Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Unfortunately, not working for me. I have Atheros AR5007EG (Atheros AR5BXB63) in my Acer Aspire 3680.

This is what I got from dmesg:-

Registering For 802.11 Events
[HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Is Supported
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
GFX0: family specific matching fails
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 2
Matching service count = 4
Matching service count = 5
ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2
[b]start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully[/b]
GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled

hm do you know your device and vendor ids?

Vendor ID = 168c

Device ID = 001c

I got this from windows. It already in the Info.plist.

pci168c,1c

Do you have any idea?

Edit: How do you turn ON your wireless? Do you have "soft-switch"? Because I do.

could anyone please tell me how to install the driver correctly?

i did it the way i posted an got that panic...

i reinstalled mac osx, but i got to get it working, cus my ethernet card doesnt work either..

i got the same vendor & device id as kizwan

Step to install IO80211Family.kext.zip file posted by TheTimster:-

1) Unzip the file at Desktop (for example) and you should get IO80211Family.kext folder

2) Make backup for your existing IO80211Family.kext folder (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext) to safe location.

-- Run this in terminal:

$ sudo -s

$ mkdir /BackupExt

$ cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /BackupExt/

3) Now you have your original kext file in /BackupExt folder. This usefull if you have problem later.

4) Now you have to copy the IO80211Family.kext folder from Desktop to original location

$ cp -R /Users/<your login id>/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

5) Remove kextcache file, so OS X will rebuild it at reboot.

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) Fix permission

$ diskutil repairPermissions /

7) Reboot

If you got kernel panic after reboot, boot with your installation DVD and use Terminal program to restore the original KEXT file from backup. Your partition should mount in /Volumes folder, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

ati chipsets seem to be picky, you may not have pci support, do a search for your chipset and possible pci problems. as for kizwan, what chipset do you have under the hood. as i said im running the intel 945gm. also make sure you wireless hard swtich is on and in the bios wireless is enabled. also be sure that you dont have any other drivers refenceing to your card. look for another possible wireless driver in your extensions dir. this is stupid but try adding 00 in from of 1c in the info.plist file for the device id, it could work, not sure though. what version of osx are you running. im on 10.4.9, 10.4.10 is known to not work. i cant even get the kernel to run on my machine. im waiting for a semthex release. leathl, what is the dev and vendor id of your ethernet? make sure it mathes the info.plist. also, as per your audio not working, jsut reinstall the driver. usually that fizes conflicts. make sure your ethernet is on bsd port en2. let me know what happens guys!

My Atheros AR5007EG have AR5BXB63 chipset. I describe my setup at my sig below. I have soft-switch to turn ON my wireless. My chipset also Intel 945GM.

I have play around with Fedora 7 to get my Atheros AR5007EG working since madwifi cannot get it to work.

Somebody has suggest me to use ndiswrapper but my system hang when I try to use it. Just yesterday I noticed one module in Fedora 7 kernel prevent ndiswrapper function properly. I just recompile my kernel, and my Atheros detected and functioning.

This maybe nothing todo with Mac OS X. But it prove the soft-switch thing has nothing todo with my atheros failed to recognized in Mac OS X.

No, wlan stil not working. I think existing driver unable to bring atheros wlan to online. That is why we got message "loaded unsuccessfully". The driver try to load because it detected our atheros, however it failed to get atheros to online. So we need to fine another way so atheros will online right after we switch on our laptop. However I don't know how. :)

Fedora 7 is redhat base linux operating system. Ndiswrapper is a software that allowed linux to use windows driver for certain hardware. This software allow us to use hardware that not yet supported/recognized by linux OS. For example, normally for wireless driver for linux, we just need to install madwifi driver. However for some hardware like Atheros AR5007EG, that not yet supported by madwifi, we can use windows driver with ndiswrapper to get it working under linux.

Is there anybody know what this mean?

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

It should mean something.

I think Apple update for Mac-Intel should be ok with hackintosh. But use it with caution.

maybe we need to get a working pci driver.. j
Thats's EXACTLY it !!! I put a ORIGINAL APPLE Atheros 5006X WLAN Mini PCI Express card into my Toshiba Laptop, with Apples very own

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

</array>

even according to Ubuntu, and it is NOT working, no matter with which approach. The crux right now are wrong values somewhere in the PCI and/or ACPI kexts of some of our Laptops which differ from those Apple is shipping those kexts with.

WE NEED HELP :( ! please

kizwan, i noticed your hackintosh is referencing to the atheros5424 driver. this is the wrong driver. if you replaced io80211family.kext like i directed earlier, the atheros 5424 wouldnt exist. only appleatheros.kext is in my io80211family.kext. please REPLACE your current kext with mine. then tell me what happens. leathl, i think the problem you are having is becasue of the ati chipset you are running. as for your sound, most sound card dont come up in profiler, but they work anyway. input usually doesnt work but headphone jacks do. dont bother trying to get the card to come up in profiler, you never will. and im glad you froun the katana drivers, i forgot about those. as per your memory not being detected, that doesnt matter because all you need to run the UI perfectly is 32MB. you will never be able to game on that thing so dont worry about it. for your wlan, like i said, i think its your chipset thats causing the problem. try searching for a 200m pci driver, or maybe a modified ati acpi driver. as per your ac port, dont worry about that either, as long as it charges and runs from ac, it doesnt matter.

Hi TheTimster...

I have try your attachment... but it's still the same... my Atheros AR5006EG stil not working... it is detected by system profiler as AIRPORT EXTREME with device id: 0x168C and product id: 0x100

btw I've got you a PM... please check it out...

TheTimster, I'm already using your IO80211Family.kext file and only AirPortAtheros.kext file exist. No other atheros kext file exist. But still got the same error:-

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

It really weird because it still refering to Atheros5424. This is what I see in System Profiler:-

AirPortAtheros:

Version:	2.3.5
 Last Modified:	28 Feb 2007 11:32 AM
 Get Info String:	2.3.5, Copyright © 2006–2007 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 Location:	/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext
 kext Version:	235.9.3
 Load Address:	0x3341a000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Incomplete
 Dependency Errors:
 com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 Integrity:	Kext is modified

IO80211Family:

Version:	1.6.2
 Last Modified:	7/31/07 4:22 AM
 Get Info String:	1.6.2, Copyright © 2005–2007 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 kext Version:	162.1
 Load Address:	0x332ac000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Satisfied
 Integrity:	Kext is modified

Could you give me your IOPCIFamily.kext file and apple80211 file to me?

apple80211 folder can be found at:-

/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Headers/IOKit/apple80211/

Thanks.

did you remember to clear the kext caches?

Yes. I do this:-

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Repair permission:-

diskutil repairPermissions /

This is the content of Info.plist inside AirPortAtheros.kext:-

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Athr5424ab</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

As you can see, at IOClass key, you can see AirPort_Athr5424ab string. This is from kext file I copy from you. I think that why it called 5424 driver. Do you have any idea?

did you remember to clear the kext caches?

Hi TheTimster,

I will do fresh installation today, (JaS) 10.4.8, and then upgrade to 10.4.9. I don't have installation DVD for uphuck though. I will try to put your IO802 kext file and see what happen. I could download uphuck 10.4.9, but it will take 2-3 days to complete, but I will download if this attempt still failed. Could you post your IOPCIFamiliy.kext kext file and apple80211 folder? I believe this is the dependancy for IO8022Family.kext kext file. Your help is really appreciated. :ninja: thanks.

i have some headers from another thread about atheros wifi. may be this headers helps you

Thank you very much, ZaiS. Actually, I have tested that "Headers" and not working. :)

I think TheTimster has different kext and Header file. So, I tried to get that file from him.

How is your wireless? Is it working?

I tired your kext -  AirPortAtheros shows up in the System profiler->Extensions, but it shows a dependency error with 'com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family: No valid version of this dependency can be found'.

System Preferences->Network still crashes.

Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4 r3

Acer Aspire 5570-2997

Ethernet (Marvell Fast Ethernet Adaptor) and Atheros AR5007EG wireless still don't work, and it shows 'No Information Found' for everything in Network in 'About This Mac...'

Thank you very much, ZaiS. Actually, I have tested that "Headers" and not working. :wacko:

I think TheTimster has different kext and Header file. So, I tried to get that file from him.

How is your wireless? Is it working?

You are welcome.

Unfortunately my Atheros 5007 does not work.