Will someone please share the secret of getting ATI 6870 to work [Solved]

25 posts in this topic

This is as far as I have been able to get I have used Duckweed GE=no GE=yes PCIRootUID= whatever there are people out there who got thios to work why wont you share? What I have done I installed using the old fashioned way no ihack I repaired permissions if I remove the ati6000 kext can only boot in safe mode or no acceleration I just don't know why any one I have asked cannot just give me an answer? are we all not here to help one another? I just need to know what anyone running an AMD Radeon 6870 did to get the thing to boot thats all it does not matter what I did or did not do all I care about is what you did

Help!

Hi

the problem is not that they don't want to share their secrets but that most don't want searching.

You can tell me you've already tried, maybe maybe not, but the question is how could they succeed if they were not searching before ?

I don't know if that can help you, but you can base on this topic : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=275546

Good luck

This is as far as I have been able to get I have used Duckweed GE=no GE=yes PCIRootUID= whatever there are people out there who got thios to work why wont you share? What I have done I installed using the old fashioned way no ihack I repaired permissions if I remove the ati6000 kext can only boot in safe mode or no acceleration I just don't know why any one I have asked cannot just give me an answer? are we all not here to help one another? I just need to know what anyone running an AMD Radeon 6870 did to get the thing to boot thats all it does not matter what I did or did not do all I care about is what you did

Help!

Hmm, please keep in mind not every 6870 is the same and different manufactures will make minor changes to the port layout that can change what you may need to do compared to someone else with a 6870. That said, most likely config you will need is Gibba, Graphics Enabler=Yes and AtiPorts=5

I saw from another post you were able to restore a working version of the ATI6000Controller.kext, did you add your device ID to it's info.plist if it's not there already yet?

I got mine to work by going into my lion partition before my first boot on my mountain lion partition and removed

ATI6000Controller.kext. Then booted into 10.8 and went

through the first boot process and that was done i installed back ATI6000Controller.kext using kext wizard. Repair permisions and reboot. GFX is working perfect.

First of all thank you for the help I tried to do fresh install and start with nvega12575s advice result was the same them eep357 got me closer booted with -v AtiConfig=Gibba AtiPorts=5 Black screen I connect through mini displayport (apple cinema 27") thinking it was tyhe port I connected another monitor using HDMI same black screen If I use "Duckweed" boots to gray screen with pointer and a white chessboard in the upper left I found something interesting after clean install the ATI6000Controler.kext has no Info.plist using pacifist I extracted the kexts from Basesystem and the info.plist was there also I cannot find the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext anywhere in the installer so I still am where I started so I extracted the kext (ATI6000Controler) added my device ID installed with kextwizard same result

First of all thank you for the help I tried to do fresh install and start with nvega12575s advice result was the same them eep357 got me closer booted with -v AtiConfig=Gibba AtiPorts=5 Black screen I connect through mini displayport (apple cinema 27") thinking it was tyhe port I connected another monitor using HDMI same black screen If I use "Duckweed" boots to gray screen with pointer and a white chessboard in the upper left I found something interesting after clean install the ATI6000Controler.kext has no Info.plist using pacifist I extracted the kexts from Basesystem and the info.plist was there also I cannot find the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext anywhere in the installer so I still am where I started so I extracted the kext (ATI6000Controler) added my device ID installed with kextwizard same result

Install this kext with kext wizard or similar on S/L/E in your installer.

works for me.

sorry my english

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1052480/ATIRadeonX2000.kext.zip

• Like 1

here you go dude, AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext, AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle and AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle https://dl.dropbox.c...RadeonKexts.zip

Thank you it worked the funny thing is the text stops at PCICofiguationBegin but it still boots dual monitors also work I appreciate your help Thank you again

• Like 1

Hi.

I am suffering from a white screen+cursor with my 6870. I tried adding those kexts to my installer's /S/L/E but I only get corrupted graphics. I have tried both GE on and off, Duckweed and Gibba, no success.

Any suggestions?

I don't have a 6870, but my understanding is you have to remove from installer, add back after installed. Should just need t remove the ATI6000 controller during install.

Just a quick update for you guys, the AMD*.kexts are not included in the BaseSystem.dmg but are actually part of the Essentials.pkg. Not having the ATI6000 controller loaded during install will probably prevent these from being installed during installation as well. After install and once you've added it back and rebooted to your installed OS, just rerun the Essentials.pkg from within OSX or extract and install them using Pacifist.

Just a quick update for you guys, the AMD*.kexts are not included in the BaseSystem.dmg but are actually part of the Essentials.pkg. Not having the ATI6000 controller loaded during install will probably prevent these from being installed during installation as well. After install and once you've added it back and rebooted to your installed OS, just rerun the Essentials.pkg from within OSX or extract and install them using Pacifist.

holy {censored} i have so much more to learn.....

{censored} me I've tried every which way to get it to install. I actually got it to install once, but I forgot what method I used because I tried booting into it and couldn't get it, so by that time I'd forgotten what I'd done.

So I'm going to go back to the very first vanilla install and do that step by step.

Then I need to remove the ati6xxx kext from the installer drive.

Then I need to reboot and install.

Then I need to boot back into Lion, and install the kext on ML via the kext wizard.

Do I have that right?

holy {censored} i have so much more to learn.....

{censored} me I've tried every which way to get it to install. I actually got it to install once, but I forgot what method I used because I tried booting into it and couldn't get it, so by that time I'd forgotten what I'd done.

So I'm going to go back to the very first vanilla install and do that step by step.

Then I need to boot back into Lion, and install the kext on ML via the kext wizard.

Do I have that right?

There's always more to learn! You pretty much got it right there, would need to use Pacfist to extract the kexts if your installing them to a separate partition. If your following a guide on creating the installer, read this first com.apple.pkg.SIUResources not found , see post #7. I haven't got around to putting together a pkg cause I get side tracked easily :)
  • Like 1

Do I have that right?

When you remove the kext make sure you keep a backup of it somewhere to make it easier to re-install. Also if the installer won't boot after you've removed it type -x -v -f at the boot loader screen and try again