Pure Vanilla Leopard install for ASUS P5K-E

macmaniac

17 posts in this topic

I have borrowed heavily from karaakeha1's post here. Please read it.

The purpose of this post is to allow ASUS P5K-E users to try karaakeha1's vanilla install without encountering problems.

You will need a retail leopard DMG.

You need to already have a bootable Leopard partition on your ASUS P5K-E.

You will need another HDD to partition as GUID, and install EFI v8 on.

You will need the kexts and script available here. EDITED. Script was missing deleting AppleEFIRuntime.kext

You need to know your way in Terminal, and how to set active partitions, and install EFI. I will not provide directions or technical assistance in these matters. If you already have a bootable Leopard on your P5K-E, you shouldn't have to ask for any help from me.

I did not include a patched kext for the Jmicron controller, you can do that yourself.

INSTRUCTIONS.

Boot into pre-existing Leopard install, ( a bit of a catch-22, isn't it ;) )

A. Prepare target drive:

1. Format/partition GUID

2. Install EFI v8 as per instructions elsewhere

** I recommend testing, by booting into this drive and looking for the "plist not found error"

B. Vanilla install:

1. Mount RETAIL Leopard 10.5 dmg or DVD

2. In Terminal (login as root), type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

3. Complete the installation to your prepared target drive

C. Patch for P5K-E

1. Place p5kekexts folder in root of current booted hdd.

2. **Edit HDD path in shell script using text edit.** DON'T FORGET THIS STEP!!!

3. Open terminal, log in as root.

3. Drag script into terminal window.

4. Enter.

If all goes well, you should be able to boot into your 10.5 vanilla install, with correct HHD icons,network and sound(out) working.

Then update to 10.5.1

Usually at this point, I use Migration Assistant and Time machine to import all my user settings/files/apps back.

EDITED script. Should work now.

I'm actually looking at a P5K-E Wireless right now, to replace this 650i board that is {censored} with Leopard. It seems to be a pretty solid board for Leopard, can you tell me what to expect out of the box with a release like Kalyway or iATKOS iR2?

can you shutdown probably?can you sleep with your ati1900? with nvidia8600gt sleep works but not with ati hd2600XT...do the e-sata ports work with your kexts?Can you please link to the EFI 8 tutorial you used?
Shutdown is like many other MOBOs... works well if machine hasn't slept.Sleep is 100% . Wake with power button. 100%Don't know about eSata. Thats JMicron, never bothered with it.EFI is stickied at the top of this forum.
I'm actually looking at a P5K-E Wireless right now, to replace this 650i board that is {censored} with Leopard. It seems to be a pretty solid board for Leopard, can you tell me what to expect out of the box with a release like Kalyway or iATKOS iR2?
I started with BrazilMac, then did EFI v8. This works well.Haven't tried Kalyway or iATKOS.

HexiDecimal,

Install

DVD ''USE SATA OR USB-DVD DRIVE, not ATA on jmicron it can't read HFS''

P5k-e wifi/ap, use kalyway "the one from around the 20th december 2007... don't know exact date " with vanilla "mbr efi", 1988b sound...

set anything to AHCI in bios! "Diskutility choose ZERO erase option for a couple of minutes than partition you harddisk in normal fashion"

Working everything except... SHUTDOWN

Out of the box, lan, firewire, usb, esata jmicron "hotswap"all ATA ports jmicron, all sata ports ICH9, audio 2 channel analogue.

***wifi requires patching? remove yukon2 from ionetworking familiy and install Realtek USB wifi driver... that seems to fix the wifi...***

The board is stable with a q6600, sleep works fine when using nvinject and nvidia "8600", sleep doesn't work with ati hd2600xt/pro.

Shutdown is a {censored}, but that seems to be to problem with a lot of machines running Vanilla kernel.

Possible shutdown sollutions?

People have alot of idea's about this... use USB keyboard from apple... set poweroff option in bios to 4sec delay... disable other CORES... only disable cores when shutting down "onecore.c.zip"... etc etc, shutdown is just inconsequent, it can shutdown 5 times in a row or not... then you have to wait a couple of minutes or press power button for 5 seconds to turn the RIG off...

Macmaniac, will have a look into the brazil efi story...

• 2 weeks later...

Can DO! Exactly the same procedure with my Dell Dimension 9200(XPS410)

EXCEPT

I load a com.apple.Boot.plist with my AUDIO, VIDEO, AND 3Com NIC in and everything works!

SticMAN

"I'm a happy little piggy"

I have borrowed heavily from karaakeha1's post here. Please read it.

The purpose of this post is to allow ASUS P5K-E users to try karaakeha1's vanilla install without encountering problems.

You will need a retail leopard DMG.

You need to already have a bootable Leopard partition on your ASUS P5K-E.

You will need another HDD to partition as GUID, and install EFI v8 on.

You will need the kexts and script available here. EDITED. Script was missing deleting AppleEFIRuntime.kext

You need to know your way in Terminal, and how to set active partitions, and install EFI. I will not provide directions or technical assistance in these matters. If you already have a bootable Leopard on your P5K-E, you shouldn't have to ask for any help from me.

I did not include a patched kext for the Jmicron controller, you can do that yourself.

INSTRUCTIONS.

Boot into pre-existing Leopard install, ( a bit of a catch-22, isn't it :( )

A. Prepare target drive:

1. Format/partition GUID

2. Install EFI v8 as per instructions elsewhere

** I recommend testing, by booting into this drive and looking for the "plist not found error"

B. Vanilla install:

1. Mount RETAIL Leopard 10.5 dmg or DVD

2. In Terminal (login as root), type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

3. Complete the installation to your prepared target drive

C. Patch for P5K-E

4. Enter.

If all goes well, you should be able to boot into your 10.5 vanilla install, with correct HHD icons,network and sound(out) working.

Then update to 10.5.1

Usually at this point, I use Migration Assistant and Time machine to import all my user settings/files/apps back.

EDITED script. Should work now.

mDNSresponder ERROR!!! when trying to boot RETAIL LEOPARD...

FIX...

Directly after the retail installation when you press the ok/finish/greenmark button... go to terminal...

type:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx

"xxx is name of the volume where/guid retail leopard is installed"

after that add dsmos.kext

delete AppleIntelCPUpowermanagment.kext

chown -R 0:0 *

chmod -R 755 *

fix permissions in diskutil!

with p5ke-wifi/ap no EXTRA kexts needed to be added... only extra to fix audio/networking/video/e-sata/wifi/ich9yellowiconfix/etc

You have a P5K-E? Can you tell me how to solve the root device error? I can't find the settings in the BIOS to set SATA as AHCI, and I think that's what you have to do.

I keep getting this circle with a line through it when I try to install Leopard, and after searching through the forum someone said the installer is waiting for root device. The fix is to switch SATA to AHCI or something. How do you do that?

You have a P5K-E? Can you tell me how to solve the root device error? I can't find the settings in the BIOS to set SATA as AHCI, and I think that's what you have to do.

I keep getting this circle with a line through it when I try to install Leopard, and after searching through the forum someone said the installer is waiting for root device. The fix is to switch SATA to AHCI or something. How do you do that?

Please describe more of your situation.. what have you been doing... which leopard versions? what hardware? sata pata? etc etc upgrade your bios maybe? etc?etc?etc?

boot in verbose mode that will say alot more than"I keep getting this circle with a line through it"

Walterav, could you please explain this to me. ***wifi requires patching? remove yukon2 from ionetworking familiy and install Realtek USB wifi driver... that seems to fix the wifi...*** i have the realtek driver but do not know how to exactly remove the yukon2 from ionet family safely..... thanks

That would be good!

What I did was:

-copy ionetworkingfamily.kext to desktop

-open package

-click on contents

-click on one of the two folders contained (can't remember which one - but only one contains further kexts)

-delete the kext which has yukon2 in its name

-then use the kexthelper utility which comes with kalyway's installation (in the applications folder) to install the changed kext from the desktop

-reboot.

I have not tried everything yet, but my wifi connection still keeps dropping.

If you get anything moving, please tell me!

• 2 weeks later...

After doing this a few more times, I realized that I should update this thread. I found that it doesn't always work UNLESS you enable owners, and repair permissions.

So here is the update:

Part A: Format Drive

1. Boot into working Leopard

2. Format target HDD as GUID/MacOS Extended Journaled

3. Open Terminal.app, sudo –s, password

4. diskutil list, make note of /dev/diskXsY where X=device, Y=Partition, Y is usually 2.

5. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsY , mbr invalid, initialize? y

6. update

7. f 2

8. write

9. y

10. exit

Part B: Install EFI (make sure target drive is UNmounted)

1. cd /Volumes/USBDRIVE/pc_efi_v80

2. ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk3s2 ./boot_v8

3. dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

4. dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Part C: Install Leopard

1. Mount retail Leopard to desktop

2. cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

3. open osinstall.mpkg

4. complete installation

5. enable owners: sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

6. repair permissions: diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

Part D: Apply necessary patches as previously described.

karaakeha1 says to remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext, but I leave it be. Works fine with it. At least with P5K-E :)

• 5 months later...

hi macmaniac, are you sure you have a vanilla working installation ? I ask because I tried several times and I can boot only if I use a hacked kernel instead of vanilla.

Also, regarding the last step about p5kekexts, it ask wether to remove or not AppleCPUIntel kext... what's the right answer ? ^_^

thanks for any help

Bah, I don't get it: I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 and 10.5.2, iatKos.1.0, 1.0r2, 2.0. I also tried the procedure described here and the result is always the same: I can install and use Leopard but not with vanilla kernel. So what I don't understand why with you guys vanilla is working ?

Afterall the hardware is almost the same:

Asus P5K-E (tried with 1002 and 1003 bios releases)

asus 8800GT

2 GB ram Corsair

1 WD 500GB

1 LG SATA DVD

Well if you have any possible suggestion contact me, thanks !

• 2 months later...

This DOES work. I had to follow these steps after a failed 10.5.5 update.

P5K-E WIFI APP users:

To get 10.5.5 to work, when you update:

first, backup:

AppleAHCIPort.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

you must delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext the moment it appears. or use netkas terminal trick

you must correctly reinstall the above kexts. otherwise you will be waiting for root device when you reboot

• 4 weeks later...
After doing this a few more times, I realized that I should update this thread. I found that it doesn't always work UNLESS you enable owners, and repair permissions.

So here is the update:

Part A: Format Drive

1. Boot into working Leopard

2. Format target HDD as GUID/MacOS Extended Journaled

3. Open Terminal.app, sudo –s, password

4. diskutil list, make note of /dev/diskXsY where X=device, Y=Partition, Y is usually 2.

5. fdisk -e /dev/rdiskXsY , mbr invalid, initialize? y

6. update

7. f 2

8. write

9. y

10. exit

Part B: Install EFI (make sure target drive is UNmounted)

1. cd /Volumes/USBDRIVE/pc_efi_v80

2. ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk3s2 ./boot_v8

3. dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

4. dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

Part C: Install Leopard

3. open osinstall.mpkg

4. complete installation

Part D: Apply necessary patches as previously described.

karaakeha1 says to remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext, but I leave it be. Works fine with it. At least with P5K-E ;)

Hey Everyone I was having trouble with part B and I figured it out I'm just posting in case anyone else had trouble also.

on part 3. dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 the rdiskXsY is your drive that you are going to put the retail on. for example mine was disk0s2.

But on part 4. dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 The diskx is the same thing without the last 2 digits for example mine was disk0 instead of disk0s2.

It seems like a no brainer, but I had trouble with it.

~~~~~Also

I feel that Karaakeha1 has an easier way of installing the EFI. Not so much terminal.

A)

To install Chameleon EFI -its very simple because now it has installer . just run and select the right drive

For EFI v8

1) Put the two files EFI.sh & folder pc_efi_v80 on desktop.

2) Open in text edit EFI.sh.

3) Change the part where it says "Patch="/Users/(YOUR USER NAME)/Desktop/pc_efi_v80" to your user name

4)Change diskXsY and DiskX to your drive (remember mine was Disk0s1 and Disk0)

Make sure you ejected the drive on which you are installing leopard .

5) Open terminal

6) sudo -s (enter)

7) password (enter) .

8) Now drag drop EFI.sh into terminal and hit enter.

After installing EFI your drive would be mounted again

9) When asked to restart you select No

Part B: Install Leopard

3. open osinstall.mpkg

4. complete installation

C) Renaming Dont steal Mac

Go To Terminal:

Type in (without the # sign)

# pico /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Look for the following string: "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

If you find it, rename it to: "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

D) Patch for P5K-E

4. Enter.

It seems like a lot to do, but it's not. I just put it step by step.