Nvidia 10.8.2: OpenGL channel exceptions (freezes) -9600GT/285GTX

mitch_de

43 posts in this topic

Hi,

since the 10.8.2 dev builds i get such errors with my Nvidia 9600 GT 512MB card(normally never probs):

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart (kind of gpu error report tool started by that exeption)

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: 0000006e

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: 00100000 00008297 00000474 00000000

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: 0000047e 00000f00 00615003 0000000b

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000

Sep 14 10:59:30 GA_EP35 kernel[0]: 00000000 00000004

Its with Unique Heaven Benchmark and some games like Rage.

Game / Benchmark freezes and need to be killed. After that i can see that error messages in the console(system.log).

OpenGLExtensionsViewer Benchmark and all OpenCL Benches run well?!.

Also some small Games like Reckless Driving & Co runs well.

Some other user with Nvidia 285 GTX has same prob ( NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!)

Any idea?

EDIT:

There is already an apple discuss about NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!

Even Real Macs had/have that sometimes with 10.7/10.8.

https://discussions....rt=420&tstart=0

For my understanding that OpenGL freezes is same as the well known fermi gpu freezes.

But why now also on "old" gpu types which had never such freeze probs before?

Or maybe some less/fixed fermi+kepler freezes by fixes at cost of upcoming non-fermi gpu freezes?

I also get something similar on 10.8.2 b12C53 ...

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = Fifo: Watchdog Timeout Error
kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart
kernel[0]: 0000006e
kernel[0]: 00000010 0000502d 00000472 00000000
kernel[0]: 0000047a 0000022c 00000001 0000000f
kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000
kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000
WindowServer[99]: Display 0x41860f00 released by conn 0x147d3
kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Was not getting it before with 10.8.1 release ...

There is already an apple discuss about NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!

Even Real Macs had/have that sometimes with 10.7/10.8.

https://discussions....rt=420&tstart=0

My 9600 GT 512 was/is working good with AGPM.

I will try to disable APPM for tests now, but i think that will not help.

If same prob as fermi freezes there a looots of postings about AGPM (disable, change steppings,..) may help or not.

Flashplayer/safari freezes (as written in the apple discuss forum) may happen on some (also in the past 10.7), but i think only on some Macbooks/MacPro with second gpu.

I dont think flash is our problem, because flash isnt used if you play RAGE or Unique Heaven Benchmark - its pure OpenGL.

I contacted company which made Unique Heaven OpenGL Benchmark.

It seems that some Games/ OpenGL Apps have probs with 10.8.1+ , so they need to recompile / change some OpenGL code.

Maybe it runs on other gpus also with 10.8.1+ but at least not on some Nvidia.

That, code changes needed for some OpenGL Apps running 10.8.1+, seems to be valide, because other OpenGL Apps like OpenGLExtensionsViewer (Benchmark) can run even 10.8.2 without any problem / no such OpenGL channel exeptions.

Must be some OpenGL command which, when used , get some gpus in trouble.

Hi Andreas,

Sorry, but Heaven Bis benchmark is currently doesn't support Mac OS X 10.8.1.

This issue will be fixed in next version of Benchmark (ETA autumn 2012). Thanks!

Regards,Andrew Bayun QA Engineer / Unigine Corp.

I'm also getting these freezes pretty badly on 10.8.1 with a GTS250. Always a NVDA Channel Exception error and then corrupted graphics and finally a full graphics freeze up. This seems to happen randomly using the OS. Never had any problems at all on Lion.

I havent already checked to test with AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext removed.

But i think it will not help on some gpus which does run OpenGL well on most Apps but get those Channel exeption (freeze) only on some OpenGL Games/Apps

If it would be an AGPM only problem and not OpenGL driver code related, all OpenGL tasks would freeze and not only some.

I havent already checked to test with AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext removed.

But i think it will not help on some gpus which does run OpenGL well on most Apps but get those Channel exeption (freeze) only on some OpenGL Games/Apps

If it would be an AGPM only problem and not OpenGL driver code related, all OpenGL tasks would freeze and not only some.

I know it is stange, but after removing the AGPM kext, I have no problem anymore with OpenGL applications, also the GPU-temp seems to be the same with or without the kext.

With the 10.8.2 update I have not patched the nVidia openGL module, some applications do not run (Lexmark, etc.) but I do not have any freeze.

Yep, i think also that removing AGPM can reduce the risk of OpenGL channel exeptions running OS X / some non games OpenGL Apps BUT not avoid it complete if running some games. Looks like very similar problem in the past with first fermi gpus, which had same problem and which cant complete avoided by removing AGPM. I think some OpenGL driver fixes and some OpenGL Code usage fixes (in games whoch have probs) may be the real fix - but out of reach for us doeing itself.

Yep, i think also that removing AGPM can reduce the risk of OpenGL channel exeptions running OS X / some non games OpenGL Apps BUT not avoid it complete if running some games. Looks like very similar problem in the past with first fermi gpus, which had same problem and which cant complete avoided by removing AGPM. I think some OpenGL driver fixes and some OpenGL Code usage fixes (in games whoch have probs) may be the real fix - but out of reach for us doeing itself.

When reading the discussions on the Apple forums, some users report that they fixed the problems by replacing the MB.

Question: Could the problem be in the ROM from the nVidia GPU? Does Apple modified the roms of (some) GPU's?

Apple is going for Intel HD (and some ATI GPU's) I think in the near future, hope their is gonna be a fix soon. :(

I dont know.

I updated the OpenGL Triangles Bench - AGPM check tool , which is great to check AGPM + GPU load.

With the slider you can select very less gpu load up to full load (depends on gpu speed at which level gpu gets full load = >= 80%)

Most AGPM settings change GPU Pstate between a few gpu load % (= >=95% idle) and 20-60% gpu load (40-80% gpu idle).

http://www.insanelym...gpm-check-tool/

For me, i never get any Nvidia OpenGL Channel Exception error running that tool for hours at max. gpu load or let AGPM switch up/down!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found something interesting. I ran the openGL extensions viewer app and ran the tests in it and instantly got a freeze. Everytime i ran the tests i got a hard freeze with console filled with channel exceptions and timeouts. Maybe you guys can try the same thing out and post the results.

Btw i have a laptop, Lenovo G460 having the nvidia geforce 310m 512 mb.

I tried the test on a new GTX650 and was able to get through. Haven't tried the GTS250 yet.

Interesting thing though: I bought this GTX650 hoping to get a nice upgrade and solve these exceptions and while I'm not getting them nearly as often I am still getting about one exception and lock up a day. Same error messages most of the time:

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

I've tried with and without AGPM and nVidia official drivers and not without success. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the exceptions.

Yep, for me OpenGLExensionsviewer Benches can run forever without Channel exception. But RAGE , Unique Heaven freeze by channel exceptions.

I think reason is very hard to figure out and may also depend from gpu BIOS , Mainboard beside gpu type. Normally non FERMI gpus should not get any channel exceptions - at least in the past i never got them with up to10.7.5. Removing APGM didn't helped.