[GUIDE] nForce 630i chipset MOBO with Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.7 Installation Made Simple!

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!! In this guide, you will learn how to install and natively run, Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (currently the most recent version) on your 630i nForce chipset. My PC is an Acer Aspire M5641 which has an nForce 630i MOBO and this was the BEST way of getting OS X on it.

Anyway, this guide will work on all nForce 630i MOBOs if followed correctly.

Before we start, I want to personally thank verdant and Krishna21, because without them, this guide wouldn’t have been POSSIBLE!! All the kexts and extensions are specially provided by them, and we really thank them for that.

So lets get started!! You will need:

Hardware:

1) 2 flash drives, one with at least 8GB and the other one with at least 4GB.

2) a SATA Hard Drive (Preferably 160GB+)

3) Another Mac OS X Leopard - Snow Leopard Computer/VMware

4) A Mac OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD or DVD Image

5) a SATA USB enclosure.

Software:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Which can be downloaded from tonymacosx86 website.

And the 10.6.7 combo update, available at Apple’s Website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drag the Setup Files.zip and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] into the 4GB Flash Drive, in Windows or OS X.

Start by powering up your other Mac/VMware (If you don’t have one, ask a friend that does or this will not be possible).

Follow this guide: http://geeknizer.com/make-bootable-usb-mac...6-snow-leopard/

to make your 8GB USB flash drive a bootable Snow Leopard Installation.

Once you are in your desktop, Connect your SATA Hard Disk to the Mac via the SATA to USB Enclosure.

Fire up Disk Utility. format your hard disk as 1 Partition "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", then click "Options" and select "GUID Partition Table".

After that, click on the grey bar at the top “Go” and then click "Go to Folder".

Type "Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages", and click Enter.

A new window will pop up, Scroll down and find "OSInstall.MPKG” after you double click it the Snow Leopard installation will launch. Click continue until you get to the destination screen. Select your hard drive.

Before installing; click "Customize". UNCHECK, I repeat, UNCHECK everything EXCEPT X11 and hit Install. Now sit back, get a cup of coffee perhaps and wait. The Installation should take a good 20 - 40 minutes.

After that is done eject your bootable USB Snow Leopard Installation, and connect your USB Flash Drive which contains the Mac OS X Setup Files that you downloaded via megaupload. And the 10.6.7 Combo update AND the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Run the Chameleon RC4 Setup Utility from the flash drive, and point it to your hard drive you just installed OS X on.

After that is done, go in to the folder “verdant” and locate "boot" and "mach_kernel" once you find these 2 files, drag and drop them to the root of the hard drive. You will be prompted to replace files that already exist. hit replace to both of them.

Once that is done, open the folder "Extra” in the root of the hard drive, and create a new folder (right click>new folder) and create a folder called "Extensions" (if it doesn’t already exist).

Put all of the extensions from the Verdant folder in the USB flash drive to the Extra/Extensions.

Now, right click and safely eject your HDD, as well as safely eject the USB Flash Drive!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, For the following step you need to change your BIOS to AHCI mode, open up your PC and put the HDD back in. This can only be done IF your mobo is FULLY AHCI Compliant. So, Go into your BIOS, and change your SATA mode to AHCI.

HOWEVER!!!

If you do not want to do so, and you DO NOT want to modify your bios, or if your mobo is NOT fully AHCI Compliant, then just connect your HDD you just installed OS X on via the USB enclosure into an empty USB port of your PC.

then, fire up your PC, go into your BIOS, go to Hard Disk Boot Priority, and make sure that the first boot device is the HDD with a “USB:” in front of it, and the second one is your main HDD which you probably have windows on. Save and exit.

Now, you will be prompted at the Chameleon bootloader you installed. head over to the Apple Icon that has the name you gave to the HDD when your partitioned it, type -v and boot into it.

Now, Depending on your video card. You will Probably see Apple’s fancy “Welcome” video. I’m using a nVidia Geforce 9500 GS so I saw a video. Pretty cool ^.^

Anyway. When the video finishes you will be guided through the setup of your new OS and you will be put to your OS X desktop!

BUT!! We are not done yet!!

Now, Plug back in your 4GB USB Flash Drive launch the "Legacy Kernel 10.6.0.PKG" which is inside the Krishna21 folder, and then launch the "Mac OS X 10.6.7 Combo Update" installer. Have both of them open.

Install OS X 10.6.7 on the hard drive. After it's done DO NOT CLOSE IT AND DO NOT HIT REBOOT!! Simply switch to the legacy kernel installer, and go through the steps. Check mark "Enable 64 Bit". Install it on the hard drive.

When you are in the legacy kernel installer after installing OS X 10.6.7, it's possible that both installers will randomly close. If this happens, simply reopen legacy kernel installer only and continue on!

After the Legacy Kernel 10.6.0 installation is done, go to /Extra on the hard drive, and DRAG "com.apple.boot.plist" to your desktop. Open it from your desktop; type "-force64 arch=i386" without the apostrophes. Type it inside <string>(type it here)</string), which is right under "<key>Kernel Flags</key>

IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE.

Reboot into Mac OS X 10.6.7!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now After that, everything is pretty easy!!

Time to install some Audio, Video and Ethernet shall we!!!!???

Audio:

On the 4GB Flash Drive, Head over to the Krishna21 folder, and Install HDAEnabler, using Kext Helper b7. After you've done that, head over to the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Launch it, and make sure that when you are in the "select kexts" window, your ticks ARE EXACTLY THE SAME LIKE HERE:

MultiBeast.png

After it's finished, reboot and tadaaa!! AUDIO!!

Ethernet:

Remove "IONetworkingFamily.Kext" from /System/Library/Extensions by going to that folder, and simply right clicking it and clicking "Move To trash."

Now, launch Kext Helper b7 from the USB Drive, and then drag "IONetworkingFamily.Kext" from the verdant folder and "nForceLAN.kext" from the Krishna21 folder to Kext Helper b7.

Type your password, click okay. Reboot. ethernet!!!

Graphics:

Remove NVDANV50Hal.kext from /System/Library/Extensions by right clicking the kext and clicking "Move to trash."

Open Kext Helper from the Flash Drive, drag and drop NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVInject.kext from the krishna21 folder flash drive to Kext Helper.

Let it install, reboot. And once you are in the chameleon bootloader, type GraphicsEnabler=Yes just to make sure the graphics are working, head over to /Extra ine the apple.com.boot.plist, and under "-force64 iarch=386"

type

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

After that reboot, and in the chameleon bootloader, just type -v, BOOM! GRAPHICS!!

screenshot20110521at105.png

My OSX desktop, booting off a 320GB SATA via USB enclosure!!

PROBLEMS:

Any random time, when booting, -v will hang at "USB: could not get chip to halt within 100ms".

When that happens, simply reboot the PC, and try again.

SLEEP DOES NOT WORK.

Enjoy OS X!!! And support Apple when you are able to!!

Thank you Krishna21 and verdant once again!!

And you can do software updates with no problems at all!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does microphone jack work for you? It doesn't for me (Acer X1700)

Yeah, it does work. (The Aspire M5641 has a front and a back microphone jack. Only the one on the works).

I've plugged my guitar in and recorded music with garageband several times. I'm not sure why your microphone doesn't work. But if you want mic for skype etc. You can buy a USB web-cam with built in mic, that is compatible with 10.6+

Also note I have problems with HDAEnabler--sometimes at boot it won't load.

But that can be fixed by typing "sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/HDAEnabler.kext" in Terminal (:

I haven't had problems with it, and I've installed 10.6.7 on my M5641 about 4 times xD. Thanks for the tip though :)

• 8 months later...