Wireless on Compaq Presario C500 Laptop

SURFDUE

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am new at Darwin, but not Unix or Linux. I have a compaq presario C500 I have searched high and low for drivers or specifications of the wifi card in the laptop. Any help as to a manual or exact specification, or a driver perhaps would be greatly apprecaited. I have also installed iwidarwin, restarted, but the airport isnt activated as an option in add a network yet. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks so much for any help!

Unfortunately you are not the only one with this problem. I too have a Presario C500 and would have a PERFECT install if it wasn't for this problem.

From the looks of other threads here it seems to be a hardware recognition problem.

I'd say you'd be better off buying a USB adapter.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello!

I am new at Darwin, but not Unix or Linux. I have a compaq presario C500 I have searched high and low for drivers or specifications of the wifi card in the laptop. Any help as to a manual or exact specification, or a driver perhaps would be greatly apprecaited. I have also installed iwidarwin, restarted, but the airport isnt activated as an option in add a network yet. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks so much for any help!

This kext is all you need to get wifi working on the C500. Back it up 2 or 3 times, and save it, because this kext is a pain in the ass to come by! This should also work on the C300 presario.

Note: This kext was works on my C500 with SL 10.6.3, I cannot say if it will also work on Leo, but I believe it will.

Just use kext helper, or install to S/L/E, and reboot (assuming that you have enabled brcm4311 wifi during your install)

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

• 4 months later...
This kext is all you need to get wifi working on the C500. Back it up 2 or 3 times, and save it, because this kext is a pain in the ass to come by! This should also work on the C300 presario.

Note: This kext was works on my C500 with SL 10.6.3, I cannot say if it will also work on Leo, but I believe it will.

Just use kext helper, or install to S/L/E, and reboot (assuming that you have enabled brcm4311 wifi during your install)

thanks for the kext man was just wondering which method did you use to install snow leopard onto your c500 ive had no luck with 10.6 so far :D

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the kext man was just wondering which method did you use to install snow leopard onto your c500 ive had no luck with 10.6 so far ;)

I used 10.6.6 by Hazzard and I had a successful install except for wifi and sound the first try on my C500.

• 1 month later...
I used 10.6.6 by Hazzard and I had a successful install except for wifi and sound the first try on my C500.

you wouldn't happen to remember what install options you choose.. I just installed Iatkos s3 v2 and I took me forever to get the right options for the gma950, and shortly after, I broke the display, now i have a new lcd on order.. and am looking at half a screen that works for the moment... attempting to get wifi working again.. I've tried several kext files

that are, or are based off of the chun nan fix.. I'm yet to find a working solution...

I'm going to try and find hazzard now.. Thanks for sharing

you wouldn't happen to remember what install options you choose.. I just installed Iatkos s3 v2 and I took me forever to get the right options for the gma950, and shortly after, I broke the display, now i have a new lcd on order.. and am looking at half a screen that works for the moment... attempting to get wifi working again.. I've tried several kext files

that are, or are based off of the chun nan fix.. I'm yet to find a working solution...

I'm going to try and find hazzard now.. Thanks for sharing

I got it.. I just fisnished installing , just need to do some minor tweaks to get sata working I hope.. when I'm done i'll share what i did just incase any newbies don't want to spend to much time reinstalling... thanks again wifi works very very well

I got it.. I just fisnished installing , just need to do some minor tweaks to get sata working I hope.. when I'm done i'll share what i did just incase any newbies don't want to spend to much time reinstalling... thanks again wifi works very very well

ioata panic fix (google it its for dsdt)