hibernation in lion and secure virtual memory

s.goten

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

i can't get works the hibernation under lion. I get "incorrect image signature" message at boot.

in SL i resolved that disabling Secure Virtual Memory in preferences-security pane but in Lion that switch doesn't exist and the secure virtual memory is enabled by default.

i found that string to disable via terminal the secure virtual memory

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.virtualMemory\UseEncryptedSwap -bool no

but it don't works

anyone has a solution to get works hibernation under lion? or to disable the Secure virtual memory

thanks in advance

Hibernation worked here disabling secure virtual memory and applying a patch to Chameleon which has provided Vladimir Zidar

see in http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/133/

i downloaded that patch but i don't understand how to use that file

if I run it under terminal with "sh ./ hibernate107v1.patch" i get some errors and nothing changes

i downloaded that patch but i don't understand how to use that file

if I run it under terminal with "sh ./ hibernate107v1.patch" i get some errors and nothing changes

No

you need to have sources of chameleon to apply the patch and then build

If you prefer, the boot with the patched version of r1434 Chameleon is here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4881411/boot.zip

No

you need to have sources of chameleon to apply the patch and then build

If you prefer, the boot with the patched version of r1434 Chameleon is here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4881411/boot.zip

the chameleon boot from you link works great

thank you very much indeed!!!!!

just a question. if i want to build chameleon with the patch, once i downloaded the sources, what i have to do?

are there specific command lines?

it's just a curiosity if one day I wanted to patch a newer version of chameleon

the chameleon boot from you link works great

thank you very much indeed!!!!!

just a question. if i want to build chameleon with the patch, once i downloaded the sources, what i have to do?

are there specific command lines?

it's just a curiosity if one day I wanted to patch a newer version of chameleon

man patch

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon ( all branches )

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk ( current version )

This is IMHO a huge issue with Lion and hackmacs. Thanks for the infos and heads up. I had problems with wake-from-disk too, even in the chameleon forums, no one answered to my bug report.

I added the patch and hope it is fixed now :)

Is there a way to have wake-from-disk AND secure virtual memory? Why doesn't it work with secure VM?

if you want to use secure virtual memory and hibernation you should use the switch 5 or 7 instead of 1 and 3 when you set the hibernate mode: pmset hibernatemode x (x is the switch). i hope this can help you.

i have read this but never tried it, so i don't know if it works on hackintosh

Hi,

with this patch my notebook is able to reach the gray screen with "header read size 200 blah blah blah Wake Kernel!" but instead of showing my desktop it shutdown. what i'm doing wrong? i'm trying to get hibernation work because i can't get sleep to work correctly, it sleeps but when i try to wake up it shutdown again.

sorry for my bad english

My Snow and Lion sleeps ( using vanilla kernel, no sleep enabler and no Nullcpu ) with Apples default selections, with secure virtual memory enabled ( in Lion there is no UI element anymore to let one turn that off ) :

Apples default power mode scheme in SL / Lion is what in Linux is called "suspend to Ram".

The machine goes off and writes within seconds everything that is on the screen opened to RAM, on my Toshiba I can see a red pulsating light that indicates that state being active. ( Vista/7 uses the same mode when you close the lid ) .

This state is using battery power, keeping everything powered OFF, but only the RAM modules active. One can carry the machine in this state and open it at any time and within milliseconds after you press the power button, everything is back on the screen as you left it. The network and sound will be turned on immediately so you are online again the moment you power OSX again. Your battery will show that it has only xx percent left, indicating that it has been used in that sleep state.

If the battery goes empty in that state, OSX will write the content to a hibernate file but in most cases ( on a full battery ) you can leave the machine in this state over nights ( my battery never last very long and it is now 1,5 years old but for sleeping the Laptop it is more than enough )

So there is nothing wrong with Apples default selection for Hacks : it definitely works ( with or without secure vm ).

In Snow I played a bit with "pmset" and switched the default Suspend mode to "Suspend to disk", that is the mode where it writes everything not to Ram but to the SleepImage file. It is mostly useless, because the Hack goes into power-off ( completely ) and when you press the power button, chameleon is called, only that no full boot is done but a "resume" screen, where Chameleon re-calls the sleep images content ( which is slow and can take even more time than a simple boot ) - then Mac OSX also resumes there where it has left before and the battery is still full, because in that mode it has not been used.

The available modes can be seen if you type " man pmset " in a terminal. There are various combinations available, but Apple itself warns that not all will work correctly.

It all depends on a working DSDT.aml and IDEALLY NOT use Nullcpu+Sleepenabler

( if using Sleepenabler +Nullcpu , having "PmVersion=102" in the boot plist is important for Lion )

What I needed to make sleep work : change device-IDs of all USBs ( from ICH9 into ICH10 ) and make them all appear as internal. I did of course also all the other hacks, but the USB thing is the only to have sleep working.

The components in my L500 are very much Apple-Like and thus simply work. The core2duo, the Intel chipset etc - all parts we find in real macs too. Only Ich10 instead of Ich9 .

FILES

My current boot loader : Chameleon_2.1svn_r1478.pkg.zip

My boot plist : org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

My DSDT : dsdt.aml.zip

I would say to remove sleepenabler and nullcpupowermanagement and use in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>yes</string>

but ask for help in the DSDT section that probably will help

• 1 year later...

Did someone solve the issue without resorting to dsdt fixes? I'm having the "Header Size" issue when trying to set the system to wake-from-disk. No hibernatemode switch changes seem to bypass this hassle. Dsdt patches seem to be availabe only for a certain branch of hardware and, particularly in this case, only for supported CPUs. Since i've trying this on an Atom CPU, it's a no-go.

• 1 year later...

This is the right native command line in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.virtualMemory DisableEncryptedSwap -boolean yes

Hello everyone, does anyone know if the trick above works for Mavericks and 10.9.5 version?

I also discovered that the trick to remove the "sleepimage" file is failing 100%. Upon each reboot, the file is re-created each time… even if I do a zero-size file with chmod 000 attributes!

Thanks in advance.