WiFi-Stick for Lion?

FuManchu84

64 posts in this topic

Does anyone know a WiFi USB-Stick that works with Lion? My current one that works with SnowLeopard (LCS-8131N USB Wireless, Chip = Ralink RT2870F) doesn't work with Lion (Wireless utility freezes). I don't know if it's simply the missing driver support from Ralink or if there is some general incompatibility...

any one works with zydas kext

That doesn't work for me. I used this installer. It's pretty old but I believe there is no newer one. The installation using the installer fails. Just installing the kexts to S/L/E doesn't get my Wifi adapter working. Any advice?

The ralink driver from here has working kexts (displays working wifi adapter in network preferences) but the corresponding "Wireless Utility" that works with Snow Leopard hangs on Lion (spinning rainbow wheel and always displays "Disconnected!!").

Did anyone get Ralink RT2870F working with Lion?

i have edimax usb, based on rt2870,

all usb working currently except this one (actually this does't matter to me cause i'm getting this week apple genuine wifi card)

but this one, just don't, not with lion. it might be driver issue, because right now, when the card is in when i'm booting the led will flick and the "airport like" of the latest drivers just stuck in the status bar with the spinning ball on it, but once i replug it, the led is ON constantly. i had a lot of usb issues, and when i had unresponsive usb, and whenever i had some problem with usb the led on the wifi stay on all the time if i replug it (until restart).

but on previous osx (10.6) if something bricked the usb all of them was unstable until restart, now it's only wifi, all other usb just working as usual.

this for a lot of time making me think something isn't right with the usb dongle, or the drivers (i've been thinking this for a lot of time,and since lion made a new problem with usb = only the wifi does not work but al other functioning well, so because of this i ordered the genuine apple wifi, to test if there are problems with usb when the driver and dongle isn't there),

as of right now i'm tethering with my iPhone, and it working great and still test to see if i get any usb problem without the drivers

I'm using the original Ralink driver from the Ralink website (Link posted above).

USB(RT2870 /RT2770 /RT3X7X /RT537X)06/21/2011V4.1.4.010.4/10.5/10.6.

The "arch=i386" activates the 32Bit-mode, right? I currently don't use any kernel flags but I'll check in the evening if "arch=i386" makes any difference.

This is the same version as I use in both Snow and Lion. (I have a ralink branded USB dongle, not an OEM btw)

You do not need to boot in 32-bit mode, as the Ralink kext supports 64-bit as well. (which my system is using). The tool to configure the card is 32-bit, but it works fine regardless.

the "airport like" of the latest drivers just stuck in the status bar with the spinning ball on it

Yes, I have the exact same behavior...

but once i replug it, the led is ON constantly.

Ok, thanks for that hint, unplugging and replugging the dongle makes it work perfectly. But after a restart the wireless utility freezes again. So every time I reboot I have to unplug and replug and that's no real solution. Maybe it's a usb issue that has nothing to do with the driver/utility.

i'm getting this week apple genuine wifi card

Where do I get such a thing? Please report if it works! It would be fancy if it would work with the genuine airport utility.

Another question: The 32bit-mode does not seem to work... I added the following to my boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

But in the system report it still shows 64Bit kernel and extensions (sorry, the screenshot is in german)

post-381739-1309809360_thumb.png

So how do I REALLY get the 32bit-mode working.

got the invitation mail today, tomorow i'm picking it,

i bought it from ebay, with a PCIe dongle. tommorow i'll report :P

in my case replug didn't work but if it works for you, maybe this will work for you too

RT2500Replug.kext.zip

put it in E/E and change the vendor and device id in the

<key>idProduct</key>
		<integer>7711</integer>
		<key>idVendor</key>
		<integer>7392</integer>

this was helpful to me with the drivers before the latest one. with latest i didn't need it, but maybe it will work for you

as for

how do I REALLY get the 32bit-mode

strange you can't do it from boot.plist, try adding -v to see if it even works

or, just type it on chameleon prompt, it should work this way

• Like 1

so i've got my new wireless card, and it working OUT OF THE BOX :thumbsup_anim:

if you want to know details, i searched for macbook/imac/macbook pro wireless card on ebay,

i found this one = "Apple Wireless Wifi MacBook Pro Card BCM94321MC BCM4321"

also ordered a Pci Express 1x wifi dongle for it, with 3 antennas (but need only 2)

already when first booted with it the log screen showed me the airport icon at the top :)

can say to everyone to try it out! cost me only 30$!!, i don't know whom to give credit, cause i read it in a tutorial, but it's great and all credits goes to him :)

in my case replug didn't work but if it works for you, maybe this will work for you too

RT2500Replug.kext.zip ( 109.92K ) Number of downloads: 1

Unfortunately that didn't help (added my device- and vendor-id).

Does that Realtek-Chip work without driver?

so i've got my new wireless card, and it working OUT OF THE BOX

Sounds awesome!

So combining a card like this with some adapter like this does the trick? Is there anything else I have to take care of? Why do you need those antennas (there are also adapters without antenna...)? Isn't there an antenna in the card?

post-381739-1309897840_thumb.jpg

post-381739-1309897848_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know a WiFi USB-Stick that works with Lion? My current one that works with SnowLeopard (LCS-8131N USB Wireless, Chip = Ralink RT2870F) doesn't work with Lion (Wireless utility freezes). I don't know if it's simply the missing driver support from Ralink or if there is some general incompatibility...

TPLink TL-WN321G ...work fine in Lion .....

256h5kk.jpg

Unfortunately that didn't help (added my device- and vendor-id).

Does that Realtek-Chip work without driver?

Sounds awesome!

So combining a card like this with some adapter like this does the trick? Is there anything else I have to take care of? Why do you need those antennas (there are also adapters without antenna...)? Isn't there an antenna in the card?

post-381739-1309897840_thumb.jpg

post-381739-1309897848_thumb.jpg

Yep! just like mine. and the antennas of course are for the wifi reception, and they need to be connected to the wifi card (there are 2 connectors on this wifi card), just buy those two, combine, and put into your hack B)