Lion Kextpack Ati 4650mobility 9480 device id Toshiba

smartie77

13 posts in this topic

NEW : GUIDE + kexts which covers all of the Satellite L500 hardware in Lion : please see this

Only useful for ATI RADEON MOBILITY 4650 cards that have device ID of 9480 and use Shrike via LVDS. Confirmed working here QE/CI/OpenGL in a Satellite L500-120 Core2Duo with Phoenix BIOS. 1366x768 , 15.6 inch.

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR LION GM ( FINAL ) -- for a QE/CI Snow Leo see my ( kextpack 10.6.8 ) thread here at insanelymac.

so also forget about the "experimental" topic I started ( bad kexts and bad overall try and error ) , here is the real deal :

post-156995-1310324727_thumb.png

ATY_INIT does not (yet) work ( in SL it does ), so back to a booter GraphicsEnabler shrike solution like I used early in SL.

post-156995-1310301451_thumb.png

remember that Lion is 64bit only and the kexts are meant to used that way - make sure arch=x86_x64 is in boot.plist.

You need the following packs, it contains everything needed .

- device ID 9480 ( mobility 4650 / 70 ) ATI version 7.2.9 kexts and plugin,bundles from Lion Final ( GM ). They are prehexedited to output to LVDS using Shrike Framebuffer. VGA and HDMI out should also work.

NEW LION ATI 7.2.9 LVDS 4650m kexts including plugins and bundles modded for Shrike LVDS,VGA and HDMI 4650mobilityLION_GM_ATI_ver7.2.9_KEXTS_put_in_S.L.E..zip

Optional but very useful : For future OSX updates ( 10.7.1 and so on ) you can make the hex patching yourself and no longer need to put 9480 device ID into the kexts - put this LegacyATI4600controller.kext inside /Extra/Extensions and run the included script after each time Apple updates the ATI kexts . For the script to work correctly you must open it one time with textedit and replace the name of Harddisk partition to your name that you use in OSX .

- credits to User akbarmoradi for this, is his work :No_Update_Pain.zip

- ATI 4650 ROM, this goes in /Extra together with SMBIOS.plist and boot.plist ( all included )

EXTRA.zip

- Special build of Lion compatible Chameleon, this is needed to make use of GraphicsEnabler=Yes ( Shrike FB forced on boot) , included a prefpane so you can edit the boot file via Systemsettings.

shrike.boot Installer + prefpane : BOOT.set.graphicsenabler_yes.zip

- Lion compatible kextutility : Kext_Utility.app.v2.5.0b.Lion.ready.jackieboy8.zip

I can proudly say that cam twist works, so the UVC internal webcam can still be used in Photobooth ( amazing new effects ! ) and FaceTime/Quicktime etc. Also a Logitech C310 worked instantly on Lion.

basically its all the same like in SL : put stuff in /extra, put ATI kexts ( and maybe the others ) in /S/L/E and repair permissions with the new kextulity.

Remember to install the chameleon package inside, this will update also your boot file in / .

SMBIOS 9,1 - 10,1 and 11,1 make sure that Fanspeed of 4650m gnu will work correctly. At the moment I use 11,1. In SL 9,1 worked best. Must try which is best for your CPU+GPU combination.

Notes about some "strange things" : Scrolling in Lion is upside down ( must get used to it, it is annoying to me ) , and widgets have no ripple effect anymore - thats normal - because Dashboard is now no overlay but part of spaces/missioncontrol ) .. :-)

You can see the difference if QE/CI is enabled, better : you feel it and will just know if it is on or not. The transparent menubar is maybe the only visual sign to show you it is on. With QE/CI everything is smooth as butter, without it is choppy,slow and jerky.. Also : the new version feature in Textedit.app ( which invokes a 3d time-machine like view ) won't work without QE/CI. Photobooth also needs QE/CI for its effects. DVDplayer of course,too.

Notice : If the scrolling is so annoying like to me , please install "Scroll Reverser" for OSX, its freeware and works without reboot, can launch hidden on login = Old Snow Scrolling back again.

My external Sitecom Wifi stick which uses Ralink kext and utility still works, installer of 10.6 used. Same true for Realtek R1xxx LAN card, also no problem. So I would say most kexts from SL can still be used, as long as they are fully 64bit aware.

post-156995-1310300646_thumb.jpg

post-156995-1310300668_thumb.jpg

Only useful for ATI RADEON MOBILITY 4650 cards that have device ID of 9480 and use Shrike via LVDS. Confirmed working here in a Satellite L500-120 Core2Duo with Phoenix BIOS. 1366x768 , 15.6 inch.

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR LION GM ( FINAL ) -- for Snow Leo see my ( kextpack 10.6.8 ) thread here at insanelymac.

so also forget about the "experimental" topic I started, here is the real deal :

hi smartie77 what is the problem that you have with lion before and how you fix it?

thanks

hi smartie77 what is the problem that you have with lion before and how you fix it?

thanks

Well my first Lion experiment just went totally wrong, I cannot recall why . I have been back to Snow in the meantime and installed Lion just this morning new to look again.

Your ATY_init will not load in Lion, therefore the shrike booter is needed like I did first also with Snow.

Also - I don't know for what reason the ATIRadeonX2000.kext from my first Lion install missed the plugin + bundles. Now on my installation of today they appeared in /S/L/E. I hex edited ATI4600controller for Shrike+LVDS ( just like your script does ), plus also VGA and HDMI out , based on my connectors.

I did the 10029480 device inside plists of 4600controller and x2000 kext.

Booted with this chameleon version here in x64 mode, GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the rom file in /Extra -- now working.

Solution with ATY_Init for Shrike would be easier, but I don't see why your kext not loads. In SL it is working. But the effect is the same : QE/CI .. the main thing :-P

Well my first Lion experiment just went totally wrong, I cannot recall why . I have been back to Snow in the meantime and installed Lion just this morning new to look again.

Your ATY_init will not load in Lion, therefore the shrike booter is needed like I did first also with Snow.

Also - I don't know for what reason the ATIRadeonX2000.kext from my first Lion install missed the plugin + bundles. Now on my installation of today they appeared in /S/L/E. I hex edited ATI4600controller for Shrike+LVDS ( just like your script does ), plus also VGA and HDMI out , based on my connectors.

I did the 10029480 device inside plists of 4600controller and x2000 kext.

Booted with this chameleon version here in x64 mode, GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the rom file in /Extra -- now working.

Solution with ATY_Init for Shrike would be easier, but I don't see why your kext not loads. In SL it is working. But the effect is the same : QE/CI .. the main thing :-P

thanks for your replay.and your work

i have suggestion for you

i am attaching the legacyati4600controller.kext to my post inside archive when you put it in extra/extension so no need to add anymore device id to ati4600controller.kext .it add the device id toati4600controller.kext when os boot in the fly .so when updating just run the script and no any editing.

thanks for your replay.and your work

i have suggestion for you

i am attaching the legacyati4600controller.kext to my post inside archive when you put it in extra/extension so no need to add anymore device id to ati4600controller.kext .it add the device id toati4600controller.kext when os boot in the fly .so when updating just run the script and no any editing.

yes of course that is always useful for future. NO matter if Boot solution or aty_init. i said already this is a great tool you made. :-)

I add it to the above solution.

Only useful for ATI RADEON MOBILITY 4650 cards that have device ID of 9480 and use Shrike via LVDS. Confirmed working here QE/CI/OpenGL in a Satellite L500-120 Core2Duo with Phoenix BIOS. 1366x768 , 15.6 inch.

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR LION GM ( FINAL ) -- for a QE/CI Snow Leo see my ( kextpack 10.6.8 ) thread here at insanelymac.

so also forget about the "experimental" topic I started ( bad kexts and bad overall try and error ) , here is the real deal :

post-156995-1310324727_thumb.png

ATY_INIT does not (yet) work ( in SL it does ), so back to a booter GraphicsEnabler shrike solution like I used early in SL.

post-156995-1310301451_thumb.png

remember that Lion is 64bit only and the kexts are meant to used that way - make sure arch=x86_x64 is in boot.plist.

You need the following packs, it contains everything needed .

- device ID 9480 ( mobility 4650 / 70 ) ATI version 7.2.9 kexts and plugin,bundles from Lion Final ( GM ). They are prehexedited to output to LVDS using Shrike Framebuffer. VGA and HDMI out should also work.

NEW LION ATI 7.2.9 LVDS 4650m kexts including plugins and bundles modded for Shrike LVDS,VGA and HDMI 4650mobilityLION_GM_ATI_ver7.2.9_KEXTS_put_in_S.L.E..zip

Optional but very useful : For future OSX updates ( 10.7.1 and so on ) you can make the hex patching yourself and no longer need to put 9480 device ID into the kexts - put this LegacyATI4600controller.kext inside /Extra/Extensions and run the included script after each time Apple updates the ATI kexts . For the script to work correctly you must open it one time with textedit and replace the name of Harddisk partition to your name that you use in OSX .

- credits to User akbarmoradi for this, is his work :No_Update_Pain.zip

- ATI 4650 ROM, this goes in /Extra together with SMBIOS.plist and boot.plist ( all included )

EXTRA.zip

- Special build of Lion compatible Chameleon, this is needed to make use of GraphicsEnabler=Yes ( Shrike FB forced on boot) , included a prefpane so you can edit the boot file via Systemsettings.

shrike.boot Installer + prefpane : BOOT.set.graphicsenabler_yes.zip

- Lion compatible kextutility : Kext_Utility.app.v2.5.0b.Lion.ready.jackieboy8.zip

I can proudly say that cam twist works, so the UVC internal webcam can still be used in Photobooth ( amazing new effects ! ) and FaceTime/Quicktime etc. Also a Logitech C310 worked instantly on Lion.

basically its all the same like in SL : put stuff in /extra, put ATI kexts ( and maybe the others ) in /S/L/E and repair permissions with the new kextulity.

Remember to install the chameleon package inside, this will update also your boot file in / .

SMBIOS 9,1 - 10,1 and 11,1 make sure that Fanspeed of 4650m gnu will work correctly. At the moment I use 11,1. In SL 9,1 worked best. Must try which is best for your CPU+GPU combination.

Notes about some "strange things" : Scrolling in Lion is upside down ( must get used to it, it is annoying to me ) , and widgets have no ripple effect anymore - thats normal - because Dashboard is now no overlay but part of spaces/missioncontrol ) .. :-)

You can see the difference if QE/CI is enabled, better : you feel it and will just know if it is on or not. The transparent menubar is maybe the only visual sign to show you it is on. With QE/CI everything is smooth as butter, without it is choppy,slow and jerky.. Also : the new version feature in Textedit.app ( which invokes a 3d time-machine like view ) won't work without QE/CI. Photobooth also needs QE/CI for its effects. DVDplayer of course,too.

Notice : If the scrolling is so annoying like to me , please install "Scroll Reverser" for OSX, its freeware and works without reboot, can launch hidden on login = Old Snow Scrolling back again.

My external Sitecom Wifi stick which uses Ralink kext and utility still works, installer of 10.6 used. Same true for Realtek R1xxx LAN card, also no problem. So I would say most kexts from SL can still be used, as long as they are fully 64bit aware.

Hello smartie77 can you say me the offset of shrike FB for lion?? Because now i'm on windows and i can't use otool by bcc9 thank you

Hello smartie77 can you say me the offset of shrike FB for lion?? Because now i'm on windows and i can't use otool by bcc9 thank you

hi, :D

I replaced the following in ATI4600controller 7.2.9 version ( LVDS entries appear 4 times in Lions kext):

APPLE LVDS default 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 02 01 00 03

TOSHIBA LVDS shrike 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 12 00 00 07

hexfiend.app used

works only if boot loader from this thread used, GE=YES and ROM in /Extra.

Also take care of the device ids in plists.

But in atiframebuffer exec i have to modify somenthing or no??

no.

In 10.6.8 and 10.7 the Framebuffer binary ( executable ) is only a stub, it holds no useful info.

The Framebuffer Hex values are in ATI4600controller binary only.

before the change ( in 10.6.7* and before ) the infos were in ATiFramebuffer, but no longer. Apple changed the drivers completely for 10.6.8 and Lion.

ATI kext version 1.6.26 ( Atiframebuffer hex ) = OSX 10.6.7

ATI kext version 1.6.36 (Ati4600controller hex ) = OSX 10.6.8

ATI kext version 7.2.9 ( Ati4600controller hex ) = OSX 10.7

* also there are two different driver sets for 10.6.7 :

the normal 10.6.7 combo update has "old" ATi kexts where the Hex values are still in AtiFramebuffer, but the 10.6.7 special update for MBP has the changed kexts where the Hexes are in Ati4600controller.

This is all related to architecture changes between Snow and Lion. 10.6.8 is a lot closer to Lion then 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 for non-MBPs. OpenGL and OpenCL in Lion is advanced, my best guess is that the kexts have changed to make use of that or to reduce memory footprint,improve graphics.. I really don't know. but in Snow I felt that starting with 10.6.8 the speed in Photoshop/3D was better. And in Lion performance for QE/CI is also greatly improved.

Edited by smartie77

Thank you for the answer i'll wait lion legacy kernel 11.0.0 for amd and than i'll try my new modded kext

will not take too long - Lion is coming fast.. Apple is pushing out updates for their ilife and aperture apps since 3 days.. that means 10.7 is out any minute now . The open source stuff follows then within days.

;)

• 2 months later...

I have HP Pavilion dv6 1199ee with ati mobility radeon 4650 and all works well

Thank you very very much!!!

For boot used original mach_kernel with cpus=1 -v -x32 ------ All works well!!!!!!!!!!!!

У меня эта машинка, все работает просто чудесно, осталось доставить дрова на звук и остальные!!!!!

Большое спасибо, два года мучался переберал все и наконец!!!!