Radeon Xpress 200M

thedopefishlives

483 posts in this topic

I know this chipset is rather old and somewhat ill-favored around here, but for my own personal satisfaction and for those of you who might actually use it, progress is officially underway toward getting hardware graphics acceleration (what little there is of it) working on these chips. I've been keeping track of the dri-devel mailing list, and someone said he had the chip "mostly working" this morning. First project is to figure out how the card is driven; second project is to port that functionality to the OS X kernel. If anyone can shed some light on how the video driver process works in OS X, I would greatly appreciate any and all links. Thanks!

Yea... this would be great (i have a xpress x1150) , because i have gived up the fight after one week

I'm afraid I can't guarantee results, most especially for chips other than the Xpress 200M. I do not have access to any other test machines, nor funds to purchase said machines. That being said, if it magically happens to work on another chipset, congratulations. If not, then you're out of luck unless you want to study my process and do it yourself.

Awesome stuff

I know the chipset is quite old, but V3000 series compaq's and fairly new vista based machines are still using it for its integrated "3D" Power :whistle:. My v2000 is awesome exept for this damned graphics card, which ive had trouble with everything from XP to ubuntu :)

If you need a beta tester my lappy is always running 10.4.8 and im more than happy to wipe it for other versions of osx :)

Dopefish,

Look forward to hearing about any progress you have made.

Other users,

Please people if you are not experienced with running OS X on a hackintosh already, as one would assume from you users who don't have even 10 posts to your name, please do not request anything beta.

Beta on a Hackintosh takes on a whole new meaning. You need to be familiar with the terminal, file permissions, editing hardware ID's, and other non-noob functions. When inexperienced people try to get in on betas it leads to projects getting bogged down. The developer (in this case Dopefish) has to take time and answer basic questions that the more advanced users already know.

This is not designed to exclude people, simply allow the most competent people to test and develop the software to the point where it is mature enough for regular Mac people to understand how to install and configure this.

we can t see the knowledge of a person with the number of post he did.

i know i am a beginner in the Hackintosh domain but i had been using Linux for 4 years.

I know what is a terminal and so on.. and maybe for some others users who didn t post already know also.

i sent the post for support and encourage thedopefishlives, and of course i will do my best and try many times a future beta version before ask stupid questions.

i think, in this forum there are enough information for install your Hackintosh without post any question.

i will do what i can for make this project successful.

WOW COOL!!!

Ehm sorry if i ask , but the name "Prasys" comes from the PearPC world? I can remember that some years ago was a programmer that has released some amazing versions from PearPC with this name...

I just want to clarify something. I did not mean to imply people with few posts know nothing and shouldn't offer to help. I simply meant MOST people who don't have that many posts here yet really are probably not that familiar with OS X beyond the GUI. Certainly if you feel you have the technical knowledge needed to test software, please speak up an volunteer. I simply wanted to save the developers a ton of headaches having to answer "basic" questions while still trying to develop and enhance their software for the masses.

Prasys has been a long time contributor here at insanelymac and it's predecessor osx86project. That is fantastic news that he is working with Diabolik. Good luck you two!

Thanks errandwolfe. That's a little problem I ran into during my last OSx86 project (the ATI SB400 audio drivers). Thankfully, some of the other devs on that project fielded the whole "How do I install this plz kthx" issues. I will _try_ to build a package that is easily installed; nevertheless, beta testers should be prepared to install a bare naked .kext file, and possibly building from source.

Progress so far is a little slow, since the 200M-specific code in the open-source driver is in a mid-alpha stage. I'm also not sure what I'm going to have to write in the OSx86 world; I don't want to have to go to the effort of duplicating work done by Omni on his Callisto driver, but I'm unsure how the video architecture works and what components connect to the framebuffer driver, or how. I'll keep looking around and keep you guys updated. Oh, yeah, and I should probably find my OSx86 DVD and install it on the laptop.

Dopefish and Prasys, it is great to see you guys taking up the task. It seems like the x200 is THE budget mobility GPU, not only in older systems, but even in brand new units!

For some reason this chipset seems to be vastly loved by Windows folks and hated by everyone else. Realistically if I just had QE/CI I would have a hackintosh lappy that performs fantastically for around $500!

Please guys if there is anything I can to to help just let me know. If you do a search with my username and the term x200 you should find plenty of my older posts documenting my attempts to get QE/CI working that way you don't waste time going down any of the roads already tried.

why don't we list out all of the feature we know about x200m.. to make life easiers for Dopefish, Prasys, DiaboliK... help them narrow down problem.. :) maybe we help them out too.. by google around see if we find anything that could be helpful to enable QE/CI support or any information regarding to x200m and posted up..

I am working with natit and older OpenGL frameworks

My other step is to fool the OSX that its a X300 card...If we can get all the x200 calls to be like x300 then it will work. we can do a fake 64MB Radeon X300 Mobility Card emulation

Prasys, I don't think that will work. The architecture of the x200 is fundamentally different from that of the x300 or any other Radeon to date. It will require a totally new memory controller setup in order to get QE/CI, and since ATI has no reason to implement it, it falls to us to do so.