I have been reading and testing then re-reading and re-testing then over and over again ever since SL retail came out. But I still can't get it to work on my laptop: Gateway MX8738.
I noticed in some users' signatures it shows that they have MX8738 with SL, so I am hoping that someone can point in the right direction (actual steps, KEXT, whatever that helps)... I have no problem with searching and reading, but I think I am not searching the right info at the right places..
FYI- IPC 10.5.6 installed and ran great on the MX8738 (except for the Intel 10/100VE NIC).
MX8738 has Core2Duo, IntelGM945 Video, Realtek Wifi, Sigmatel Sound, and Intel 10/100VE. So it seems to be an idea candidate for OSX86 installs.
Here is what I have done or trying to do...
- Partitioned drive for GUID with 2 partitions (40GB and 120GB)
- Installed IPC 10.5.6 on 40GB then added/updated KEXT to fine tune to it works great
- now using 10.5.6 boot to prep and install SL onto 120GB
- tried Chameleon 1.0, 2.0 RC1, 2.0 RC2, 2.0 RC3 (each with disk erase and clean reinstall of SL)
- the bootloaders seems fine as it does boot into SL volume but I get a Kernel Panic everytime. (AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext... I think)
- bios does not offer ANY choices for SATA/IDE/RAID settings. when I downgraded it from Vista to XP I had to stream SATA drivers into a WinXP CD first.
- I have only added the KEXT files downloaded from the ZIP file from two of the similar tutorials on the web - the ones that comes up on top of every google search)... so I DIDNOT add AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from netkas.