Still Waiting for Root Device (only in 64-bit mode)

mnfesq

71 posts in this topic

I am trying to install ML on a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with (I know) the GMA X3100 graphics. I cannot get the installation USB drive to boot and it does not recognize the boot device (still waiting for root device) but only when I boot in 64-bit mode. When I boot with arch=i386, it recognizes the boot drive and gets stuck later on, just after DSMOS has arrived. Since my goal is to boot in 64-bit mode (using the 10.6.2 64-bit kexts for the X3100 GPU, I am looking for tips on getting the usb drive to boot up. I have no USB-related kexts in my Extra/Extensions folder but did replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext in ML's S/L/E with the versions from 10.6.7 (as those are needed to run Lion on my laptop.)

I don't think that IOATAFamily.kext is the problem. I think it's USB related since I can't get the USB installation drive to boot up. Here's a picture. I think that, as the computer starts to boot from the USB drive, it loses it before it is identified as the root drive.

post-270804-0-79692700-1329696440_thumb.jpg

Use USB UHCI reset fix (UHCIReset=Yes) if you're using USB 1 ports.If USB 2 then EHCI Fix (EHCIacquire=yes) .From what can see both are giving trouble.Use the EHCI one first because you are probably using that.

Use new versions of system kexts such as fakesmc,ahciportinjecter,legacyioahciblockstorage kext. that should fix any other boot issues.If your SATA is in IDE mode then "still waiting..." error may occur.

I've tried all of your suggestions, jabirbin. They're all good ones, but none of them worked. I assumed there had to be some kext that was only 32-bit and I used kext wizard to check and all of the kexts I was adding were all 32 and 64 bit. That means there must be something in ML that doesn't like what I am doing. I started looking at the security policies but that was also a dead end. I made sure my system board was on the list of "approved" hardware and my smbios was also on the list. I have had much better luck booting in 32-bit mode, that is, until I get to the part where the graphics drivers are supposed to load and I get stuck shortly after DSMOS has arrived and the system doesn't want to load X3100 video kexts. I'll keep at it and see what I can add to unlocking ML for those locked out by 5-year old hardware.

@ Ayoosh - What kind of system are you trying to install ML on? Is it also a GM965/PM965 ICH8 mobo with GMA X3100 video?

• Like 1

HMMM.

Use USB UHCI reset fix (UHCIReset=Yes) if you're using USB 1 ports.If USB 2 then EHCI Fix (EHCIacquire=yes) .From what can see both are giving trouble.Use the EHCI one first because you are probably using that.

Use new versions of system kexts such as fakesmc,ahciportinjecter,legacyioahciblockstorage kext. that should fix any other boot issues.If your SATA is in IDE mode then "still waiting..." error may occur.

Yes, i have SATA in IDE, my mobo doesnt support AHCI , no option in BIOS..... It just worked fine with Snow Leopar and Lion... cant get it to work with ML annnnd ive got a custom dsdt which doesnt help.. same error.... even PCIROOTUID=0 doesnt work... ill try your suggestions later...

I've tried all of your suggestions, jabirbin. They're all good ones, but none of them worked. I assumed there had to be some kext that was only 32-bit and I used kext wizard to check and all of the kexts I was adding were all 32 and 64 bit. That means there must be something in ML that doesn't like what I am doing. I started looking at the security policies but that was also a dead end. I made sure my system board was on the list of "approved" hardware and my smbios was also on the list. I have had much better luck booting in 32-bit mode, that is, until I get to the part where the graphics drivers are supposed to load and I get stuck shortly after DSMOS has arrived and the system doesn't want to load X3100 video kexts. I'll keep at it and see what I can add to unlocking ML for those locked out by 5-year old hardware.

@ Ayoosh - What kind of system are you trying to install ML on? Is it also a GM965/PM965 ICH8 mobo with GMA X3100 video?

Nope!! DG41RQ with ICH7..... cORE 2 QUAd 8300.... I have a ATI Radeon HD 4350.....

@mnfesq...... even i am using Kexts from 10.6.7 ...... for PCI Config bein error

I am just thinking if it is only the installation you want to boot from usb then why not just install from 32bit and then when you have installed you wont need the usb to boot from and should be able to boot from the hard drive on the intel chipset in 64bit.

Just because you install in 32bit it dont mean you are locked to 32bit only later on.

I am just thinking if it is only the installation you want to boot from usb then why not just install from 32bit and then when you have installed you wont need the usb to boot from and should be able to boot from the hard drive on the intel chipset in 64bit.

Just because you install in 32bit it dont mean you are locked to 32bit only later on.

i cant even get it to boot from 32....arch=i386 doesnt work!!!!

Have you tried delete PlatformSupport.plist in S/L/coreservices.

That was what i learned in Os X Lion.

worth a shot.

Ohh remember to make a ,smbios.plist in extra, because not to many earlier models are supporteded no

more.

• Like 1

Have you tried delete PlatformSupport.plist in S/L/coreservices.

That was what i learned in Os X Lion.

worth a shot.

Ohh remember to make a ,smbios.plist in extra, because not to many earlier models are supporteded no

more.

I will try that for sure but .... the problem is in the USB..... i restored the USB image to a partition and booted from it. I was able to fix that error but stuck due to the fact my partiton was an MBR. Installation must be partitioned with HFS+. NEVERTHELES, i learned that the problem due to USB. May be mounting the install image on a external hardrive or partition with HFS may work!!!!

Hurray!! Thanks a bosssob, deleting the platformsupport.plist fixes the issue...wooohoooo. :thumbsup_anim: but i get stuck at DSMOS has arrived :wallbash: .....thread link here ..... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=276141

• Like 1

The problem is that the USB kexts are not being loaded properly. That is why there is problems.

You will have to find/build USB kexts that work with ML or use SATA/ATA.

With IOATAFamily.kext you need to make sure your device ID is in the plugin for your controller.

I will try that for sure but .... the problem is in the USB..... i restored the USB image to a partition and booted from it. I was able to fix that error but stuck due to the fact my partiton was an MBR. Installation must be partitioned with HFS+. NEVERTHELES, i learned that the problem due to USB. May be mounting the install image on a external hardrive or partition with HFS may work!!!!

Hurray!! Thanks a bosssob, deleting the platformsupport.plist fixes the issue...wooohoooo. :thumbsup_anim: but i get stuck at DSMOS has arrived :wallbash: .....thread link here ..... http://www.insanelym...howtopic=276141

Freind i am very happy that i could assist you in your DP1 quest. congrats :D

Freind i am very happy that i could assist you in your DP1 quest. congrats :D

a very starnge thing happened...... i got through the error for twice bit after that iam still getting the old error....Still Waiting error. anayway ill try prepping USB from start and give a peep on what happend...

I have exactly same problem, try boot with -v UseKernelCache=No

did that solve the problem???

I tried to create an 8 GB partition on my OS X drive and have the same problem (still waiting for root device) so, while I do have the USB errors still, I am actually worse off when booting from my hard disk because I cannot get past the still waiting problem in both 32 and 64 bit modes. I tried using 10.7.3 USB kexts and that did not work. I also deleted the supported hardware plist and that didn't do anything. I still have to look into adding my device ID into my IOATAFamily.kext plug-ins, but I may also try rolling back that kext to 10.7.3 and see if that helps. Seeing others getting this OS loaded onto laptops with GMA X3100 is making me more determined to get past this. So far, over 30 hours spent and no results. It's a good thing i still find this entertaining.

a very starnge thing happened...... i got through the error for twice bit after that iam still getting the old error....Still Waiting error. anayway ill try prepping USB from start and give a peep on what happend...

did that solve the problem???

Yes

Is your internal drive connected via SATA? If so, is your SATA set to AHCI?

Do you have an Intel chipset?

Yes, yes, and yes. It's a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop, with GM965 (ICH8) chipset and GMA X3100 GPU. It has 2 SATA hard drives and 6 GB memory. My first OS X installation on this laptop was 10.5.6 and I have had every update and newer version of OS X on it ever since. I now have one HD that is solely OSX (running 10.7.3) and I have an emergency bare bones 40 GB partition of 10.7 on my other (Windows) HD.