Unusual Playstation 2 mod PC Case

quinielascom

11 posts in this topic

Introduction:

I had a PS2 case without components inside, then a partner gave me a netbook with broken screen and very poor look, but the motherboard is working fine, then i think: Why not assembly an "Nettop" ?

Parts List:

Motherboard: Chipset 945 (YooBook Notebook)

Processor Atom N270

RAM: 1.0 GB DDR2 667 MHz

HDD: 80 GB SATA 2.5"

Optical Drive: USB DVD +/- RW DL

Wireless Card: RT73 (mini-PCIe)

USB Hub 4 Ports (Generic)

Process:

First is need fit the motherboard and power supply in suitable place:

imag0066cd.jpg

after the most difficult part was found how connect the external ports (now internal) to apropiate external ports again, for this task i need make custom extensions for the next things:

1 Video VGA

4 USB Ports

1 Audio Out

1 Power Supply

1 Ethernet

and here is a final pic from usb cabling:

imag0067x.jpg

For connect an optical drive the only port available is any USB port, there is not available SATA or PATA ports because the motherboard is from cheap netbook, to place physically the drive i did a custom "base" of plastic parts, here is a photo showing the result:

imag0068c.jpg

Status of parts or functions:

Working as original:

AC IN Connector

DVD Tray

Eject DVD Button

Front USB 2.0 Ports

Internal Fan

Main Power Switch

Power Button

Add or replaced:

AV Multi Out: Replaced with VGA

Back USB 2.0 Ports: Added

Digital Out: Replaced with Line Out

Ethernet Port: Added

Not working or pending:

Controllers Ports: Not Working

Memory Card Slots: Pending

Software:

Running Windows 7 Ultimate (for now) after i have planned run Leopard or Snow Leopard:

imag0080hd.jpg

Back ports:

Here is a picture with monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse and power connected.

imag0079j.jpg

PS2 to PC Mod.zip

• Like 3

Eject Button: Done

imag0083v.jpg

Notes: the black wire is connected to ground and the green wire is connected in another side of the board, i forgot take pic, but this wire is solded to Q4 device, the correct place for solder point was found checking continuity between the two points using a multimeter.

And finally both wires go connected to Eject Button in the playstation 2 case.

After few days using the PC in PS2 case I noticed a problem with the USB ports connected via the internal hub, then opened the case again and I did the next:

The internal USB hub had a diode for protection in case of use external power supply, and as far it is internal now, it diode is not more needed , was removed and and instead placed a short (solder little wire), now the USB ports in the hub do not have problems of low voltage with high drain current devices such as hard drives.

In summary:

With diode in place: measure 4.76v in USB hub Ports.

With short instead diode: measure 5.01v in USB hub Ports.

Today I did some tests (in Windows 7) with another wireless card because i need put one "os x ready", i already had a bcm4311 wireless card and I changed it, and although detected in windows 7 the radio never come on and not find any networks, another times it "see" the wireless networks but it don´t connect.

I saw similar problem here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56015 and then i tried tapping pin 20 for enable radio always on, but did not work.

• 5 weeks later...

An small update; because missing update or none bios available for download I backed actual bios with Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0, then changed startup logo image in BIOS (with EzH2O) for one more cool and related to my mod, and flashed back (fla{censored}).

Attach picture of actual booting and link to startup playstation2 screen.

imag0097a.jpg

Link to PS2 startup logo: http://psx-scene.com...tion-2-logo.jpg

That's very well thought out and well put together.

For the controller ports, if there's any space left inside, you could dismantle one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...2/dp/B001AATQ0Y

Then attach it to the controller ports in the PS2 case, and you could use unmodified Dualshocks.

I don't think it'll work on OS X though unless it's seen as a standard HID device. Well, two.

Verify that it'll work with 64-bit Windows 7 (if that's what you're running), usually when these devices need a driver, it only works on 32-bit OS.

The ones that work without a driver, or in the cases where the driver is only for force feedback, it should work on 64-bit Windows.

Gringo, I have that same exact device, and it's worked just fine on 3 different versions of OS X (Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion) on 3 machines (2 Macs, one Hackintosh) for me. I did have trouble getting the DualShock feature working on my Playstation emulator, but I've always had trouble configuring those poorly designed wrecks that are passed off as PSX emulators (particularly on Macs). I've spent countless hours enjoying it with ZSNES, Nestopia and MAME OS X though.