up to experiment with Linux, as I've never used it for more than 10 minutes on friends machines. Since HP will sell it with Red Hat then i'm assuming any of the distros will work well.