Asus maximus IV Gene-Z Hackintosh

dgsga

50 posts in this topic

I've had a number of PM's about this so here goes. This board makes for a great hack, mine is currently running Lion with a geekbench score of 15500, solid as a rock.

First of all I'd like to acknowledge/credit DHP, blackosx, flAked and THe KiNG without whose hard work this wouldn't have been possible.

Make sure you have the attached bios installed. This is hacked to allow CPU Power Management to work. REMEMBER: IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH FLASHING A BIOS THEN DON'T DO IT. I cannot stress this enough, making a mistake could trash your board

Bios Settings:

Extreme Tweaker

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

Turbo ratio = By number of active cores mode

For i7 2600K (you'll need to get the correct settings for your CPU):

1-Core Ratio Limit = 38

2-Core Ratio Limit = 37

3-Core Ratio Limit = 36

4-Core Ratio Limit = 35

Internal PLL Overvoltage = Disabled

Advanced\CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio = Auto

CPU C1E=Enabled

C3 Report=Enabled

C6 Report=Enabled

Package C State Limit=No Limit

Advanced\USB Configuration

EHCI Hand-Off=Enabled

Use Revoboot as the boot loader with the attached miniSSDT in /Extra/ACPI. Please read the Revoboot thread to find out how to compile this for your system, everyone's will be different according to their CPU/graphics card combo. You'll need to make sure:

You have correct efi-injection for sound to work.

You are using MacMini5,3 as model identifier

Have also attached ethernet kext (64-bit only) and sound kext.

Good luck

EDIT 11/01/12: Have attached the new updated bios. All DSDT errors fixed, will run OSX natively without any .aml additions, nice boot graphics if you disable the splash screen, speedstepping fixed. Now I run i7-2600K air cooled and overclocked to 3.54GHz with turbo ratios 47,46,45,44. Geekbench 16600 :)

stuff.zip

0902.rom.zip

• Like 3

Alright. So I'm trying to fully understand what I am about to get myself into. I am pretty much a novice when it comes to hackintosh machines. The current set up is a

intel i2500k

asus maximus gene-z board

evga gtx260 ssc

So as I'm reading through what you have stated above I could not figure out what else am I suppose to do. I have the 10.7 disc already on a flash drive. But from there what else am I suppose to do? I'm kind of loss at the moment.

So what do I do with git if I don't have a developer's license? For the developer's tool.

How would you put 10.7 on a usb and boot it? I'm still pretty confuse even after reading everything. Also I don't have a developer tools to get git to fully work.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I thought I'd just tag on instead of making a new thread.

I'm just enquiring about what I need to do to get this working....

So far, I have Lion running okay on my Gene Z (on a 2600K processor with 16Gb RAM + GTX280), which boots from Chameleon v2.0 r1393.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is sleep/hibernation modes.

I've flashed many BIOS's before now so I'm not too worried there, is this patch based on the new bios that supports 22nm processors (ie IvyBridge)? I know they aren't out yet!

So do I have to replace Chameleon with RevoBoot? I've read the post on it, but it's really confusing me! Things like attaching the miniSSDT in /Extra/ACPI. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction please? Thank you

dgsga:

Did you have to install SL first? I would love to do the same thing (same mobo)...but both rBoot and

LionBoot give me a kernel panic "Unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\" when trying to load Lion from a USB drive.

Any words of wisdom on where to start? New to OS X on PC...but very familiar with your instructions from a Linux perspective. There is little to no information on how to boot from RevoBoot. Are you supposed to create some kind of BootCD?

jonboyuk:

Dude...thanks a ton. That at least gives me some hope...what a pain. I LOVE this board on Windows 7...but I really want OS X...almost decided to give up and spring a Gigabyte board...Asus makes the best mobo in my opinion...but the Mac lovers out here have so deep love for Gig stuff.

I plan to try and run revobuild once I get this system up and running on Lion...just needed help to get there. I have done a ton of development in the kernel space of Linux...but the Mac world is foreign to me...just love their OS and apps.

I will work with you on it unless this does it to me again...and at that point I will have to "Byte" the bullet...pun definitely intended!

Wish me luck...and we can start a ROG Gene-Z build thread!

I know this thread is more technical with tackling the task of putting OSX on the GENE-Z

But I just wanted to let people know that I got SL 10.6.8 installed with the tonymac [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method

- I just needed to add the PCIRootUID=1 exception when booting the leopard install through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

- I did set my BIOS to the settings above .... Thank you very much for that.

- And since I have a Sandy bridge processor I needed to install this fixfor the combo update

- I got an awesome DSDT from here (Not as classy a solution as making your own but it worked for me

thread I got DSDT from

The consequence of not making my own DSDT could be that I don't have audio working. Its fuzzy. Same chip

as a guy with a similar problem here Link.

As for the iv GENE-z, I'm guessing that its an issue with my dsdt or the several audio kexts / methods I tried.

If anyone has any hints about getting audio working, if its working for them, please help me here:

Asus Maximus iv Gene z audio problems

I can't seem to find much support for this chip, or I didn't get the efi connections right.

Im interested in making a guide for this board, but I still need the sound working, so if you have questions about installing with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] don't put them here, put them here

Asus Maximus iv Gene z audio problems

Here are my specs

MOTHERSHIP: Asus Maximus iv Gene z

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 6870 - Worked automatically, no kext needed

Wireless: D-Link DWA-556 Worked automatically as well

ripjaw 4g ram for install

Cool well I'm interested along with both of you to get it working properly.

My install is iAtkos L1. I couldn't get my retail SL disc and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] loaded, I just ended up with a reboot before the OSX installed loaded.

iAtkos worked without any loading arguments (-x etc).

I'm really unsure about the whole DSDT stuff and kexts to be honest. It works but I know it's not working to full efficiency, which is what I'm aiming for.

Between the three of us, I'm sure we can make it happen.

The fundamentals of my machine are:

- Asus Maximus Gene IV

- Intel 2600K (clocked to 4.6Ghz)

- Nvidia GTX 280

- 16Gb RAM

• 2 weeks later...

So I got most likely everything working. The only problem I am facing now is the ethernet I believe. I tried the files included before but that does not work for me. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Also I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and that worked great!

• 1 month later...

Hi :)

I think you could add this DSDT injection

Device (JMB0)
                       {
                           Name (_ADR, Zero)
                           OperationRegion (BAR0, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0x04)
                           Field (BAR0, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                           {
                               M1,     8, 
                               M2,     8, 
                               M3,     8
                           }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                           {
                               Store (0xB3, M1)
                               Store (0xA1, M2)
                               Store (0xC2, M3)
                               Store (Package (0x02)
                                   {
                                       "name", 
                                       Buffer (0x16)
                                       {
                                           "J-Micron JMB36x eSATA"
                                       }
                                   }, Local0)
                               MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                               Return (Local0)
                           }
                       }

Device (JMB1)
                       {
                           Name (_ADR, One)
                           OperationRegion (BAR0, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0x04)
                           Field (BAR0, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                           {
                               M1,     8, 
                               M2,     8, 
                               M3,     8
                           }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                           {
                               Store (Zero, M1)
                               Store (Zero, M2)
                               Store (Zero, M3)
                               Return (Zero)
                           }
                       }

So did all of you flashed the linked bios?

I'd rather avoid that if that is absolutely not necessary. I'm not sure what revision, version etc is it. Can anybody clarify?

Without it though whatever DSDT I use I get kernel panic at start with CPU Power Management. Is that because of it? I tried generated DSDT files by me. All linked here and in other threads I found. Using them with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installation + 10.7.2.

I know there is NullCPUPM but I'd rather have the features.

Would be grateful for any insights.

EDIT: forget it, flashed and it's working fine.

The problem is the AppleCPUPowermanagement.kexts, to get it working without disabler you need the patched bios or the speed stepper by flaked. http://www.insanelym...threaded&start=

Two different way the get the same result :)

So there was a way to do that without the BIOS hack :-)

Thank you, will try this when I update to 0902 (or whatever number the latest version had).