Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About scalar

  • Rank
    InsanelyMac Protégé
  1. Too hot & not enough power, unfortunately. Quadro it is then...
  2. Well I know my GTX460 works fine without nvidia drivers, and it was never an official Apple supported card. I know several people using flashed 750Ti's as well, and to my knowledge there was never a Mac version (officially). And yea, I know about editing the kext's plist entry for the OS build number, but I am a one man operation with 8 computers here, 3 of which are Apple (2 are Mac Pro's) and I'm starting to get to the point where reducing maintenance time is a major concern. Appreciate your input =)
  3. You might want to boot to an older OS installed to a temp or external drive (or to a Windows install) and run something like furmark to confirm that you haven't had RAM go bad on that card. That's 100% what it looks like to me... It's also possible that you're having issues with temp control on the RAM chips (and VRAM), which is another known issue on 980 series cards but in most cases it wasn't severe enough to be an issue. This really depends on the Cooling design of the card you have, in the case of EVGA ACX2.0/3.0 cards there's NO vrm/ram cooling at all and it was a small issue in the 980 cards and mostly affected overclockers doing benchmarkes. This issue became bad enough with the 10x0 series cards however that they finally had to acknowledge it, and it's been found on cards from other manufacturers but to date I think only EVGA publicly acknowledged it: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-gtx-10701080-cards-almost-all-of-them-have-overheating-issues.html ----------------- Now for my question, I've got a GTX960 4GB (short form factor) in my Mac Pro 3,1, and have been getting tired of waiting on nvidia web driver updates after OS installs so I was going to have it swapped for a card that is supported by the stock apple driver AND get one that is EFI flashed so I don't have to swap cards to perform hardware/disk maintenance. I understand that the web drivers will still be needed to get PCIe 2.0 speeds, but having a card that works stock would be nice. So a few questions for anyone here that's informed enough: What's the highest nvidia card series that has support by the Apple drivers? (750ti-780?) Flashing a card to support EFI wouldn't enable the Apple drivers where they don't otherwise work, correct? (ie, my gtx960 will still need web drivers to work at desktop, I will only gain boot screen support with the EFI flash...?) I'm considering moving to 10.12.x via editing the repository for the Apple store (the known fix) and already have the MacVidCards BT4.0/Wifi card upgrade which was the main reason for the 3,1 not getting 10.12 support. So I'd like to get a card that avoids the 2-5 day wait for Nvidia every time Apple issues a security update.. Thanks!
  4. I've got a Supermicro X7DWA-n system that I run 10.7.5 on. I was fairly active with the OSX86 scene from 10.4.x up through the early 10.7 days when I wound up being too busy to keep up anymore (plus it was getting rather technical with UEFI hacks and more than just DSDT patching). I had been using my Mac Pro 3,1 to keep my X7DWA-n 'dialed in', and was mostly interested in OSX86 as a way to learn more about the 'bare metal' under OSX. This benefitted me a lot in my working life, but now things have come full circle a bit. My Mac Pro is dead... Since it was running 10.9, and my laptop (which isn't up to replacing a Mac Pro in terms of performance) is on 10.10, my question is what's a good path from my 10.7.5 chameleon+semi-DSDT patched system up to the modern OSX86 world?
  5. Hi guys, I've been running a few years using a DSDT that Maldon originally helped me patch when I was running 667mhz fsb 5400 series Xeons (5430's) & 667mhz fb-dimms. I now have 5462's and 8 sticks of 800mhz FB-dimms, and I keep burning the damn things out when booted to OSX for any period of time. In reading & coming up to speed, I noticed Maldon's older tool that I used before has locked threads now (DSDT auto-patcher) and so want to go about figuring out the current best strategy. RTC? EHCI? Swap the pci root device issue? etc... But before that, what is the most current set of utils to use to dump my tables from Windows so I can get the most current PCI/PCIe device tree and hopefully account for the different cpu's & ram that I have now? Thanks for any help and I'm willing to expand this topic as needed if I learn enough as I go...
  6. scalar

    How can I assign different IRQs for EUSB and USBE?

    17 is a shared IRQ under the APIC controller, and since DSDT is remapping ACPI tables you probably don't want to map this to a nonshared IRQ here. Usually what I do is start upstream and reset any existing allocation table in the system bios/efi of your motherboard and disable any unused components (com/parallel style {censored} if you don't use it. Also are you SURE you don't have any other devices connected to the same root device? Intel's USB controllers are a little funny, if you have a 1.0 or 1.1 device sharing with your NI audio device, you'll get a bridge adapter to separate out the high speed device and it LOOKS like they're not on separate busses but you'll notice the 1.0/1.1 devices will still fall under the primary enhanced controller in the device tree. System profiler should obviously make it easy to see devices and where they connect in the 'tree'. Bridge devices always appear 'under' the main enhanced controller when a slower device is present with a 2.0 device, and they 'bridge' the faster device(s) causing issues in my experience. What I do is use quality hubs (there are generic ones that I've found to be IDEAL, Multi-TTM chips and 1 amp per port), then I take note of ALL of my device speeds. Any 1.0/1.1 devices either get directly attached to the system (Novation Nocturn & my keyboard seem to work best this way) or are all on a hub so they're sharing the same port. Suddenly you'll notice the non-"enhanced" controllers are getting used! Now you should be able to find a port for your NI audio device that doesn't put it as sharing with any other device on that device tree. You can btw find this info under WIndows as well using a utility called USBDevView from nirsoft or I actually prefer MS's code Example from VisualStudio called USBView which has been nicely compiled for us by Uwe Sieber and provided for download on his site.
  7. scalar

    iAtkos L2 is OUT!

    Updaters to 10.7.3 post their reports...?
  8. Well it turns out that 10.6.8 supplemental update is just unstable for me, as is the 1.1 combo update. Something has changed that affects disk activity, I managed to use my 10.6.7 backup partition to restore over 10.6.8 (using CCC/SD) and then updated it again and started seeing all KINDS of issues...now the thing is to figure out why. 10.6.7 is stable & fine...
  9. scalar

    10.6.8 officially released

  10. scalar

    10.6.8 officially released

    I hear you, having some issues myself: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...264209&st=0
  11. scalar

    10.6.8 officially released

    You can use your installation media, but getting the disk to be writeable might be a challenge (mount -uw / only mounts your installation media as writeable, not other volumes). I forget how to do that offhand... I typically keep a 'backup' partition to avoid these issues, but atm I can't get my primary 10.6.8 to boot after the 'supplemental update'...
  12. Had 10.6.8 working fine with just updates to fakesmc, chameleon new version & some edits to com.apple.Boot.plist aka org.cham.Boot.plist...did not need npci=0x2000 (only had to fix en0 issue for app store) and did not need to remove/replace AppleHDA, AppleACPIPlatform.kext or IOPCIFamily.kext...(just did dsdt/pinconf for AppleHDA again). So after 10.6.8 supplemental update I've got no ability to boot. Tried replacing AppleHDA, IOPCIFamily.kext & AppleACPIPlatform.kext to no avail... I did notice that NV kexts have changed, but aside from removing some fakesmc plugins (which you can see missing in the shot below) I'm not sure how else to proceeed. Anyone have any idea? It's just hanging at start, left it sitting for hours without change. Kernel is still responsive, it will register usb devices that are connected & disconnected (those last 2 msgs are NOT errors, just reporting a device is present). Really at a loss here as to how to proceed. My GUESS is either the nvidia drivers are causing problems or some boot cache I had somehow missed previously has changed and caused something to no longer register (unlikely though I use several utilities to clean boot caches besides just the typical command line methods on a regular basis).
  13. That's only once you get rebooted. Sleepenabler was probably the issue. Learn to backup to a spare partition (with enough room) using CCC or SuperDuper in clone mode before updating, you can simply select that from your bootloader's starting screen if things go awry during updates and fix issues MUCH easier than other alternatives.
  14. scalar

    Mac app store issues?

    Do a search on the exact string that the error is giving, and you'll get your answer.