Helping getting NVIDIA NVS 3100 to work on Dell Latitude E6510

dellE6510

10 posts in this topic

I have my Dell Latitude E6510 almost completely up and running. The only major thing left standing in the way is getting the NVIDIA 3100 NVS 512MB Video Chip to work.

I've searched high and low, and I can't seem to find a solution that works.

I am running MAC OS X 10.6.8 Full Retail

I added the

NVInject.kext

NVenabler.kext

Natit.kext

with a Kexter Program.

and rebooted (i did all of this after making a Time Machine backup).

it boots to the Grey Apple Screen with the apple in the center and then the spinning dial just turns for about 45-60 seconds then the screen goes opaque and I get the message

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power Button again."

so I rebooted, and type -x to go into safe mode and it thankfully went into safe mode so I can still work on finding a solution.

I've tried adding the following lines to the com.apple.Boot.plist file

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

and that didn't resolve the issue either and I still get the error message

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power Button again."

MaLd0n made me a DSDT for my machine earlier over on InsanelyMac. but the video still doesn't work or recognize.

is there something I'm not doing? or something I'm missing here? or just doing improperly? I'm totally lost here.

specs on my machine are in my sig, and so is the link to my tutorial on my install on my E6510.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

a kernel panic occurs whenver

NVEnabler.kext

NVinject.kext

natit.kext

are introduced to the system. Remove these three and the kernel panic goes away.

I tried to add these as attachments but it wouldn't allow me to. so i'm entering them as code here.

so here's a zip file of all 4 logs that I found relevant.

Kernel.log

install.log

system.log

windowserver.log

if someone needs any others, just let me know, I desperately want to get this working

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a0ac38c5.html

kernel panic also occurs when attempting to

introduce NVEnabler 64.kext by itself without the support of Natit.kext or NVInject.kext

and running com.apple.boot.plist

with

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

rebooted into safe mode and

added

natit.kext

nvinject.kxt

rebooted and got a kernel panic.

rebooted into safe mode.

changed com.apple.boot.plist for 64bit

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

rebooted and system suffered a kernel panic again.

rebooted into safe mode and removed

NVInject.kext

NVEnabler.kext

Natit.kext

and rebooted, system stable, but still not graphics.

-------------------

interesting observation.

when looking at the kernel.log (download the E6510 logs.zip above and view the kernel.text and use the find function)

I see a line that says

NVDANV50Hal loaded and registered.

further research from

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102

NVDANV50Hal.kext - One of three very important original Apple kexts required by OSx86 machines for nvidia graphics functionality. This kext provides support for 8xxx and 9xxx series nvidia cards.

so possibly this driver is loading beforing any of the needed Nvidia kexts can load, and then kicking the others out?

I am pleased to say there's been a break through tonight!!!!!

th_pepper.gifdancenana.gifbanana.gif

I don't know if it's anything big yet, it needs some tweaking by more skilled people than I, but I think it's a start on the right track!

so here's what I did. (do a Time Machine Backup before you do this!!!!!)

I was in safe mode in Snow Leopard when I did this.

delete

from the S/L/E folder

NVDANV40HAL.kext (make a backup of it)

NVDANV50HAL.kext (make a backup of it!)

NVEnabler_64.kext (if you have it loaded)

the only NV kexts you should have are

NVEnabler.kext

NVinject.kext

Natit.kext

once they are applied with the kext program,

go to

/Extras/Extensions and copy your com.apple.boot.plist to the desktop

edit it so that it looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>/Extra/mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

<key>dsdt</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1440x900x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

now

close everything out and reboot. When you reboot, let it go as far it can. It will most likely Kernel Panic on you. if it does, reboot again, except this time when the chameleon screen comes up, hit enter for my options.

then type

-f -s -v and hit enter

a bunch of lines of code will pop up, just let it do it's thing. when it's completely done it will give you a few lines of code, then it says if you're done to exit.

type

exit and hit enter.

now hit the down arrow key on your keyboard and watch the magic!!!

a bunch of crazy stuff will start happening, it should boot into windows, once it does click your apple icon on the top left corner, click About this MAC, then go down to Graphics/Display and verify.

Before I did this mine was showing: VRAM: 32MB

afterwards as seen in the picture it's now showing the accurate VRAM: 512MB

Now to confirm it's good, close everything, reboot, and it should boot back into Snow Leopard on it's own without any error messages!!!!

Here's the proof in the pudding!

IMAG0718.jpg

this isn't the full on end all fix, but we're headed back in the right direction.

I tried to go to youtube.com and I couldn't watch any videos on there, I could only hear the music. I attempted to update my flash player but it said it was up to date. I cleared cache and internet files and restarted my broswer but that didn't help either.

I went to google and typed in flash games, but none of them I could see the picture on. so there's still some tweaking to do, but I'd venture to say this is might be a major break through on the NVDIA 3100M!!!!!

It will need the attention of those more qualified than I to iron the rest of it out.

ok, I have confirmed the NVIDIA 3100 is loaded and functional.

I tested the screensaver and it didn't lock up the computer or send it into a kernel panic, so that's good news. However, it was slow and a bit choppy, which tells me the bugs still need to be worked out and the kexts need to be tweaked for optimum performance.

I tested sleep, it did not work at all, however, I haven't really messed around with any of the KEXTS for that, so I may not have the proper settings for that yet.

Screenshots are still not working. I tried CMD-Shift-4 and CMD Shift-3. I can hear the camera sound when I do it, but it doesn't post a jpeg, png or tiff on the desktop, so I'm not sure if that's video/graphics card related or not.

Hoping others from the other E6410 and E6510 threads will come chime in, duplicate what I've managed to do and tweak things a bit to smooth this bad boy out and getting it working 100%.

"Nvidia NVS 3100M or Nvidia Quadro NVS 3100M is a business graphics card that is based on the GT218 core (e.g. GeForce G210M / 310M) but with drivers that are optimized for stability and compatibility in business applications)."

i wonder if u can use a g210m device id in dsdt ? or reflash rom ?

(i dont own one of these im here to suggest other possible fixes)

"Nvidia NVS 3100M or Nvidia Quadro NVS 3100M is a business graphics card that is based on the GT218 core (e.g. GeForce G210M / 310M) but with drivers that are optimized for stability and compatibility in business applications)."

i wonder if u can use a g210m device id in dsdt ? or reflash rom ?

(i dont own one of these im here to suggest other possible fixes)

the 210m drivers aren't available in MAC OS X. so that's a no go. they are only available for Winblows and Linux.

I think I'm just gonna get an ATI Radeon chip that MAC OS X support drivers for it, pull out this Nvidia and be done with it, if that's possible.

the NVidia 3100M ever working 100% perfectly without having to do all this stuff is a lost cause.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...