10.6.8 update TOSHIBA 4650Mobility 32 + 64 bit SL Internal 1366x768

smartie77

23 posts in this topic

!! UPDATED AGAIN 25.june 11 --> for 10.6.8, newer kexts -- please go HERE : 10.6.8 Toshiba 4650 mobility topic ( only this for future )

the following is outdated , only for 10.6.7 :

THIS IS FOR GETTING THE INTERNAL LVDS SCREEN WORKING WITH Quartz,Core Image and accelerated OpenGL on a Toshiba with 15,6 inch "Truebrite" Display and a 4650 mobility radeon

REMOVE RADEONHD.kext / RADEONDUMP from Dong before or it wont work !

I don't have external Monitors to test and I don't care about that ability.

In 32bit Mode PCI Cards will errorly show "ATY,shrike parent = NO Drivers Installed" in Sysprofiler, this is only optical. Everything works : full resolution, change, ripple effects, DVD player, Front Row, Screensavers, Transparent Menubar, ilife 11, Photoshop CS5, Poser 8/Pro and all other 3D,QE/CI stuff.

In 64bit mode everything in System Profiler is correct showing. I must have spoiled something will hexediting, but it is no issue at all, cause it works, therefore I wont tinker with it again.

If these kexts work not for you I am sorry, for me they do. Only trying to help out.

MY Hardware : Mobility 4650 HD , 1GB RAM DEVID 9480. 1366x768 internal LVDS, Toshiba Satelleite L500 Model late 2009. Phoenix BIOS v2.10.

Software : 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 will accept the kexts, just replace them in S/L/E and repair perms. Software like Photoshop will tell you that it uses 4670 ATI openGL which is correct.

Framebuffer is SHRIKE. No "green apple" or other color distortions. ( calibrate your display later with OSX ).

MacModel used in SMBIOS.plist is imac11,1 ( 9,1 and 10,1 should also do fine, they all feature 9480 cards, see "MacTracker" from the Appstore.Has all Macs data ). This is important for having the Fan / Clock Gating in the Card working correctly. Modes are handled inside a AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext in S/L/E. If imac 11,1 ( or other model with a Mobility Radeon ) is found then the powersaver features of the card are enabled by OSX. No Magic, just choose a mac model that fits your hardware halfway. :(

You need to put :

boot file in / ( that is your ROOT folder for the boot drive.. and this is "Chameleon" itself, just added 9480 ATI model as supported )

rom file in /Extra

edit your apple.com.boot.plist in /Extra so that it reads :

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

UseAtiRom=Yes

boot either with arch=i386 or arch=x86_x64.

the included Atiframebuffer,Ati4600Controller,Atisupport,AtiRadeonX2000.kext and all the X2000 Bundles are ALL you need in S/L/E . You can delete all other Ati kexts ( optionally ).

BOOT FILE boot.zip

ROM of a 4650 card EXTRA.zip

ATI KEXTS modded for 4650, 10.6.6/10.6.7 compatible FOR 10.6.8 kexts see link on top to updated topic ! ATImobility4650kexts.zip

technical background :

I put DevIDs of 1002 (ATI) 9480 ( = 46xx radeon family ) in both Ati4600Controller.kext and AtiRadeonX2000.kext

I hexedited Atiframebuffer this way for making it work with Shrike on LVDS:

x86

02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 12 00 00 07

x86_x64

00010F80

02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 01 00 00 12 00 00 07

post-156995-1304817899_thumb.jpg

post-156995-1304817916_thumb.jpg

why are you using the ati 2k kext i thought that card should be using 3k?

definately not. Ati4600controller calls the X2000 kext and plugins.

@Smartie77 great work!

I have a Radeon Mobility 4670 in my laptop which has device id 9488. You mention that you used device id 9480. To support the 46xx radeon family.

My question is does 'familiy' also mean that the device id 9488 is also supported? Or do I need to compile everything for my specific 9488 device id?

Thanks again!

More info:

ATOM BIOS Rom: 
SubsystemVendorID: 0x1028 SubsystemID: 0x0272
IOBaseAddress: 0x2000
Filename: BR034414.001
BIOS Bootup Message: 
BR034414-001 M96 DDR3 128bit 400e/800m                                      

PCI ID: 1002:9488
Connector at index 0
Type [@offset 46038]: VGA (1)
Encoder [@offset 46042]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)
i2cid [@offset 46118]: 0x95, OSX senseid: 0x6
Connector at index 1
Type [@offset 46048]: HDMI-A (11)
Encoder [@offset 46052]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 46141]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1
Connector at index 2
Type [@offset 46058]: LVDS (7)
Encoder [@offset 46062]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (0x21)
i2cid [@offset 46168]: 0x94, OSX senseid: 0x5
Connector at index 3
Type [@offset 46068]: DisplayPort (10)
Encoder [@offset 46072]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)
i2cid [@offset 46191]: 0x91, OSX senseid: 0x2

• 2 weeks later...

I all, how i REMOVE RADEONHD.kext / RADEONDUMP from Dong?

This work on a Toshiba A500???

Technology type: Technology of processor Intel® Centrino® 2, includes the Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo T9600, chpset Intel® GM45 Express and Intel® WiFi Link 5100

clock speed: 2,80 GHz

front side bus: 1066 MHz

cache of level 2: 6 MB

Operative system Windows Vista® Home Premium Genuine 32-bit (daily pay-installed Toshiba-HDD Recovery)

Windows Vista® Home Premium Genuine 64-bit (daily pay-installed Toshiba-HDD Recovery)

Color color: Precious Black

Memory standard: 6,144 (4,096 + 2,048) MB

maximum expansibilidade: 8,192 MB

technology: DDR2 RAM (800 MHz) Ecrã dimension: 40.6cm (16,0”)

type: Ecrã Toshiba TruBrite® Edge-to-Edge HD TFT High Brightness, format 16:9

internal resolution: 1,366 x 768

Graphical plate manufacturer: ATI

type: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 with HyperMemory™ technology

memory: 1,024 dedicated MB VRAM with technology HyperMemory™ (up to 2.301 MB of available total graphical memory with operative system of 32-bit and 3 GB of system memory or 3,325 MB with operative system of 64-bit with 5GB of system memory

type of memory: DDR3 Video RAM (resp. Video RAM and agreed memory of system)

connector bus: PCI Express®

Way of internal video Available internal ways of video:

resolution: 1,366 x 768

@Smartie77 great work!

I have a Radeon Mobility 4670 in my laptop which has device id 9488. You mention that you used device id 9480. To support the 46xx radeon family.

My question is does 'familiy' also mean that the device id 9488 is also supported? Or do I need to compile everything for my specific 9488 device id?

Thanks again!

SHOULD work, just try it. Put 9488 instead of 9480 inside info.plist of ATI4600Controller.kext and AtiRadeonX2000.kext .

I all, how i REMOVE RADEONHD.kext / RADEONDUMP from Dong?

This work on a Toshiba A500???

Removing a kext : delete them from /S/L/E, re-run kext utility, reboot.

I can only speak for the L models with core2duo . Dont know if A models are same technologie.

THANKS! Work perfectly but didn't work sleep i tryed yours sleepenabler from web site but the same. any idea?

i have toshiba satellite a500-133 intel p8700 2,53, ati 4650 1gb ;)

Sleep will only work with a fully patched DSDT. I have it also not working, makes too much trouble. I use laptop only on AC and for hours day by day as my main computer, therfore I dont care too much. Just shut down completely and boot again. This has to be fixed, but at the moment I dont like experimenting with my fine working OSX.

New Youtube - Presentation of my Folders,boot and smbios plists.

Here I show my folders,files and kexts. I hope this answers everything..

also always have a look into the Notebook Section of my postings , some people are only looking there.

post-156995-1305749619_thumb.jpg

Could you please attach your smbios.plist?

please add your solution to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253132 :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>IM111.88Z.0034.B00.0910301727</string>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>11/06/2009</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F2268DAE</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac11,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W88033AKY51</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>C0CE2600-93D7-3B41-843A-4D7C8E2C12E2</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1333</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Computer Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemserial</key>

<string>100000000</string>

<key>SMmempart</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am really fortunate that my card had activate by using your boot & kexts. using mac 10.6.7 64bit. Thank you very...... much.

Works everything, but no qe/ci.

Some one please help me to get qe/ci.

Thank you.

smartie77 could you upload your bootCD becouse I can't run Snow Retail installation, always blue screen, please.

I think I am not allowed to redistribute it. Get latest "[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]" from tonymacx86, he has a forum you need to become a member then you can download the iso, its very small. Boot Computer with that, then swap with the 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 retail DVD

I use the one from MacBoxSet which has iwork and ilife included, it turned out to be 10.6.3 , but I know people that have the solo "upgrade" DVD ( which in reality is a full version ), and that is often 10.6.0.

Hi, I am really fortunate that my card had activate by using your boot & kexts. using mac 10.6.7 64bit. Thank you very...... much.

Works everything, but no qe/ci.

Some one please help me to get qe/ci.

Thank you.

thank you. You might jump right to my updated link in 1st topic to get the kexts for 10.6.8, they are newer compared to 10.6.7. Boot and ROM is all the same.

If you have a screen internally and the correct resolution but no QE/CI/OpenGL working, then AtiRadeonX2000.kext and its plugins have not been loaded correctly.

Go to systemprofiler ( about this mac, more info ) , locate the "Software" section and click on "Extensions", it lists all the kexts that your OSX is using .

For full graphics support with QE/CI/openGL the following must be loaded and present in Systemprofiler :

ATI4600Controller.kext

ATIRADEONX2000.kext ( and the X2000 bundles and plugins, but they are not listed there )

ATISUPPORT.kext

ATIframebuffer.kext

AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext

AppleGraphicsControl.kext

The device ID for your card is correct ? remember I have tweaked the kext so for my card only, which goes by the ID of 9480.

I have 10029480 in the kexts, which is 1002 = ATI and 9480 = 4650/4670 card. Locate your deviceID from System Profiler, Graphics/Monitor Info - there you will find 0x9480 if it is a 46xx card. If you have a different number you must change the Device IDs in the kexts ( open package, then open the info.plist inside with textedit or better propertylisteditor )

The SMBIOS.plist in /Extra is also important : iMac 27inch has the Mobility 4670, and AppleGraphicsPowermangement.kext looks what Mac Model you run to enable GPU clockscaling.My SMBIOS.plist from here or the new 10.6.8 thread is set so that OSX thinks it is that iMac - because 4650 and 4670 are near to be identical, so clocksettings,OpenGL etc work exactly like on real iMac.

And in general when kext not loads correctly :

Always repair permissions, remove the metakext cache ( *.mkext) and reboot, for diagnosis best with the -v option to get boot messages instead the Apple Logo . Best to use kextutility for permission-repair in OSX , to be on the safe side also diskutility afterwards again or for single user boot ( -s) you can use "applejack" ( freeware, contains a lot of emergency options for single user boot ).

If all that does not help, you must diagnose why a specific kext wont load :

Open terminal in OSX , become root by typing sudo -s and then your password.

Now type kextload -v /path-to-your-files/ATIxxxxx.kext

this will try to load the given kext and tell you verbosly what happens. Be prepared that force-loading a kext can lead to a sudden kernel-panic in the worst case, but only temporary, reboot and its ok again.

Good Luck.

For full graphics support with QE/CI/openGL the following must be loaded and present in Systemprofiler :

ATI4600Controller.kext

ATIRADEONX2000.kext ( and the X2000 bundles and plugins, but they are not listed there )

ATISUPPORT.kext

ATIframebuffer.kext

AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext

AppleGraphicsControl.kext

Thank you for your quick reply.

All the kexts are presents in the list. I repaired the disk parmission & reboot, no change !!!

What can I do?

Thank you.

Thank you for your quick reply.

All the kexts are presents in the list. I repaired the disk parmission & reboot, no change !!!

What can I do?

Thank you.

can you run frontrow.app and DVDPlayer.app ? Do you have CoverFlow in iTunes ? can you open jpgs in Preview.app ? Take screenshots with grab.app ? get the ripple effect when you launch new widgets from dashboard ? Switching between user accounts is a blue cube that turns sides ?

those above all work only with QE/CI. The rest of OSX mostly works without it.

How do you feel that QE/CI is not working .. ? if the kexts are loaded, you should have.. strange ..

Is the BIOS.rom file using the name "1002_9480.rom" ( you must not rename it ! ) and sits in /Extra ? Is the com.apple.boot.plist having the string "UseAtiBios=Yes" or "UseAtiVideoBios=Yes" in it ? "GraphicsEnabler = YES" ?

Have you RadeonHD.kext or RadeonPCIdump.kext in /S/L/E or in /Extra/Extensions ? If so remove it, repair permissions. It conflicts with the Ati.kexts

Have you tried booting in 32bit mode ( com.apple.boot.plist : arch=i386 instead of x64_x86 ) and tried if this happens then too ?

I have owned totally different system of you, my one is dell inspiron n5010 i5 M460@2.53GHz.

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 550v(M96).

VRAM: 1024MB

ID&vendor: 1002_9480

Sub.sys.&vendor: 0447_1028

Only one similarity is gr. id & vendor - 1002_9480. After a long time searching for a solution of that card. but owner of the card is very minimum. by the way, based on the gr. id & vendor I had load your kexts & got output. Thanks once again for that.

Now, I can run every applications except DVD player. Don't have coverflow in itunes. Can take screenshots using grab. When i run dvd player then screen goes black, after that occurs karnel panic.

When I start the laptop - in the kexts list AppleGraphicsControl.kext exists, but after opening any application if then I check the kexts list the kext AppleGraphicsControl.kext disappeared. I had repair disc permission many times, No change at all.

I am using dsdt.aml provided by mald0n, .rom file made using everest. I attached all the files for your consideration.

Check Quartz extreme - display is accelerated(Actually I got nothing on display).

I had check both 64bit & 32 bit, all the things results same.

Thank you.

dsdt_rom_boot_smbios.zip

I have owned totally different system of you, my one is dell inspiron n5010 i5 M460@2.53GHz.

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 550v(M96).

VRAM: 1024MB

ID&vendor: 1002_9480

Sub.sys.&vendor: 0447_1028

Only one similarity is gr. id & vendor - 1002_9480. After a long time searching for a solution of that card. but owner of the card is very minimum. by the way, based on the gr. id & vendor I had load your kexts & got output. Thanks once again for that.

Now, I can run every applications except DVD player. Don't have coverflow in itunes. Can take screenshots using grab. When i run dvd player then screen goes black, after that occurs karnel panic.

When I start the laptop - in the kexts list AppleGraphicsControl.kext exists, but after opening any application if then I check the kexts list the kext AppleGraphicsControl.kext disappeared. I had repair disc permission many times, No change at all.

I am using dsdt.aml provided by mald0n, .rom file made using everest. I attached all the files for your consideration.

Check Quartz extreme - display is accelerated(Actually I got nothing on display).

I had check both 64bit & 32 bit, all the things results same.

Thank you.

try this may be fix your problem

open dvd player go to View/dienterlace/ and select better quality

That's great !!!! It works !!!!

Now, what can I do for get QE/CI ?

try to use my rom file in /extra for one boot and give it a try. backup yours outside of /Extra.

If boot does not work, boot with -s -x GraphicsEnabler=No UseAtiBios=No , then make the mac HD accesible with

mount -uw /

navigate to the Extra folder with

cd /Extra

rm 1002_9480.rom ( delete my rom )

cp /Backupfolder/1002_9480.rom /Extra ( copy your rom with same name back to /Extra)

shutdown -r now

reboots and uses again your rom.

else I cannot help much. You said you have a total different machine, only the GPU is the same. That's ok, but it could be that your laptop can not use Shrike FB or that the connector pins are not the same as in Toshiba. If that's the case you must edit your own Framebuffers.

@smarte

I have quick quastion .

when your display go to dim (turn of your display automaticlly when you pc is idle ) after turn on of display does your display is ok or scrambled.

i want to check that this problem is with ati 10.6.8 driver or is about my machine.

thanks

try to use my rom file in /extra for one boot and give it a try. backup yours outside of /Extra.

If boot does not work, boot with -s -x GraphicsEnabler=No UseAtiBios=No , then make the mac HD accesible with

mount -uw /

navigate to the Extra folder with

cd /Extra

rm 1002_9480.rom ( delete my rom )

cp /Backupfolder/1002_9480.rom /Extra ( copy your rom with same name back to /Extra)

shutdown -r now

reboots and uses again your rom.

else I cannot help much. You said you have a total different machine, only the GPU is the same. That's ok, but it could be that your laptop can not use Shrike FB or that the connector pins are not the same as in Toshiba. If that's the case you must edit your own Framebuffers.

Thank you.

Problem solved !!!!!

Reloaded the kexts and repair permission with disc utility.

Done !!!

Now, the problem with Front Row like dvd player. If i play dvd with Front Row occurs karnel panic after black screen.

Thanks.