Help with Skulltrail and Leopard please?

PsYcHoKiLLa

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I've built an Intel Skulltrail system, the "guts" are as follows :

Intel Skulltrail (D5400XS) motherboard

2 x Intel QX9775 processors

16GB Crucial FBDIMM Memory 800MHz

2 x MSI 8800GTS 512MB

1 x 150GB Raptor Enterprise (Vista Ultimate x64 installed on this)

1 x 1TB Western Digital

1 x 200GB Western Digital

Intel Pro/1000 Network Connection

I unplugged both the Raptor and the 1TB drive to leave a 200GB sata drive to install Leopard on (was going to use the Vista DVD to create a boot menu when the Leopard was working and I plugged all the drives back in)

I tried installing the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd which seemed to work (Was shown the "Install is a success" with the large green tick) but when I restarted when prompted and left the computer to boot, the screen went grey and I got a message telling me I would need to restart, I did this and the same message kept coming up.

I tried this both with the drive using the MBR and the GUID partitions.

When I tried installing the iATKOS 1.0i R2 then restarted (Install was shown to be a success with this too), I just got a message saying "B0 Error".

I also tried this both with the drive using the MBR and the GUID partitions.

I followed the instructions on a few Youtube entries which showed Kalyway and iATKOS being installed but to no avail.

I'd really like to try Leopard on my PC and I think it should run helluva fast and smooth, I thought with most of it being Intel based it should work properly.

Also, is there an x64 version of Leopard anywhere?

Any help would be great guys.

Thanks

...watches the tumbleweed roll by...

:unsure:

This might be a new record, bumping a thread after 35 minutes. :(

The B0 error is usually related to the partition not be marked active.

BTW, After installing Kalyway and you got the restart error screen, you should have booted with the following boot options: debug=0x100 -v

That would have listed much more useful info about what was causing the problem.

Just found this :

If you look at the specs of Skulltrail they look very similar to that of Apple's second generation Mac Pro. While the old V8 platform wasn't exactly well received by the enthusiast community, many working on custom PCs running OS X used V8 to build their own Hackintosh Mac Pro. We were hoping that Skulltrail would make for an equally good starting point for a Hackintosh. While the latest OSx86 releases will install on the D5400XS with some effort, we couldn't get beyond a kernel panic upon booting into Leopard. We suspect that the NVIDIA MCPs are at fault as they are in-line with the PCIe x16 slots and can't be disabled.

As the OSx86 community already has Leopard working on AMD platforms, we tend to believe that some clever work may be able to make Skulltrail the ideal Hackintosh Pro platform but out of the box it doesn't work.

Source : Anandtech

Oh well, S'pose it might happen later on. Cmon Boffins :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I've built an Intel Skulltrail system, the "guts" are as follows :I unplugged both the Raptor and the 1TB drive to leave a 200GB sata drive to install Leopard on (was going to use the Vista DVD to create a boot menu when the Leopard was working and I plugged all the drives back in)I tried installing the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd which seemed to work (Was shown the "Install is a success" with the large green tick) but when I restarted when prompted and left the computer to boot, the screen went grey and I got a message telling me I would need to restart, I did this and the same message kept coming up.I tried this both with the drive using the MBR and the GUID partitions.When I tried installing the iATKOS 1.0i R2 then restarted (Install was shown to be a success with this too), I just got a message saying "B0 Error".I also tried this both with the drive using the MBR and the GUID partitions.I followed the instructions on a few Youtube entries which showed Kalyway and iATKOS being installed but to no avail.I'd really like to try Leopard on my PC and I think it should run helluva fast and smooth, I thought with most of it being Intel based it should work properly. Also, is there an x64 version of Leopard anywhere?Any help would be great guys.Thanks

Dude... Don't fret ... I'll help you in this... it took a few days but I have my Skulltrail up and about... 2 quad harpertowns and 4 gigs of FB-Dimms... Kalyway 10.5.2.. off of Pirate Torrent... Ok... it wasn't easy for me too but I got itThe thing that really screwed me up was the boot loader. It seemed like I was wasting my time over and over again. First Proof:l_90b88ef75f583cfdc976984e6e73874f.jpgl_d7ee03d70c1df0dd38b8ccd54368f622.jpgl_52c85371dceda7bacc21fa077d794af4.jpg

l_ca2721b5a0cc473c0792006b8307c216.jpg

This process was aided by Leopard on my real mac pro... easiest.(

MAC PRO) ---->

Format/Partition your SATA/IDE drive for GUID name it... whatever you want.nextOk bootloader EFI/Patch : Thanks to ccg... download this file.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26723

<End of MAC PRO usage>

install newly partitioned and bootefi installed SATA.next boot up into Kalyway 10.5.2... this download was ridiculously fast... tons of Peers and seeders; when I got it :)

When installing do not attempt to use disk utility again.

Install... customize (options for install)

Install Vanilla Kernel and try to install all drivers for various devices... worked for me. Skip all the BS like Fonts and Printers... save the space... The installer also comes with some really cool programs too : )

Once finished... it should shutdown... cross your fingers and power up.

Reboot. F2 during intel logo screen. Default Bios... Leopard works in Default Bios for our board.

When it restarts Darwin bootloader will should show.

I have a HIS ATI X1950Pro 256M video card. works out of the box.

Ethernet worked till I rebooted lost it.

My fix was an extra gigabit ethernet card lying among my messy room. Stick it in PCI slot... not PCI-e. Once I rebooted... it worked flawlessly.

Audio was another hassel... quickly figured it out.

Get this program: Thanks to Taruga

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18273

and this file: Thanks to babgolis

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=19895

drag file into program icon on desktop... let it do it's thing.. upon reboot your audio will work.

That's it for now brother... will keep you posted on further findings.

Just found this :Source : AnandtechOh well, S'pose it might happen later on. Cmon Boffins :)

That's because at Anandtech they are all HOMOS!!!!!

P.S Mac OS X is 64bit!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't actually have a Mac, only the Skulltrail PC. Also, I don't really have room to put another Network card in cos I have 2 gfx cards and a tv card installed. I'll be watercooling my graphics cards soon so hopefully that will free some of the space from the fan assemblies.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't actually have a Mac, only the Skulltrail PC. Also, I don't really have room to put another Network card in cos I have 2 gfx cards and a tv card installed. I'll be watercooling my graphics cards soon so hopefully that will free some of the space from the fan assemblies.

You can also start the disk / boot installer with Kalyway disk... USB

• 10 months later...
Guest BuildSmart
Dude... Don't fret ... I'll help you in this... it took a few days but I have my Skulltrail up and about... 2 quad harpertowns and 4 gigs of FB-Dimms... Kalyway 10.5.2.. off of Pirate Torrent... Ok... it wasn't easy for me too but I got itThe thing that really screwed me up was the boot loader. It seemed like I was wasting my time over and over again. First Proof:l_90b88ef75f583cfdc976984e6e73874f.jpgl_d7ee03d70c1df0dd38b8ccd54368f622.jpgl_52c85371dceda7bacc21fa077d794af4.jpg

l_ca2721b5a0cc473c0792006b8307c216.jpg

This process was aided by Leopard on my real mac pro... easiest.(

MAC PRO) ---->

Format/Partition your SATA/IDE drive for GUID name it... whatever you want.nextOk bootloader EFI/Patch : Thanks to ccg... download this file.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26723

<End of MAC PRO usage>

install newly partitioned and bootefi installed SATA.next boot up into Kalyway 10.5.2... this download was ridiculously fast... tons of Peers and seeders; when I got it :)

When installing do not attempt to use disk utility again.

Install... customize (options for install)

Install Vanilla Kernel and try to install all drivers for various devices... worked for me. Skip all the BS like Fonts and Printers... save the space... The installer also comes with some really cool programs too : )

Once finished... it should shutdown... cross your fingers and power up.

Reboot. F2 during intel logo screen. Default Bios... Leopard works in Default Bios for our board.

When it restarts Darwin bootloader will should show.

I have a HIS ATI X1950Pro 256M video card. works out of the box.

Ethernet worked till I rebooted lost it.

My fix was an extra gigabit ethernet card lying among my messy room. Stick it in PCI slot... not PCI-e. Once I rebooted... it worked flawlessly.

Audio was another hassel... quickly figured it out.

Get this program: Thanks to Taruga

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18273

and this file: Thanks to babgolis

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=19895

drag file into program icon on desktop... let it do it's thing.. upon reboot your audio will work.

That's it for now brother... will keep you posted on further findings.

That's because at Anandtech they are all HOMOS!!!!!

P.S Mac OS X is 64bit!!!!!!!

Nice CPU coolers, what are they and where can I get them??? (links appreciated)