270.00.00f01

cmf

15 posts in this topic

nvidia released some lion (10.7.3) / macpro drivers today.

driver version is a bit older than the current 10.7.3 drivers (7.10.2 vs 7.18.11).

changes:

• device id / Info.plist editing isn't necessary any more, since NVDAGF100Hal.kext uses the same "match all vga devices" method as the mountain lion kext.
  • opencl works ootb for gf100/gf110 cards (all others still need to patch GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib)
  • ATY_Init isn't required on mac pros any more

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html

Edited by cmf

I think that there IS something significantly different here. Namely, in a Mac Pro there is suddenly no need for ATY_Init to enable Nvidia cards. They just fire up when they reach the desktop.

So I would guess that maybe these drivers will make Nvidia cards work more smoothly in Hacks as well.

Has anyone tried them?

hello, tried it with GTS450 and OpenCL won´t work oobt for me as in 10.8 too.

Cinebech is 2 FPS slower as 10.7.3 drivers in my maschine.

the best and stable results i get with the 10.7.3 (7.18.11) files and the 10.7.2 (7.12.9) edited GeForceGLDriver.bundle (2 FPS faster than 10.7.3)

and http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ ist working well with OpenCL and Cuda apps from Einstein and Collatz

After installing this yesterday, I came up with two negative results, which forced me to revert to what I had working before.

1. Cinebench score dropped dramatically from my 10.7.3 (46 in 10.7.2. I upgraded to 10.7.3, and it went down to 35.67) build for both OpenGL (now 24.06) and now the CPU score is down to 2.05!

2. System would not go to sleep anymore.

Before I tried installing this, I had it working relatively okay. I had done this by:

• adding my device ID to NVDAGF100Hal.kext/Info.plist
  • modifying GeForceGLDriver to allow OpenCL
  • editing AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for power management
  • I used the MacPro 5,1 profile in my smbios.plist (and AGPM)
  • removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext
  • I also had to edit my Extra / org.chameleon.boot. plist to include <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1900x1200</string>. I know most of the walkthroughs say to leave the string blank, but I would only get a black screen with a white bar at the top at the bootloader if I left this out.

I'm wondering if anything I had to do to get it up and running before is conflicting with the new package, or if I need to go back and redo anything to improve my benchmark and get sleep to function again.

• opencl works ootb for gf100 cards (i couldn't test/verify this on my gtx 560 ti yet)

Not here, no OpenCL. GTX 460.

1. System would not go to sleep anymore.

For me S3 sleep works, it goes to sleep, flashes power LED normally, but wake doesn't work. The monitor never comes on and I can't reboot or re-enter sleep using keyboard shortcuts. There's nothing in the logs. Sleep/wake worked fine with stock 10.7.3 nvidia drivers.

/EDIT - S3 wake fixed by adding the darkwake=1 kernel flag!

Starting Cinebench caused a lock up followed by a hard reboot! Nothing in the logs.

Like a headless chicken, I rebooted and ran Cinebench again, and this time got the "Fermi Freeze":

Feb 28 13:08:41 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 0000006e
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00080000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000 0000000f
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000081
Feb 28 13:09:13 Gringos-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000

At least OpenGL Extensions Viewer works and the scores are the same as before.

Like a headless chicken, I rebooted and ran Cinebench again, and this time got the "Fermi Freeze":

Yeah, I think I got the Fermi freeze as well. I had forgotten to mention that. I just removed the package as quickly as I could after all the issues I had. Until someone has a definitive "Here is what you need to do to avoid these issues", I'm not touching it.

I think that there IS something significantly different here. Namely, in a Mac Pro there is suddenly no need for ATY_Init to enable Nvidia cards. They just fire up when they reach the desktop.

So I would guess that maybe these drivers will make Nvidia cards work more smoothly in Hacks as well.

nice to hear that :)

hello, tried it with GTS450 and OpenCL won´t work oobt for me as in 10.8 too.

did you have to patch both GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib or just either one?

i'd like to test those.. but I'm 460M gtx and as bad as you 10.7.2 run good opencl only If I use aty_init (without it and GR=yes I have black sreen) and do the same as tamorgen(various mods)

indeed I suppose that ML has the latest invidia because I have NO NEED of aty_init and NO NEED of ay mod..

only cuda.. andI have a good conebench without any freeze!

I think that, even the version number is "older" of Nvidia drivers they may / will be newer / further developed. To bad that Apple / Nvidia didnt organize their build version numbers.

OpenGL works + speed as with 10.7.3

But now major OpenCL problems - much slower or even stalls / not workings with 9600 GT.

OpenCL worked with no probs with 10.7.3 drivers.

Hopefully I will get a chance to try them in a few days time - I have a gtx570 on order.

Ok tried them and for some reason OpenCL did not work ootb for me without the usual edits - possibly because the device id for my card is 1086 and not 1081 - in fact the card didn't work ootb on my hack either without GraphicsEnabler - the display would sleep as soon as windows server launched (ATY_init didn't help)

• 2 weeks later...