Legacy kernel 10.6.8 with custom dyld and new SSE3 emulator

61 posts in this topic

The full package included, as usual.

I've also added support for VIA (Nano) cpu's (the cpuid of those can be modified by a few rdmsr/wrmsr instructions).

Furthermore I included the new SSE3 emulator as default (thanks for the person who supplied it, I forgot his name, credits go to him).

It also includes the custom dyld.

BTW: Sorry for the late entry but at work my workstation wouldn't allow rapidshare so I had to bring along my netbook (to link it to the corporate WLAN network, then it worked).

Download including sources:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2811076327/voo...d-AnV-0.4.1.zip

legacy_kernel_atom_V8_R2.zip

legacy_kernel_V8_R2.zip

is the FSB Detection corrected for K10 on this kernel related to this issue http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/92/#ic826

Comment 14 by AkimoA, Jul 20, 2011

In Addition asoon the FSB gets detected Correct sound is messed up !

(like lags)

Comment 15 by meklort, Jul 20, 2011

Andy, that's because the legacy kernel multiplies the FSB by two for

K10s. It was a hack added to work around the bug in chameleon. Now

that it's fixed, it should be removed from xnu.

let me know and Thanks for you efforts

thx andy....i've updated my old box...found an old Prescott P4.with the sse3 instruction set...stuck that in... and grabbed a radeon 4670 agp gfx card on the cheap...keep up the good works! :(

PS: i think the sse3 emulator was from slice...not sure of origin...

i have a problem, got instant reboot when booting 10.6.8 using this kernel... no errors just boots and restart, and over again, who can help me?
use a different bootloader, e.g. Meklorts. The one that worked for me against restart issues is attached.

Andy, what's the improvement(s) from your APICFix teateam Atom kernel to this Atom one here?

Meklort_2010_06_16_boot.zip

AnV please create pkg file in future for easy install.
No one needs this installer tony-{censored}-like :).

Just rename the Kernel to whatever you want, copy it to your HD & add its name to your com.apple.Boot.plist + use latest SleepEnabler by nawcom that doesn't depend on correct pm_Version & you'll be fine. :angel:

When using installer you won't be able to solve any problem by yourself as you can't handle the changes.

and what the diference Between Nawcom legacy kernel and this?

Read the first post. :)

This Kernel features a fully working SSE3 Emulation layer & auto CPUID-patching dyld including support for VIA Nano CPUs.

@AnV - Any news about Lion Kernel Patch? ;)

btw is Lion 11.0 darwin legacy kernel possible ?

legacy_kernel_10.7.0.zip

voodoobuild_AnV_0.5.1.zip

Hi I am using Nawcom's Legacy Kernel , may I know if i can use this kernel and also would like to know what is the advantage with this kernel.

Feel free to use this (AnV's kernel) instead - you actually should due to all of the improvements in the code.

tried this on an AMD K8 ( Sempron 2800 / with SSE3 ) with 10.6.8 , VIA KT800 Board ( MSI Neov2 ), IDE hdds ( viaata)

when using this AnV kernel = finder crashes randomly , for example when empty trash .

nawcoms legacy kernel 10.6.8 works on this.

booted with busratio=16 and maxmem=2048 ( PC has only 2GB but without maxmem doesn't boot ).

CPU is reported as IntelCore Solo , SMBIOS of Macpro3,1 - else all hardware detected correctly.

Any idea .. ?

Generally SL is working, QE/CI ( AGP 6200 nvidia ) only a bit slow, so I look for improvements of all sorts.

well smartie when using anvs kernel custom dyld is enabled by default ..and that is just not 100% on every box so disable it with std_dyld=yes as boot arg and be shure u patch ur amd binaries with the amd_insn_patcher like explained in Mohameds Thread

u also wanna set -force64 in the boot.plist to force him in 64bit userland

well smartie when using anvs kernel custom dyld is enabled by default ..and that is just not 100% on every box so disable it with std_dyld=yes as boot arg and be shure u patch ur amd binaries with the amd_insn_patcher like explained in Mohameds Thread

u also wanna set -force64 in the boot.plist to force him in 64bit userland

ok. Try that , will report back :wacko:

cpuid patching is not new to me. when that pc was using tiger I often did that; I just thought it would be unnecessary these days.