updated; with Install + update Video : FULL GUIDE TOSHIBA Satellite L500 / Ati 4650 (Intel PM45 / ICH9M )

smartie77

33 posts in this topic

Looking for running fully functional SNOW 10.6.8 instead of Lion on the L500 ? Go HERE for files and Info. Notice : As Snow will surely never again receive kext-critical Apple-Updates, I won't update this old guide . Please don't post questions there as I focus on this guide only and Lion only . )

NEWS :

January 17-18 , 2012 : preparing for OS X 10.7.3 ; builds 11C42/11C46 running with no problems - beta kexts for Ati 4650mobility on 10.7.3 here : http://www.insanelym...howtopic=274833 ( build 11D46; build 11D50 follows )

January 20 : upload a full Installation Video for 10.7.2 on this Laptop to youtube, :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPbZMAMAy-g&feature=watch_response

This above Video show a USB install using the method from this forum's member http://www.insanelym...p?showforum=226

Video : Update from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 on L500

Jan 30 : YT Video of how to deal with the Laptop's UVC Cam ( must force 320x240 resolution ) in QuickTime and PhotoBooth ( Snow, but works in LIon too ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHdQs5UXBb8&feature=related

This Guide will be revised , simplified soon ( no time yet , grab the graphic kexts from the links in ATI section )

I remove the speed/stability concerns; As of this date Lion is a nice and stable OS. All you need is lots of memory, at least 4GB. 32bit boot might helpful, running Finder,Launchapd,Mission Control, Safari etc in 32bit mode also speeds things up on low resource machines.. but its full potential with Apps like FinalCut X you will only get in total 64bit mode.

For all your 10.7.2/10.7.3 FaceTime/iCloud and AppStore login-issues simply use the latest Chameleon Loader v 2.1. Revision 1755 and higher is working for me.

outdated :

August 17 : Apple have released OSX 10.7.1 Update officially. Covering this here

October 4 : 11C73 is the long awaited 10.7.2 final ( available Oct. 12 for all ), new Ati kexts needed ( don't use in 10.7.3 ! ) :

post-156995-1313604834_thumb.png

- QE/CI method changed completely to Aty_init. No need for strange booters or Roms now.

latest chimera loader 1.5.x has issues including making ati non-work in 64bit mode. Tried various.

NOW : Strongly Recommended newest Lion compatible Bootloader with zero errors , 32 and 64 bit working hardware and fast booting capabilities : chameleon 2.1 svn, build 29august 2011 ( must rename your boot.plist to ORG.CHAMELEON.BOOT.PLIST ). :

For to fix FaceTime connection Errors use this boot file ( chameleon 2.1 trunk ) afterwards ( replace the hidden or visible "boot" in your / ) :

boot.zip

you can use this tool to manage the new chameleon graphically and also to edit your smbios with valid data :

"LIZARD" for chameleon :

- 2 variants for Sound : AppleHDA or VoodooHDA. ( AppleHDA has issues on wake up, must sort that out )

- SMBIOS now MacBookPro5,1, working together nicely with Ati Powerplay Settings, using a modded kext.

- Sleep finally works ( with or without SleepEnabler/nullcpu ) ! DSDT fixes were needed.

So the only thing left is internal WiFi, if I replace the internal 5100 card with some Broadcom stuff, the machine is completely Hackintoshed :-=

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pre-Modded BETA DRIVERs for L500 ATI GraphicsCard are available: 11C35 and 11C37, 11C40+11c43 + 11c55 of OSX 10.7.2 ( latest build shows lots of speed and stability improvements .. finally comparable to Snow Quality )

###############################################

ALL kexts here are now 32 and 64bits compatible and for LION

NOTE : you do this all on your own risk. The methods and drivers are proved to work 100% for my machine but I cannot guarentee anything, naturally. If your hardware is very different then I cannot help. Especially the GraphicsCard is very tricky, it will only work if the Device ID is EXACTLY like mine 9480 and if LVDS screen at 1366x768 is used.

PREFACE : THE Toshiba L500 COMPONENTS

The L500 uses a Intel PM45 chipset, Intel CANTIGA mainboard with ICH9 AHCI S-ATA connections.

Satellite L500-120 Core2Duo 2,1Ghz , PSLJ3E Modelnumber, late 2009 European and Canadian Model ( L505 in CA )

4GB RAM - ATI MOBILITY HD 4650 1Gb 1366x768x32 @ 15.6 inches ( works, QE/CI )

Synaptics Trackpad / PS2 Keyboard / 2x USB / 1x USB-esata.combined

UVC Webcam Chicony 1.3MP Realtek USB internal SD-Cardreader ( works out of the box as USB generic)

Realtek 8101E PCI-E LAN ( Reaktek official drivers for Snow, work in Lion and put a plugin in Networkfamily )

Intel Wifi 5100 AGN WiFI ( the only thing not working )

3rd party used : Sitecom WiFi USB Model 608, ralink rt2870 chip

THE OSX 10.7 INSTALL

Leave the BIOS ( PHOENIX, v.2.10 )default , later when OSX is running it would be wise to re-enter the BIOS and disable Wifi 5100, because it is of no use to us and only eats power needlessly. All else settings ( there aren't many ) leave to default ( AHCI mode instead of IDE )

1 Get a copy of OSX Lion, make your hidden folders visible ( Showallfiles.app or Hideandseek.app ) and make yourself a bootable USB stick - following this fine tutorial here - I won't help you get OSX onto the machine, please read the tutorial and follow it, it is not that hard. OSX 10.7 will complain on the welcome wizard that your keyboard is not connected and will not continue until you temporarily plug in a USB keyboard - this is normal.. you need it only that one time, until the PS2 Kexts have been installed.

Notice that you need to boot the machine twice from the USB you made, 1st time to actually install OSX, second time to boot the HDD.

! OSX has a bug on the L500 BIOS - this leads to the effect that the CMOS is corrupted after each reboot and it can happen that your USB ports are nonfunctional. IF THAT HAPPENS, RE-ENTER the Toshibas BIOS, re-set everything to default once more, reboot, now USB works and you can boot the stick new.

!FIX : To fix this annoying behaviour you need only one simple Kext inside /System/Library/Extensions - you can put it of course also onto the boot usb sticks /S/L/E folder to prevent this bug from the beginning. The Kext is called "ElliotforcelegacyRTC.kext", -- this can be fixed with a patched DSDT.aml ( the one in my Extra folder is fixed completely ) , so BIOS corruption never ever happens again. download here

A second kext to avoid BIOS corruption ( can be used together with the former ) is APPLERTC.kext - this one here is patched correctly ( for 10.7,10.7.1 and 10.2 ) :

2. When you are now in Stage2 , after OSX is installed on local HDD, install a recent Chameleon Bootloader , see above.

EXTRA folder ( updated 17 August 2011 with fixed DSDT

3. again make your hidden files visible, EXTRACT THIS "Extra" folder and PUT THE WHOLE EXTRA its contents in the root directory ( / ):

Notice regarding smbios ( Mac Model ID )

the SMBIOS IS NOW THE MBP5,1 one , use the modded AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext to turn on support for the Ati Fansettings. MBP is best for laptop fucntions, Core2Duo speedstep and just "fits" a laptop way better then "iMac" ( which I used before all the time ).

What's inside the "Extra" :

It contains the ROM ( BIOS ) of the ATI card, do not remove this and do not rename that, kexts for the ICH9 chipset AHCI identifiers,fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement, a SMBIOS that will fake your Toshiba to be a MBP5,1 + modded kext so MBP works in fact with iMac speedstep ( for Ati card which is needed ) .

THE UPDATE TO OSX 10.7.1

:

Updating from 10.7 to 10.7.1 is simple and should be painless. Just run the offline updater from Apple - this one; it will update AppleHDA and the ATI kexts. Simply exchange them with my modded ones and repair permissions with kextutiltiy. other kexts are not affected.

-------

SleepEnabler is not working in 10.7.1, that needs to be removed PRIOR update else you get a kernel panic; until a compatible one has been made by nawcom or others. If you have a DSDT with fixes, you don't need Sleepenabler and Nullcpu anyways, the L500 can sleep without these. My personal DSDT.aml can be found at the end of my guide below.

GRAPHICS : ATI mobility Radeon HD 4650

post-156995-1313607329_thumb.png

the L500 uses the "Shrike" Framebuffer to signal screen on the internal LVDS connected 15,6inch . The device ID of the card is 9480 and with this kexts it will work at a max of 1366x768 ( Toshiba L500 native resolution ). Display can be configured via Systemsettings, all modes down to 800x600 are available.

In order to have Quartz Extreme ( QE ), Core Image (CI ) and OpenGL acceleration, you need to have this modified ATY_init in /S/L/E, it will not work in Snow and not with other cards.

these are the kexts from 10.7.1, they work in 10.7 also. The included Powermanager kext is modded to work with the MBP5,1 SMBIOS ( also in my Extra folder ) .

graphics - kexts ( Aug 17 ) :

ATY_INIT for Lion and 4650m Shrike cards :

BATTERY IN THE MENU BAR

VoodooBATTERY.kext + APPLEACPIplatform.kext + IOPCIfamily.kext , this 3 will also fix the "PCI configuration begins" bug that some people have with Lion original ACPI and PCI combo :

LAN

- LAN , REALTEK 8101E/EL :

post-156995-1313607112_thumb.png

Official drivers from Realtek , Snow leo version works in Lion - go here to official site, select OS : "other" to see mac os x.

or use this pre-made kext which has the driver applied already as a plugin:

post-156995-1310529474_thumb.png

AUDIO : REALTEK HDA ALC727

- Option 1 : VOODOOHDA SOUND + PREFPANE , delete original AppleHDA.kext before ( this kext is for Alc727 Realtek/Intel HDA )[/b][/color] SOUND.zip -- this includes a prefpane for Systemsettings, copy the prefpane to

/Library/Prefpanes -- after repairing permissions and reboot you can use it

post-156995-1313604599_thumb.png

- Option 2 : We now have a working SL+Lion working APPLEHDA sound kext for the L500's ALC727 - you can take this instead of the generic VoodooHDA, needs Pin configuration in Section HDEF of DSDT, see: AppleHDA

post-156995-1310529188_thumb.png

PS2 Keyboard and scrolling/clicking Synaptics TrackPad

:

APPLEPS2.kext + APPLEACPIPS2NUB + PREFPANE

-- this includes a Trackpad prefpane for tap to click, scrolling , two fingers and so on , kexts in /S/L/E, copy prefpane to /Librar/Prefpanes, BUT do not replace the "trackpad.prefpane" of OSX ( in /S/L/prefpanes )

- working function keys : Brightness up/down = FN+F6,FN+F7. Disable Trackpad= FN+F9 Mute Sound Multimedia Key , Volume slider on front. All ok

trackpad prefpane Screenshot

post-156995-1310529030_thumb.png

TOSHIBAS UVC WEBCAM

- UVC 1.3 MP Webcam internal "Chicony" is the vendor : no kext needed - but to make it work in Photobooth,ichat,QuicktimeX you must FIRST launch the Apple apps, THEN launch cam twist , OR "Cameracontroll.app" from NETKAS ( does basically the same as Camtwist, but might be easier )

post-156995-1310528951_thumb.png

If you know Automator you can use that to click together a workflow like "open photobooth", "launch CameraControll" "Quit Cameracontrol". save as a new application, give it a name like "fixed photobooth.app" and in future you can launch that and have the cam autoloaded in Photobooth. ;)

The only application that instantly works with any internal uvc is "EvoCam" , that does not need any cam twist hacks. Comercial, cannot share.

WIFI ( internal does not work,needs replacement like this : )

- WiFi USB RALINK RT2870/2770 aka SITECOM WL-608 , this small and cheap ( 10 euro ) thing here : sitcom product page : Ralink has official software ( included ) but the utility does not play nice with Lion. I found a tool here on insanelymac that is operable via prefpane ( 32bit but works ):

post-156995-1310530029_thumb.png

set the airport like tool to autolaunch on login , either that or the official utility but not both at once - the included Kext is the latest 32/64 and works with SL and Lion good :

SDHC REALTEK INTERNAL USB CARDREADER ( not use in 10.7.3 ! )

frontal Card reader SDHC , is usb interal = works, no Kext needed. Kexts below needed only to make it appear as a built in Apple SDcard device - otherwise works as generic usb :

Cardreader UPDATE Jul 19 : found a kext and infos that makes the generic usb cardreader seen by OSX as original Apple internal SDCard, I have patched it for Realtek vendor and device ID to match the one in my L500. The cardreader is now appearing in Systemprofiler and instead of generic usb device icon, it has the SDcard icon in Finder. Nice :

replace original kext in /S/L/E :

NEW : Noticed that Realtek has "USB smart card reader patch for Mac OS X" for it, too - yet it is unclear what they do. At least they do not make the SDHC appear as internal : might give them a try ? >> Here at Realtek download, select OS:others for Mac OSX .

SLEEP AND RESUME ( default Suspend to RAM, powered by Battery ) :

SLEEP : WORKS with a fixed DSDT sleeps using "Nullcpu" and "Sleepenabler" ( pmVersion=102 in com.apple.boot.plist ) or with native CPU ( no Nullcpu ) : August 17 now possible :

I tinkered with the DSDT.aml and have achieved the impossible :-) Nullcpu + Sleepenabler work as well as running native AppleIntelCpu without Null and without Sleepenabler. Either way put CSTATES and PSTATES via Chameleon both to YES for low cpu temperatures.

THE SMBIOS MODEL needs to be MacBookPro5,1 , no problem for I have patched the GraphicsPower kext to work with Ati Radeon speedstep already, ( see ati pack above )

If using SLEEPENABLER then put "pmVersion=23" in boot plist for Snow, "pmVersion=102" for Lion". Sleepenabler MUST match the running OSX version, i.e. you cannot use a Sleepenabler for 10.6.7 on 10.6.8 and so forth.

If your DVD drive is not a SONY ( Apple uses them ) you MUST uncheck "spin down Harddisks" in Power Options . I have replaced the Drive in the L500 with a SONY OptiArc S-ATA Burner and it works but lot of people with other brands say it wont - if so then the hdd spindown must be off.

The methods most important for sleep to work : IN DSDT make USB appear as internal ( all 6 ), change Device IDs of USB ICH9M to ICH10. Method DTGP,HPET,LPC,SBUS IPIC,TIMR,WAK,RTC also applied to my aml code.. I used DTSE from EvoSoft and simply gone through all the options and applied what seemed easy. USB was a bit "complicated" only.

DSDT.AML FULLY FIXED for L500

Here is the full working DSDT as of August 17. works in Snow and Lion, 32 and 64 of course - no CMOS resets,sleep working, cpu detection, sound detection, usb internals etc. :

OPTIONAL : GENERIC DISPLAY NAME FIX

( Put in System//Library/Displays/Overrides ) - fixes the Toshiba Name as Vendor for the LCD, but that is only cosmetic. : DISPLAY_OVERRIDE_nameonly.zip

TO INSTALL KEXTS :

Lion version of Kextutility ( important, old ones will not properly create kernelcache ) : Kext_Utility_2.zip

LION TWEAKS

some people like to apply = Remove Animations, make Library visible, reverse Scrolling, old UI for ical and adressbook plus other "fixes" -- get "lion tweaks" software for free : here

post-156995-1310529646_thumb.png

Edited by smartie77

• 2 weeks later...
Does this tutorial work on HP Pavillion dv7-2085el?

only if GraphicsCard 4650mobility has vendor 1002 and Device ID 9480 and uses Shrike as Framebuffer with LVDS screen 1366x768.

The rest of the tutorial is pretty common for most Laptops that use a Intel chipset with Core(2)duo.

Sound might need a different kext. Toshiba loves the alc727, don't know what HP loves.

you need 2GB of Ram and core2duo for Lion. Else stick with Snow.

OK.. I have 4GB of RAM and I have an Intel Core 2 Quad. I have vendor 1002 and Decide ID 9480, but when I try to activate QE/CI my monitor is divided into 4 parts and I see the same thing...

This is an image http://imageshack.us/f/135/img0025aj.jpg/

As you can see from the image the QE/CI are enabled

How can i fix it?

that is Snow Leo that you use ?

Are you using Snow Leo ATI Kexts for it or the ones from this LION thread ?

ATI kexts from 10.6.8 are version 1.6.36

ATI kexts from 10.7 are version 7.2.9

for Snow use only the correct files, have a look at my Snow section, there is also a compatible ATY_init.

: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260786

Is your maximum screen size 1366x768 ? ( 15,6 inch screen ? )

HI smartie77

thank you for wonderful guide , i'm trying with you kexts to adjust my hp dv6 :D

but i did stupid mistake , i did replaced Trackpad prefpane of OSX ( in /S/L/prefpanes ) would you please uploade to original for me again, sorry i didn't see the warning you type in clear way :(

second thing is your cpu works 2 cores? i can boot only with cpus=1 please help

third can i do any modification to be able to have my ati mobility redon 4530 work? it would be very great from you

thank you in advance

again very nice guide thank you :)

Edit: i saw your reply now about to give it try to enable my ati, thank you for your kindly reply>> now will try :)

need the best boot for lion and ati please link please

Edit2: put my id 95531002 into aty and ati4600 give me card posted at startup **device --1** when adj pciroot=1

but not work!

-- Yes I use Snow Leopard.

------

Please do not use Lion kexts in SNow. Never .. this can't work. ATY_init for example from this guide is expecting completely different OSX internals then the one from my SNow topic..

--------

deleted, old infos outdated.

the resolution is the problem. My kexts are proofed to work in 15,6 inch with maximum 1366x768. You will need a different boot loader and in the worst case make your own ATI kexts. Have you tried using ATY_init instead of modded chameleons ?

Please do not use Lion kexts in SNow. Never .. this can't work. ATY_init for example from this guide is expecting completely different OSX internals then the one from my SNow topic..

I tried everything but I always had that result. How can i make my own Ati kext??? I also tried ATY_init but I always had that result... How can I do? Can you change your kext for 17 with the resolution 1600x900?

I tried everything but I always had that result. How can i make my own Ati kext??? I also tried ATY_init but I always had that result... How can I do? Can you change your kext for 17 with the resolution 1600x900?

no I can't. I have not such a display / card combination and also no other Laptop - I do all my stuff on one single machine and it is always the L500 - that simple.

----deleted, old infos outdated.

no I can't. I have not such a display / card combination and also no other Laptop - I do all my stuff on one single machine and it is always the L500 - that simple.

You need to build your own personality for the Ati Card or find at least out which frame buffer to use if shrike is the wrong one, that involves some advanced technics, dumping your graphic cards bios, starting osx with debug diagnostic kexts to be able to capture the graphics card connectors and then hex editing the values inside ATI4x00controller.kext. It might also need a very different frame buffer, for instance not shrike but shark,vervet,motmot or flickr.

see here for more info

and also here. its a lot to read, but that might be your only way.

I myself needed weeks to get the technical infos that I needed to make my own card work. Until 10.6.6 it never worked in OSX for me - that was until march/april 11 . In fact I tried OSX since Leo and it also only worked without QE/CI and basically I gave up, until I have gone through all the reading I refer to you,too.

Once I had my connectors for MY configuration it was easy and the method to patch the values for Snow and Lion is the same since 10.6.8.

Maybe somebody has a card and screen like you and can provide you ready kexts. I can't,sorry.

good luck :)

ook thaks :D

Hi there!

First at all congrats for the qe/qi fix you made.

Now, i was running sl with modded boot atiframebuffer and ati46xx for making my mobility 4650 working, but if i upgrade to lion, i get black screen, what should i do?

install ATY_init and ati 46xx from your topic and delete the old boot file (edited)?

i'm stuck at a kext error, of AppleFamilyProfile

Managed that out

Now i'm stuck at device in slot slot 1

I think is a problem of the graphic card

I don't know Why because we have the same card and res

Hi there!

First at all congrats for the qe/qi fix you made.

Now, i was running sl with modded boot atiframebuffer and ati46xx for making my mobility 4650 working, but if i upgrade to lion, i get black screen, what should i do?

install ATY_init and ati 46xx from your topic and delete the old boot file (edited)?

i'm stuck at a kext error, of AppleFamilyProfile

Managed that out

Now i'm stuck at device in slot slot 1

I think is a problem of the graphic card

I don't know Why because we have the same card and res

device in slot 1 is the graphics , yes.

For Lion you need a newer chameleon booter and you cannot use the SL ATI and/or ATY_init kexts, you need the ones from here - only these are working in Lion . The old ones from my Snow solution is not working in Lion.

( fakesmc,nullcpupowermanagement,voodoohda is still same as SL ).

You can go with the shrike.modded chameleon from here, or use any newer chameleon/chimera/pc-efi that is Lion compatible if you like ATY_init better as solution.

black screen or ""device in slot 1" with nothing happening is typically a Framebuffer problem :

used ATY_init and GraphicsEnabler=Yes = don't works, only one - init OR GE..

Have used a ATY_init from somewhere else ? Then you are not using Shrike but Motmot or Vervet FB .. mine have Shrike ( for Laptop LVDS )..

have used Apples stock ATI*.kexts and not these here ? Apples kexts cannot output to LVDS, only these here..

have a look into that possible issues. Also check that device ids in kexts are ok and that driver version is starting with a 7.2.9 or 7.4.9 ( SL has 1.6.26 and 1.6.36 kexts ).

to temporary be able to get to the desktop = remove all ATI.kexts from /S/L/E in single user mode ( boot with -s ). that gives a generic frame buffer at 1024x768. But you are then inside OSX again and can change kexts.

device in slot 1 is the graphics , yes.

For Lion you need a newer chameleon booter and you cannot use the SL ATI and/or ATY_init kexts, you need the ones from here - only these are working in Lion . The old ones from my Snow solution is not working in Lion.

( fakesmc,nullcpupowermanagement,voodoohda is still same as SL ).

You can go with the shrike.modded chameleon from here, or use any newer chameleon/chimera/pc-efi that is Lion compatible if you like ATY_init better as solution.

black screen or ""device in slot 1" with nothing happening is typically a Framebuffer problem :

used ATY_init and GraphicsEnabler=Yes = don't works, only one - init OR GE..

Have used a ATY_init from somewhere else ? Then you are not using Shrike but Motmot or Vervet FB .. mine have Shrike ( for Laptop LVDS )..

have used Apples stock ATI*.kexts and not these here ? Apples kexts cannot output to LVDS, only these here..

have a look into that possible issues. Also check that device ids in kexts are ok and that driver version is starting with a 7.2.9 or 7.4.9 ( SL has 1.6.26 and 1.6.36 kexts ).

to temporary be able to get to the desktop = remove all ATI.kexts from /S/L/E in single user mode ( boot with -s ). that gives a generic frame buffer at 1024x768. But you are then inside OSX again and can change kexts.

Thanks for your reply.

yes i used your kext, ATI_init, with a non edidet boot file, your last ati46xx kext for lion 32/64 bit and i booted with GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 (i used in SL a legacy kernell for dual core) npci=0x2000 -v

i installed the latest chameleon i think, following your link in this topic

and i also changed the smbios and the atipowermanagement as you explain

Should i delete radeonHD? is in S/L/E since snowleopard for making the 4650 to work.

Thanks for your reply.

------

Should i delete radeonHD? is in S/L/E since snowleopard for making the 4650 to work.

Ok, this explains everything.. Away with "radeonhd",yes.

My guides/topics always propose that you are NOT using radeonHD ( or for that matter any other Ati.kext replacements ) radeonHD is a replacement for the shrike frame buffer. In Lion ATIs own frame buffer is located inside ATI4600controller so it cannot work together. AtiRadeonX2000.kext ( which is for QE/CI )and the bundles won't load when not the original shrike fb inside ATi4600controller is used.

-----deleted, old infos outdated.

Hi smartie! Your guide was the only one with which I manage to get Lion finally well installed on my Hp dv6! Thanks!

Do you have any news about how to solve the cpus=1 issue so far? That is the only way i have to avoid the apci kernel panic!

Please let us know!

Best

• 2 weeks later...
Hi smartie! Your guide was the only one with which I manage to get Lion finally well installed on my Hp dv6! Thanks!

Do you have any news about how to solve the cpus=1 issue so far? That is the only way i have to avoid the apci kernel panic!

Please let us know!

Best

------

CPU detection :

Thats more a thing of using a better Bootloader and/or hhaving a proper DSDT ( CPU aliases need to be removed in DSDT ) ( use any Autopatcher ) . "Chimera" from tonymacx86.com is a good Booter ( based on chameleon of course ) , I use this one now all the time and have no issues ( use then with my ATY_init as QE/CI solution ).

Another ACPI thing to consider Lion-specific :

AppleACPIplatform and IOPCIfamily have changed compared to Snow. That'S for example why Voodoobattery no longer works with Lions two kexts. Then the only solution is to use the old 2 kexts from 10.6.7. Download the battery pack from guide above, it includes the two kexts.

If you want to use Lions ACPI and PCI kexts you can try booting with "npci=0x2000".

------

How would one go about modding the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext for a MacBookPro6,2?

depends on what iMac Model you would normally use to have gpu correct working. but you can fake ANY mac model of course, even MacMini . But be careful :

Say you use iMac 10,1 ( or 11, 1 .. )

so open up the graphicsPowermanagement.kext's Info.plist.

copy the complete values from that IMac Model, paste them into the wanted MacBookPro Model. Or the other way round : rename iMac Model to wanted MacBookPro Model ( but then delete the other ones . ). You just fool OSX into beliving the MacBook has the Gpu of the iMac. At least it works..

In every case : the gpu fansetting must be taken of a Mac that has the valid entries for the used card and the Laptop Model you wish to "brand" on OSX must be one that supports running Lion and also otherwise matches halfway the hardware.

The problem is more then a cosmetical thing : In Snow, the faked hardware was more or less no matter, but Lion has this new "About this mac" window and Lion also reads the System-ID,Serialnumber and what not to calculate if certain features of the OS are supported on the machine.

The values of iMac ( 9,1 maybe ) 10,1 11,1 can be used for the Mobility 4xxx series. For other mobility cards, I don't know. MacTracker.app from AppStore has a lot of infos of every Mac ever made, whats the gpu in them, how much Ram they have and also what OSX they run.

You need of course a matching SMBIOS file. ( If you make the iMac10,1 into MacBookPro6,2 in the kext then you need a MBP6,2 SMBIOS file in /extra )

So an ATI 5xxx series GPU would definitely be an iMac 11,2 or 11,3

Theres only a few lines in the info.plist file pertaining to the 11,2 and 11,3, especially when compared to the 10,1 and the 11,1 for the 4xxx cards. Which is:

<key>GFX0</key>
			<dict>
				<key>control-id</key>
				<integer>17</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>LogControl</key>
			<integer>0</integer>

For both 11,2 and 11,3, hmm i guess i will see what happens when i try it.

Edit: It works, thank you for the help.

deleted, old infos outdated.

I cleaned up the mess in this Guide and re-ordered it for Readability and change options to the easiest possible :)

All you need to know now and all files is on page 1. it covers installation of 10.7 and the update to 10.7.1 plus some speed tweaks. Lion is a beast.. but you can tame the cat !

:-)

Edited by smartie77

Hi!

I have a Satelite L500, and it works just great. Just two things keep bugging me :

1. I don't seem to have any VGA or HDMI signal. I connect the cables but nothing appears on the screen. System prefs say i don't have anything connected.

2. Does Bluetooth work for you? I can't seem to find anything to make it work.

Other than that, you did a great job! Thanks for the wonderful guide and resources provided.

Keep up the good work!

Hi!

I have a Satelite L500, and it works just great. Just two things keep bugging me :

1. I don't seem to have any VGA or HDMI signal. I connect the cables but nothing appears on the screen. System prefs say i don't have anything connected.

2. Does Bluetooth work for you? I can't seem to find anything to make it work.

Other than that, you did a great job! Thanks for the wonderful guide and resources provided.

Keep up the good work!

Hi,

1. try the latest 11c40 kexts for Lion, see update to topic1 or sig, I have patched them with all values, vga and hdmi. The values to patch are inside the zip package as textedit document. So you can apply them yourself or switch values around.

2. My Toshiba has no BT module. ( I know that there are models with BT, with modem .. - but mine has not ).

The only thing that I know that L500 with BT has a combined pci-e card that has Wifi and BT on the same chip. So maybe that's the issue ? Don't know if Apple uses such cards or how they implement BT in their Macbooks.