AMD HD6970 working under Lion courtesy of Netkas

^Andy^

52 posts in this topic

Netkas has managed to get the AMD HD6970 card working under Lion (no snow leopard support yet so don't even ask). Using Netkas tweaks I have built an install package (well 2 actually).

If you run Lion without graphics enabler then you can try this native package http://www.mediafire.com/?328zmdddhio9rm5

If you run Lion with graphics enabler from one of my recent install packages for P8P67 boards then you can use this package http://www.mediafire.com/?j891jqaqji9pyjb

Even if you do have a recent version of chameleon installed with the correct framebuffer in the ati.c file for the 6970 card you can still use the native package but be sure to set graphicsenabler=n when you boot. If you are confident that your chameleon build supports the 6970 however you may continue to use graphicsenabler and use the second package and NOT the native one.

Back up first guys and gals and as always good luck!

• Like 1

HI There,

I have a 4890 working under lion at the moment (kaewalk install - Enabler=N).

Can i install the 6970 into the PC and then boot into lion and install native installer from this page? Or will lion not boot as won't recognise the card at all before drivers installed?

Could i install the drivers while the 4890 still running then just power down and install new 6970 to the PC and it will load up fine?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Could i install the drivers while the 4890 still running then just power down and install new 6970 to the PC and it will load up fine?

That's what I would try - backup first and remove any enabler that you installed for the 4890 first.

Thank you Andy for the Installer for the 6970, I use a 6950 and it worked great even recognizes that I have 2gb of ram on the card, except I can't view Youtube or use Itunes it causes the machine to halt and force me to hold the power button to and restart, other than that everything is perfect

Thank you Andy for the Installer for the 6970, I use a 6950 and it worked great even recognizes that I have 2gb of ram on the card, except I can't view Youtube or use Itunes it causes the machine to halt and force me to hold the power button to and restart, other than that everything is perfect

To view youtube (and other flash movies) just do one simple thing:

right click on any flash app, settings, - unfill the checkbox *Hardware acceleration*, restart browser.

Yea, iTunes is crashing my setup as well, when running a 6950. Is this happening as well for any of you 6970 users? Any way of turning off acceleration support for iTunes?

Updated packages including netkas' latest fix for iTunes..

Standard Package (Without ATY_Init) = http://www.mediafire.com/?4wxtlw6ftuaua35

Native package (With ATY_Init) = http://www.mediafire.com/?9m966bmwe9ib9sw

Both will install Netkas' fix and the latest ATi drivers - the ONLY difference between the 2 packages is the ATY_Init.kext.

On a hackintosh you can use either package provided you have compiled chameleon with 6970 support and use graphicsenabler.

If you dont have support in chameleon for 6970 or do not use graphicsenabler then you need to use the native package.

If you do have support in chameleon and do use graphicsenabler then use the standard package.

Updated packages including netkas' latest fix for iTunes..

Standard Package (Without ATY_Init) = http://www.mediafire.com/?4wxtlw6ftuaua35

Native package (With ATY_Init) = http://www.mediafire.com/?9m966bmwe9ib9sw

Both will install Netkas' fix and the latest ATi drivers - the ONLY difference between the 2 packages is the ATY_Init.kext.

On a hackintosh you can use either package provided you have compiled chameleon with 6970 support and use graphicsenabler.

If you dont have support in chameleon for 6970 or do not use graphicsenabler then you need to use the native package.

If you do have support in chameleon and do use graphicsenabler then use the standard package.

Thanks Andy! Worked like a charm.

Really glad to see its working for most people, but I'm having an issue myself...

I'm on a P8P67 Pro. I installed Lion using Andy's Guide + Packages. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1062 Andy Boot 5.0 installed to the system drive.

After that, I installed the latest "Standard" package from this thread, and rebooted. Unfortunately I can't boot now. If I don't set -v, it gets stuck on a blank grey screen after the Apple logo + spinner disappear. If I set -v, then after going through the entire boot process, when the OSstarts the screen is corrupt (attached image). From this point on nothing happens.

post-774696-1315515642_thumb.jpg

I've tried setting GraphicsEnabler to Yes and No from the boot flags in chameleon. I can boot with -x, and I can also boot if I delete the X3000 kext, obviously without acceleration though.

This is on a system with two 6950's in Crossfire, but I've tried removing the second card and having only a single card in, the same corruption is present with -v on. I've also tried the top and bottom DVI ports on the single 6950, both have the same issue.

Wow!

This is amazing news! I have a XFX AMD Radeon HD 6970 card in my newly build computer and I really want to run OSX on it but couldnt in the past because of the graphics adaptor.

I will install Lion when i get home and post my experiences with the Native 6970 Package.

(I have a ASUS P8P67 Pro so will use your excellent boot cd)

Thanks again Andy!

Thanks a bunch for Andy and of course Netkas for the great work!

I can confirm that the native package works on 10.7.1 for my Sapphire 6950 2GB reference card.

Everything works fine except a few issues in iTunes and sleep isn't working.

@Andy

How can i revert back the changes the native package did? I have another card that i want to try.

Thanks in advance,

ToBeMac

@Andy

How can i revert back the changes the native package did? I have another card that i want to try.

Easiest way is probably just to reinstall 10.7.1 combo update - otherwise just back up the following files before installing the package..

ATI6000Controller.kext,

ATIFramebuffer.kext,

ATIRadeonX3000.kext,

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin,

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle,

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle and

ATISupport.kext

Easiest way is probably just to reinstall 10.7.1 combo update - otherwise just back up the following files before installing the package..

ATI6000Controller.kext,

ATIFramebuffer.kext,

ATIRadeonX3000.kext,

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin,

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle,

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle and

ATISupport.kext

Thanks for your quick reply Andy.

Oh, btw, do you guys think it's just a matter of time till those issues in iTunes, sleep..etc get fully patched or we will need to wait for 10.7.3 or something to get better support?

Am just asking as i might swap my 6950 for a 6870 if things are going to take too long.

PS. I'm fully prepared to test alpha/beta patches for Lion on my little hackintosh if needed.

Thanks again,

ToBeMac