[HOW TO] Getting VIA VT1828S Working

kenshin988

20 posts in this topic

Hi, I decide to write this guide after my bad experience with the VIA VT1828S, integrated audio for the P7P55D ( i guess also E and PRO model ) motherboard.

I hope this guide will help others like me who were about to kick the pc.

Read the requirements first and follow the steps of that guide.

GUIDE A

Requirements:

New Mac OS X install or never installed voodoohda ( Any version ).

Snow Leopard 10.6.X or Lion 10.7.X

Download required:

Download Optional:

Guide:

1. Download the attached files.

2. Install Kext Wizard and Kext Utility and remove AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E ( System/Library/Extensions ) or install AppleHDADisabler.kext

3. Install the kext with Kext Wizard, or other app that install kext.

4. Repair system permissions with Kext Utility.

5. Reboot.

6. If you want, install the VoodooHDA Preference Panel ( extract and double click on it )

7. Play a song and smile
:)

You will have this situation in System Preferences/Sound

schermata012455956alle1.th.png

And this situation in the voodoohda prefpane ( if you have installed )

And this situation in Audio MIDI Configuration:

All output now works. If you want to configure a 5.1 or 7.1 surround follow the final guide.

// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \\

GUIDE B

Requirements:

All system works, included sounds but with crackle or not working microphone.

Download required:

Download Optional:

Guide:

Note: Step 1 and 2 may be ignored if you use the 'voodoohda-unistall' from terminal ( if works :P ).

0. Obviously remove the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E. ( do backup of it ). Or use AppleHDAdisabler.kext.

1. Install Kext Wizard and Kext Utility

2. Remove VoodooHDA.kext in S/L/E (System/Library/Extenstions)

3. Remove VoodooHDA.prefpane in Library/PreferencePanes and System/Library/PreferencePanes

4. Remove
com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
and
com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist
in Library/Preferences/Audio

5. Repair disk permission and rebuild system cache ( Use Kext Wizard or Kext Utility, I advice to use Kext Utility )

6. Reboot ( now the sounds not works )

7. Install the kext in S/L/E. ( copy with finder or use Kext Wizard, I advise to use Kext Wizard )

8. Do step 5 again

9. Reboot whit -v kernel flag

10. If you see the configuration of sound or the voodoohda kext loaded we're on good way.

11. Play a system sound or record a sound ( quicktime does that ) and smile =)

12. If you want, install the VoodooHDA PreferencePane. ( extract and double click on it )

You will have this situation in System Preferences/Sound

And this situation in the voodoohda prefpane ( if you have installed )

And this situation in Audio MIDI Setup:

All output now works. If you want to configure a 5.1 or 7.1 surround follow the final guide.

// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \\

GUIDE C

Requirements:

All system works. Sound plays with delay ( or lag ).

Followed the previously guide, so you have the voodoohda.kext version of this post.

Download:

Guide:

1. Extract and install SoundFlower ( quiet, it's totally free. Developer site:
)

2. Reboot

3. Run Soundflowerbed.app in Applications/Soundflower

4. Click on flower and configure according to your speakers.

5. If you have only 2 speakers ( or 2.1 ) select Line-out (Green Rear) otherwise select an other option.

6. Play a system sound ( like bin empty ) and smile =)

Note:

Add soundflowerbed in the autorun login app ( System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items ), otherwise you will run the app every login/reboot.

[How To] Get 5.1 or 7.1 SURROUND

Requirements:

All system works. Sound plays good.

Followed the previously guide in case that you have a problem.

5.1 or 7.1 Speakers Set.

Guide:

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup in Applications/Utility

2. Click on + in bottom-left

3. Add the output line like image and set the correction drift like image, if you have 7.1 speakers set you will add Grey Rear also.

4. Rename the new Combined Device in whatever you want. I renamed "5.1 Surround".

5. In System Preferences/Sound -> Output form select your new Combined Device.

6. Click on "Configure Speakers..."

screenshot20120130at142.th.jpg

7. Select all the output streams.

8. Select "Multichannel"

9. Select "5.1 Surround" in the list menu

10. Then click on the square and test all the speakers

11. If there is an error, adjust the output stream by click on the list under the respective square

screenshot20120130at143.th.jpg

12. Click on "Done"

13. In Sound ( System Preferences ) select the new device for the audio output.

13. Play a dvd-video with VLC and smile =).

// ---------------------------------------------------------------------- \\

NOTE​:

With DVD Player app and Front Row app the surround not work. I don't know why. But with VLC the surround works well.

CREDITS:

Thanks to the Voodoo Team that with the voodoohda kext makes possible the use of many onboard sound card.

Thanks to google code and ( I think ) Seb for the kext modified for VT1828S.

Thanks to Cycling74 for SoundFlower app and make the delay only an bad dream.

Thanks to all that decide to click on "Like This" =)

PS: If there is a grammatical horror ( yes, horror =) ), or other errors please contact me, not post here ( for horrors or errors ), thanks =).

I ask to admin the get 'Pinned' this post, thanks a lot if you do that.

Edited by kenshin988
  • Like 3

kneshin988.. correct, for me it works according to the method A.

I voodoohda.prefane not be installed, and can be done without prior

all, 7.1 and 5.1 Dolbysorround. I have it onthe

Asusboard P7P55D-EVO well-placed torun. Were indeed now time

Time, almost on one year long beena solution to the stupid Viasound chip

VT1828S sought.

Thanks toyou here for your effort and good work.

Greetings from Germany Pinarek.

Excuse me for this bad translate with Google-Translator....i

You're welcome pinarek.

But to read this translation I have struggled a lot =D, and I think that I haven't understood completely =D

However, the most important thing is that you have solved the problem ;)

In a previous hackintosh build (10.6.8), I had sound working beautifully using your method. I had to do a re-install and now I can't get the 1828s kext to work.

My output before was through the SPDIF (fiber optic) out to an amplifier feeding two speakers and a woofer. I use the same when I boot to Win7 x64.

Now the modified voodoo kext does not detect the SPDIF fiber output, whereas it did before. It does show the green speaker and orange SPDIF.

My hardware: P7P55D-E Pro, EVGA 465GTX with HDMI out. I've never been able to get HDMI sound out in Win7 either.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't test the SPDIF out because I don't have a speakers set with the SPDIF input.

Have you followed one of the guides and used the attached kext?

With the HDMI on the video card, I don't know how to get the audio from there. I have an GTS250 with no hdmi. So it's a problem that I never thinked on.

On windows i think that you should download the official drivers from nvidia site and the hdmi out will work with sound.

PS: Update your signature.

Like lots of issues with Hackintosh, the install process seems to have a mind of its own.

I have the latest and greatest Nvidia retail drivers installed. I can display from 1080P on down on my 42" LCD TV.

What I find odd is the modified voodooHDA installed fine before on the same hardware and now it refuses to install at all.

Keep on plugging away is all you can do!

On another site I found a DSDT specific for my MOBO. Within that was a voodooHDA kext that works even though the info.plist vender and device IDs don't match the chip set on my box. Go figure!

Anyway music playback through SPDIF (fiber) referred to as SPDIF Black is exceptional.

:thumbsup_anim:

425222_146353728815633_100003230208782_187171_177671115_n.jpg

This is getting better all the time. For the first time ever all the system event sounds are working.

Well that was short lived. On the next reboot, the driver did not load. :wallbash:

I'm not sure of the model number. This PCI card was in my "junk" PC parts storage and came from a Dell computer I bought 20 years ago. The build date on the SB card was 1991!

I never expected it to work but with the drivers I mentioned it functions beautifully. I suspect just about any SB card with a similar chip set will probably work.

• 1 month later...

Well, 5.1 isn't working just the left and right front speakers are working, any help please.

EDIT: Now working but is there anyway I can enable it in iTunes too, like the Speaker Fill feature in Windows ?

• 2 months later...

VIA built-in now working through SPDIF. The SB card still works; as well, if I select it as the default, but the sound quality is far superior with SPDIF-out using the mobo sound chip. This output feeds a Sony amp with two speakers and a big sub-woofer at 88200Hz, 2CH-24bit. The PC speakers sounded OK but not great being fed from the SB PCI card. iTunes, browser, DVD player and application sounds are much more enjoyable.

The driver that made this possible came from Tonymac's ###### 4.4.0.pkg under universal audio (voodooHDA0.2.7.3).

I also set my P7P55DE-Pro bios settings to C1E Enabled, Speedstep Enabled, and C State Package Limit to C1 as recommended on another forum before loading this driver.

http://d.pr/i/3RDw

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that the only stable way to get SPDIF output from a machine with the VIA VT1828S chip set is the VoodooHDA driver 0.2.1. I believe this was the original beta release of this driver. I could not get any of the later VoodooHDA releases to consistently work on my Hackintosh.

Interestingly the SPDIF output works through both the P7P55D-E Pro fiber optic port and the orange SPDIF wire port. I have both outputs connected to my amplifier and both work equally well for digital output. The port used depends on which input I choose on my amplifier.

After experimenting with a dozen combinations of HDA enablers and other HDA Audio kexts, the VoodooHDA 0.2.1 kext is the only one which does not cause kernel panics and the playback quality is far superior to the kXAudioDriver I used with an old SoundBlaster Live! Card. I have not had a single kernel panic with this driver installed.

VoodooHDA 0.2.1 does not install a preference pane. I have reliable and stable digital output sound for iTunes and other installed apps. The 0.2.1 version allows me to set and make stick the midi format to 44100.0 Hz or 48000.0 HZ with 2ch-16bit Integer. This apparently makes Lion 10.7.4 quite happy.

I don't get hissing or crackling spurious noises but occasionally I hear unexpected system sounds, so this is not a perfect solution, but on the other hand it is doubtful that VIA will ever publish OS X drivers.

The real test for me was to evaluate how good this driver is at playing sound and music for my system. iTunes playback is terrific and music/sound effects from games like GutterBall and Air Attack are exceptional. The voices in Chess are also quite good as are the sound effects in games like Cribbage and Solitaire. Video in Safari and Chrome play with flawless sound as does DVD playback.

The bottom line is my Hackintosh would not have met my minimum expectations as a viable Windows 7 replacement without acceptable sound. I'm astounded that when I built this i7 Intel computer, the last thing on my mind was installing OS X. But I was intrigued running Apple OS as a virtual machine under windows 7 Pro. I have completely switched from being a lifelong Windows PC person to a Mac convert. OS X is superior to Windows 7 in countless ways. I've even added the Apple Magic Trackpad via bluetooth to enjoy the nifty hand gesture support that comes with Lion 10.7.4.

What I suggest for anyone with this MOBO or MOBO with ViaAudio is the following:

a. Remove all existing HDA audio kexts from System/Library/Extensions, including AppleHDA.

b. Remove any /Library/PreferencePanes/ relating to audio, including any VoodooHDA preference panes.

c. Reboot and verify you have no audio output/input devices.

d. Install VoodooHDA 0.2.1 and set midi to 44100 or 48000, 2ch-16bit.

e. Reboot and try music playback with iTunes using SPDIF output to any amplifier that will accept that input.

Enjoy stereo to multichannel digital sound the way is was meant to be on your Hackintosh!

• 1 month later...

Nice guide, thanks alert5. Doesn't seem to work on OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion which no longer has support for 32-bit drivers (not sure if that's the problem in this case though).

Installation using MB 4.6.1 fails on the voodoo drivers ("validation failed"), and manual installation using kext beast/kext wizard fails too. The kext installs into S/L/E but no sound devices are shown.

Will keep working on it and report back.

EDIT Specs:: ASUS P7P55D-E-Pro, i5-750, GTX 460.

EDIT 2: All working! I downloaded a 64-bit compiled voodoo 0.2.1 kext from here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=262900). Installed using kext beast successfully. Repaired permissions. Rebooted and was able to set SPDIF MIDI output as mentioned above. Much to my surprise (I have to admit) sound appears from my Hack-Mac over SPDIF for the first time ever. Great stuff!!

EDIT 3: As of Mavericks 10.9.2, I had to update to voodooHDA 2.8.5 package, and on my GeForce 430GT at least, the "working" HDMI output was number 2 in the list of 4. The older (0.2.1) voodoo preference panel gave a memory map error in Mavericks.

• 1 year later...

I can confirm this works on mavericks as well, via GUIDE C.

I used the voodoo driver in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.01 to install 2021version of  2.7.2 voodoo drivers

MOBO is ga-z77x-ud3h

• 1 month later...

I am using Asus P7P55DLE. I have tried 2.7.2, 2.7.3 and the latest 2.8.4, also the guide A,.B, C here but the sound remains choppy in Mavericks.

Any help and suggestion to troubleshoot will be appreciated  :lol: Thanks

I am using Asus P7P55DLE. I have tried 2.7.2, 2.7.3 and the latest 2.8.4, also the guide A,.B, C here but the sound remains choppy in Mavericks.

Any help and suggestion to troubleshoot will be appreciated  :lol: Thanks

Sorry, but as you see in the requirements of the guides Mavericks is not mentioned, so the procedures are not tested with that version of OS X. ( like also Mountain Lion )

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread but I was wondering if anyone got the VIA VT1828S optical out working on the latest Yosemite?

I am running this chip on my Yostemite with the following kext: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/979-via-vt1828s-on-10-6-10-7-10-8-voodoohda-2-7-4/ and I got 5.1 analog surround sound.

Has anyone else found a better kext for Yosemite?