Starting Out: Toshiba R630 Laptop

ajb667

19 posts in this topic

Hi All!

Great forum guys! Lots of interesting stuff but as I'm just starting out I'm a little out of my depth!

Got a new laptop from work last week - Toshiba R630-156 - nice and cheap, less than 1.5kg, magnesium case and i3-380M Core processor. Quite a powerful machine for its size :)

I started setting up a dual-boot, Win7 / XP machine (although I could probably get away with XP on VirtualBox / VirtualPC) and then I thought: triple-Boot with Linux for fun errr.... anyhoo, I really only need the Win7 so I thought OSX would be much more useful given more and more of my customers are getting them.

Machine Spec:

• Toshiba R630-156
  • Intel i3-380M Core processor
  • 3GB RAM
  • Hitachi 320GB 5400rpm 2.5" internal drive
  • Matsu{censored}a DVD rewriter
  • Intel HM55 Chipset
  • Intel HD onboard graphics
  • Realtek ALC269 Audio
  • Intel 82577LC LAN
  • Broadcom BCM4313 WiFi
  • Broadcom BCM2070 Bluetooth (via internal USB)
  • Toshiba Webcam (via internal USB)
  • External VGA, HDMI, USB and eSATA ports, Ricoh Cardreader... no ExpressCard :)
  • Loads of "clever stuff" from Tosh we can hopefully ignore! e.g. some weird gyroscope thingy that notices me lobbing the thing out of the window and parks the heads :)

My Background:

• Building custom PCs
  • Imaging systems, juggling drivers and system identities
  • Virtual Machines (VMWare and VirtualBox mostly)
  • C# Programming... um not much use here :)
  • Win2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7
  • OS9 (PowerMacs)
  • OSX.... not really!

Journey into OSX armed with:

• Old retail 10.6.0 install DVD
  • Borrowed 10.6.3 install DVD (from kind customer)
  • Install DVDs from <cough> dubious sources (not very good on iCore it seems)
  • Spare desktop machine

Step 1: Virtual Machine

First up I noticed the amount of work that required an existing working Mac so I spent some time loading up 10.6.0 on VirtualBox. I don't recommend VMWare as it's slow and really hasn't improved much since VMWare's glory days.

Tip for VirtualBox on Win7: if you have problems with USB devices try inserting a second time and they usually work. Also, if you notice the VirtualBox virtual USB driver failing to install you can manually override your chosen device and update it's driver in Device Manager... look for Oracle under manufacturers. Don't forget to add the Oracle Extensions pack to VirtualBox!

Trying various bootloaders I found [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] worked about the best but I didn't bother with any updates or [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. However, now I could save some time and dump the DVDs to a USB drive using Restore from the OSX disk utility. And yes, hardly anything works and it crashes horribly on shutdown :)

Step 2: Trying Bootloaders

Again, after experimenting with various bootloaders, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (basically Chameleon) seemed the most reliable. Others tended to need too many switches which gets a little boring after a few dozen install attempts.

Tip: busratio=19 for i3-380M (if needed by your loader)

Step 3: Retail Install

First attempt was with 10.6.0 which installed fine and freaked me out when it grabbed the webcam for my account pic... kewl :)

However, attempting to install any combo patches > 10.6.2 resulted in a KP. Plenty of people have had the same problem but the simplest solution is to give up. Let me clarify:

Tip for modern machines: don't waste time with 10.6.0 and start with 10.6.3 retail DVD

Took me about 6 installs to figure that one out. 10.6.3 *seemed* to work much better but this time the webcam was broken, such a loss QQ

Step 4: Combo Update

Now the 10.6.7 combo patch went fine. So on to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. This one had me stumped for a while: KP after combo/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] reboot due to Apple's CPU power management. Doh! forgot to rebuild the caches. Although the NullCPUpowermanagement kext was in there the cache didn't know. Grrrr...

Step 5: Booting with out [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD

This is where I'm up to. I selected the "easy" option in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as I really have no idea about hardware in relation to OSX. Booting seems to stall half way. Verbose option reveals the hang is after "DSMOS has arrived" which sorta points to some issue with graphics or networking maybe? I don't get any errors or warning messages up that point which is almost too perfect!

Tried -x option to no avail. Also tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No. Single User at least got to a command line prompt but the keyboard was dead. Going back to a boot CD pretty much gave the same result albeit with warnings about the kexts from the boot CD overriding the ones attempting to load from the internal hard drive. I've noticed after a minute or so there is some drive activity but it's still stuck.

Step 6: Give up?

Am I flogging a dead horse here or is there a chance this could work? I don't expect to get everything working perfectly but personally I would like to get it at least going with 10.6.7 booting from the internal drive without too many clever switches.

Should I start looking into DSDT? Looks complicated. Is some piece of my hardware stalling 10.6.7? Like it really hates the Intel HD graphics?

Some pointers would be appreciated :D

Best Regards,

Andy

Okay... as no one can help I'll try it a different way :(

I've loaded up VirtualBox on the laptop and funnily enough I've not had much luck here either. Odd, but I don't even get through the install process.

My desktop PC, although not perfect, does run OSX okay on VirtualBox so I'm seeing what happens if I copy the pre-made, pre-patched virtual machine over to the laptop.

Would anyone care to rate my chances of 1) getting it running 2) transferring the virtual machine data to a real partition and dropping the need for VirtualBox :D

Regards,

Andy

p.s. Interestingly, I had a similar problem installing OSX on VirtualBox where it stalled after "DSMOS has arrived" but this time a network card was mentioned as loaded and rebooting with "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" did the trick.

Hi All!

Step 2: Trying Bootloaders

Again, after experimenting with various bootloaders, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (basically Chameleon) seemed the most reliable. Others tended to need too many switches which gets a little boring after a few dozen install attempts.

Tip: busratio=19 for i3-380M (if needed by your loader)

Step 3: Retail Install

Tip for modern machines: don't waste time with 10.6.0 and start with 10.6.3 retail DVD

Took me about 6 installs to figure that one out. 10.6.3 *seemed* to work much better but this time the webcam was broken, such a loss QQ

Step 4: Combo Update

Now the 10.6.7 combo patch went fine. So on to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. This one had me stumped for a while: KP after combo/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] reboot due to Apple's CPU power management. Doh! forgot to rebuild the caches. Although the NullCPUpowermanagement kext was in there the cache didn't know. Grrrr...

Step 5: Booting with out [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD

This is where I'm up to. I selected the "easy" option in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] as I really have no idea about hardware in relation to OSX. Booting seems to stall half way. Verbose option reveals the hang is after "DSMOS has arrived" which sorta points to some issue with graphics or networking maybe? I don't get any errors or warning messages up that point which is almost too perfect!

Tried -x option to no avail. Also tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No. Single User at least got to a command line prompt but the keyboard was dead. Going back to a boot CD pretty much gave the same result albeit with warnings about the kexts from the boot CD overriding the ones attempting to load from the internal hard drive. I've noticed after a minute or so there is some drive activity but it's still stuck.

Step 6: Give up?

Am I flogging a dead horse here or is there a chance this could work? I don't expect to get everything working perfectly but personally I would like to get it at least going with 10.6.7 booting from the internal drive without too many clever switches.

Should I start looking into DSDT? Looks complicated. Is some piece of my hardware stalling 10.6.7? Like it really hates the Intel HD graphics?

Some pointers would be appreciated :P

Best Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn....jsp?service=UK

I was trying to find out what motherboard you had. Sometimes you can find Hackintosh support for the devices on the mobo rather than the computer model.

Maybe your notebook is too new, I didn't find any howtos from people who've installed Hackintosh onto your computer. Hackintosh is very picky about the hardware it will support, basically what Apple used and supported with some exceptions.

I think you did well to get to 10.6.7 and it booted ok. I think the installation is rather generic and uses safe mode, -x drivers. That leaves you venturing into [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] probably not knowing what you should choose. If after MB, you got kernel panic, KP, the likely cause is you installed the wrong kexts. It's possible to install conflicting kexts, for instance voodoohda.kext and alc889 used on my board.

Try looking up your devices, like your lan/internet stuff, on google, +hackintosh

Intel 82577LC LAN Broadcom BCM4313 WiFi

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...05771&st=40

AppleIntelE1000e.kext 32/64 for 10.6 & 10.5.

This driver is based on Intel Wired Ethernet for Linux ( e1000.sourceforge.net ) . As it uses ( almost as is ) Linux driver's source code, the license is GPL.

The original one was based on 1.1.2 and 82566mm OSX driver ( 82566mm-osx-driver.googlecode.com ), however, I removed 82566mm stuff in 1.2.8.

The base Linux driver is e100e-1.2.10 and can work with Intel PCI Express ethernet chips like 82578 used with P55 chipset.

( I tested 82573 and 82578 only as I do not have other NICs. )

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think the two most important things are graphics and internet. Sometimes you can get a hint about the right video driver by looking in Windows Device Manager.

The DSDT.aml is handy because it fixes some common problems. Most people get their DSDT from a database and there is also MaLd0n's DSDT auto-patcher. It is kind of hard to start off trying to generate a "fixed" DSDT.aml by yourself.

kexts in /Extra/Extensions are read first, they supercede kexts in /System/Library/Extensions -- the kexts in /S/L/E are often overwritten in an Update (10.6.7). Another important file is com.apple.Boot.plist which help make devices work.

I would add kexts rather slowly to your system, so you can identify which kext caused a KP. Probably the hardest device to get to work will be your video card.

One large problem kext was sleepenabler.kext and the fix was booting with the flag pmVersion=0 but you seem to have avoided that. The -v switch is for verbose and shows where the panic occurs in the loading process. You need fakesmc.

For the update to 10.6.7, I had to use iousbfamily.kext rollback to 10.6.2 or lose peripheral usb devices like drives.

Thanx for the reply!

Interesting... you may be on to something with the network drivers. I did mention the "DSMOS has arrived" stall and when run native no mention of my internal network card was made. Unlike when run under VirtualBox.

I shall investigate this avenue further but I have a wedding to go to this weekend so not much time :o

Refering to the motherboard: laptops are always tricky, especially so trying to shoe-horn OSX on but I guess it's Toshiba's take on the Intel HM55 chipset. I get that my best option is going down the DSDT route but there are no mentions I can find of anyone even attempting to load OSX on the R630 let along kicking out a premade DSDT file :D

Anyhoo, given the relative newness of this particular model - R630-156 - let me try and drum up some interest with a comparison to the 13" Macbook Pro. Suprising (even to me!) they are nearly idential specs so I'll just note some of the differences:

Physical

Mac 24mm(H)x325mm(W)x227mm(D) 2.04kg vs Tosh 18mm/27mm(H)x316mm(W)x227mm(D) 1.48kg

Aluminium vs Kewl Black Magnesium :) but otherwise similiar

Display

Max 1440x900 (16:10) vs Tosh 1366x768 (16:9)

Both Intel HD Graphics but Mac obviously better here

External Ports

Mac Firewire, Thunderbolt, Mini Display Port vs Tosh eSATA, VGA and HDMI

Other External

Mac Subwoofer vs Tosh keyboard has a Home/PgUp/PgDn/End column squeezed in

Battery

Mac 63.5Wh (7hrs) vs 66WH (8hr55m) manufacturers ratings ofc!

CPU

Mac i5 Core @ 2.3GHz (base spec) vs Tosh i3 Core @ 2.53GHz

Memory

Mac 4GB (base spec) vs Tosh 3GB

Price

Mac £999 (base spec) vs Tosh £649 (discounted to £579 retail)

So, if you could have OSX running on the Tosh you'd miss out on Firewire as a deal breaker IMHO. Obviously the Macbook Pro is a better machine but did I mention that the Tosh is made of kewl black magnesium ;)

Back to loading OSX on the thing: before the Macbooks started using Intel HD Graphics and iCore processors this would have been a lost cause, now I'm sure it'll work :D

Current progress: I transfered the pre-made VirtualBox image to my laptop and it boots... occasionally :moil: Now, this is the really feaky part: I dialled up the CPU count to 2 for a laugh knowing multicore is usually a cause of most problems and way-hay! we have lift off. Reliable booting every time with no switches :D Won't shut down but you can't have everything (and yes, EvOreboot is installed.)

Definitely getting somewhere... more next week!

Regards,

Andy

Thanx for the reply!

Interesting... you may be on to something with the network drivers. I did mention the "DSMOS has arrived" stall and when run native no mention of my internal network card was made. Unlike when run under VirtualBox.

I shall investigate this avenue further but I have a wedding to go to this weekend so not much time :D

Refering to the motherboard: laptops are always tricky, especially so trying to shoe-horn OSX on but I guess it's Toshiba's take on the Intel HM55 chipset. I get that my best option is going down the DSDT route but there are no mentions I can find of anyone even attempting to load OSX on the R630 let along kicking out a premade DSDT file :o

Anyhoo, given the relative newness of this particular model - R630-156 - let me try and drum up some interest with a comparison to the 13" Macbook Pro. Suprising (even to me!) they are nearly identical specs so I'll just note some of the differences:

Physical

Mac 24mm(H)x325mm(W)x227mm(D) 2.04kg vs Tosh 18mm/27mm(H)x316mm(W)x227mm(D) 1.48kg

Aluminium vs Kewl Black Magnesium :D but otherwise similiar

Display

Max 1440x900 (16:10) vs Tosh 1366x768 (16:9)

Both Intel HD Graphics but Mac obviously better here

External Ports

Mac Firewire, Thunderbolt, Mini Display Port vs Tosh eSATA, VGA and HDMI

Other External

Mac Subwoofer vs Tosh keyboard has a Home/PgUp/PgDn/End column squeezed in

Battery

Mac 63.5Wh (7hrs) vs 66WH (8hr55m) manufacturers ratings ofc!

CPU

Mac i5 Core @ 2.3GHz (base spec) vs Tosh i3 Core @ 2.53GHz

Memory

Mac 4GB (base spec) vs Tosh 3GB

Price

Mac £999 (base spec) vs Tosh £649 (discounted to £579 retail)

So, if you could have OSX running on the Tosh you'd miss out on Firewire as a deal breaker IMHO. Obviously the Macbook Pro is a better machine but did I mention that the Tosh is made of kewl black magnesium ;)

Back to loading OSX on the thing: before the Macbooks started using Intel HD Graphics and iCore processors this would have been a lost cause, now I'm sure it'll work :D

Current progress: I transfered the pre-made VirtualBox image to my laptop and it boots... occasionally :moil: Now, this is the really feaky part: I dialled up the CPU count to 2 for a laugh knowing multicore is usually a cause of most problems and way-hay! we have lift off. Reliable booting every time with no switches :D Won't shut down but you can't have everything (and yes, EvOreboot is installed.)

Definitely getting somewhere... more next week!

Regards,

Andy

When I had that 10.6.7 update KP caused by failing to remove sleepenabler.kext

before the update (I forgot I had installed it) I tried various flags along with it

besides the needed pmVersion=0; such as busratio=20 and cpus=1 -v

I still got the KP and finally I made an effort to decipher the cryptic error message,

which was something about a mismatch. I'd noticed from previous boots that it said

something about my system having 8 cpus/cores iirc. So next time I left out everything

but the pmVersion=0 and it booted up ok. If you boot up with -s mode, sometimes

you can get to a Terminal command line and delete the offending kext.

The usual problem is that the system will shut down but not restart, it hangs.

The real Macs have firewire 800. I built my upper-end system and I think only

firewire 400 is supported. I have usb3 and I think esata6 ports, but haven't tested

them, bereft of device, and I think they are supposed to be as fast as firewire 400.

I think you might be right about the similarity to the Macbook Pro. Disk Utility will

not even recognize the drive that OS X is supposed to be installed onto with some

of these computers. Or they never get past the first real boot after installation. I

think knowing some of the Linux commands/permissions is helpful, ls -la and sudo.

Apple used to provide minimal support for AMD cpus and ATI. So some of those

distros were designed to provide extra support for those systems. That is changing

now. I like the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] interface because it's clear what additional kexts/functions

one is adding to the system. The UserDSDT option isn't availabe to you yet. I think

that the EasyDSDT (the other option) is safe enough, don't know if it fixes no shutdown.

http://www.kexts.com/view/1142-kext_wizard...tion_fixed.html

Recommended kext utility.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219114

"Attached is a new kext I created for the latest round of Intel E1000e wired network cards. . I got the latest Intel Linux driver code and put that into dingguijin's framework. This kext works well for me on my Dell Latitude E6410 which has a 82577LM card but should work with other new Intel network cards."

E1000_DEV_ID_PCH_M_HV_LC 0x10EB 82577LC Gigabit Network Connection [Download for x32/x64 available]

Andy wrote: "Back to loading OSX on the thing: before the Macbooks started using Intel HD Graphics and iCore processors this would have been a lost cause, now I'm sure it'll work" :D

Since you are sure the Intel Graphics will work, I did the hard part of finding the right LAN driver/kext. :)

If the wifi device doesn't work easily, many people resort to buying a usb device for wifi. But Slice wrote:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1639816

"But as I know BCM4313 may works with vanilla driver." + arcane code

Two good present movies for 10+ year olds, and watch with them, are the Disney movies

"The Music Man" and "The Last Starfighter" both "star" Robert Preston who fits his role ideally.

Okay... I've played about enough with VirtualBox to learn a little more about OSX (I hope!)

Back to installing on my laptop. I grabbed the latest modCD, now I knew a bit more about it, and tried to install the 10.6.3 Retail DVD again. I did the 10.6.7 combo + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] but no luck on rebooting. Still hangs sometime between "DSMOS has arrived" and the GUI starting.

This time however, I managed to boot up using modCD and it was nice to see 10.6.7 in the "About" box plus the correct CPU ID for my Core i3 :)

So... I think I have two routes now: modify my Chameleon to mimic what modCD is doing to and/or get stuck into the black art of DSDT!

I did try the network driver you mentioned and it shows up nicely on screen as AppleIntelE1000e with its MAC address, so thanks for that tip.

I still think my problems are graphics related. Given that the current Macbook Pros have Intel HD Graphics and the sleight-of-hand modCD does to guarantee some sort of GUI appears :D Probably a case of getting OSX to recognise my onboard graphics as something it likes...

Back to DSDT it seems.

Regards,

Andy

Okay... I've played about enough with VirtualBox to learn a little more about OSX (I hope!)

Back to installing on my laptop. I grabbed the latest modCD, now I knew a bit more about it, and tried to install the 10.6.3 Retail DVD again. I did the 10.6.7 combo + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] but no luck on rebooting. Still hangs sometime between "DSMOS has arrived" and the GUI starting.

This time however, I managed to boot up using modCD and it was nice to see 10.6.7 in the "About" box plus the correct CPU ID for my Core i3 :)

So... I think I have two routes now: modify my Chameleon to mimic what modCD is doing to and/or get stuck into the black art of DSDT!

I did try the network driver you mentioned and it shows up nicely on screen as AppleIntelE1000e with its MAC address, so thanks for that tip.

I still think my problems are graphics related. Given that the current Macbook Pros have Intel HD Graphics and the sleight-of-hand modCD does to guarantee some sort of GUI appears :D Probably a case of getting OSX to recognize my onboard graphics as something it likes...

Back to DSDT it seems.

Regards,

Andy

For Hackinstosh installs, graphics, audio and ethernet are very usually todo things

after the initial installation. I think a generic video driver is used, nothing specific. -x

It's like when you install Windows, there is a generic video driver used to get you

through the install. But then to get your devices to work, you have to usually use the

dvd of drivers that came with the mobo. If you have onboard graphics, then that may be

enough. But if you have a dedicated graphics card, then you need the install cd that

came with it, or go to the manufacturer and download it. So getting it to boot up is

something, but not all that much because the kexts/drivers that deliver the full

functionality to your devices haven't yet been installed. None of those boot cds will

have the video driver you need on it. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], the kext install program, may have it.

Of course you need to get to a completed boot screen to install the drivers still needed.

And not all boot cds are created equal. But that's just to get one by, not the real McCoy :huh:

Maybe you knew all this, but you weren't outlining your plan to agree with it when you wrote,

... "modify my Chameleon to mimic what modCD is doing"...

I think that will at most get you to the point where you can install more needed specific kexts.

Chameleon, the bootloader, is found on [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cds. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] the default universal has some support for i3; [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy For Unsupported CPUs & GPUs

The new kexts come from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] when using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + MB method. But the ModCD, rug sweeps, imo,

"Used the kernel blacklist code to disable graphics kexts when using the CD. This way there won’t be issues anymore."

So this will boot up, but if you mimic it, you have no graphics kext and no full functionality for your video card. Well,

if you can't find a driver for your Intel GMA, half a cake is better than letting them eat none, m.m.

------------------------------------------------

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/ch...-gma-version-2/

"This is a new version of the modified Chameleon 2 RC4 bootloader, to get (wide) native resolution on most Intel GMA. I tried to solve the common problems of the previous release.

The behaviour of the bootloader has been modified as follows:

1. The desired resolution is read from “Graphics Mode” key in com.apple.Boot.plist

2. If the key is not present, the bootloader reads the default resolution of your LCD/Monitor from EDID

3. The first entry of vesa bios modetable is patched with the new resolution, so OSX can find it and boot correctly.

-The major improvement is that now you can specify your custom wide resolution. For example, on my Inspiron 1545, I was able to get 1280×720 instead of 1366×768. Obviously, the resolution must be supported by your monitor and graphics card, so first ensure of that using windows or linux.

The string format must be in the classical form [example parameters]:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x720x32</string>

Don’t forget to check for the existence of com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra "

---------------------------------------

Perhaps this will help with the resolution, but your transparency will suffer

until the correct kext is discovered. QE = Quartz Extreme ^^^^ CI = Core Image

This deviato idea is untested by me. Have you tried any graphics .kext yet?

Chameleon is a good bootloader for Hackintosh because it reads /Extra and loads

com.apple.Boot.plist (a config file) found in /Extra, and I don't think other bootloaders do.

I'm currently looking at the DSDT for my R630. MaLd0n was kind enough to fix the errors in the DSDT section. Unfortunately, this leads to another problem: Kernel Panic for the AppleACPIPlatform just after the kernel is loaded :(

Seems to be a lot of mentions of this but I haven't turned up any clear solutions. A few people have had success dropping the new kext (1.3.5) to one from 10.6.3 (1.3.2) but that didn't work for me.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Andy

I'm currently looking at the DSDT for my R630. MaLd0n was kind enough to fix the errors in the DSDT section. Unfortunately, this leads to another problem: Kernel Panic for the AppleACPIPlatform just after the kernel is loaded ;)

Seems to be a lot of mentions of this but I haven't turned up any clear solutions. A few people have had success dropping the new kext (1.3.5) to one from 10.6.3 (1.3.2) but that didn't work for me.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Andy

Play around with enabling or disabling one of these two kexts. You did enable HPET in Bios?

Before you mentioned: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement NullCPUpowermanagement

Null*.kext may contribute to the Kernel Panic AppleACPIPlatform

I think you resolved this by removing NullCPUpowermanagement which

surprised me a bit. It seems that your new DSDT.aml is rendering some

kext superflous or even conflicting in your power management.

The next link is old but says some interesting things about the kexts

that go into /Extra/Extensions.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

"Disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext – this extension is required until you have built a proper dsdt for your system. Without this or the dsdt your system will not boot (kernel panic).
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is suggested that everyone use this kext for now even if your system runs fine without it. There is an unresolved issue with the way AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext handles HPET on non-apple hardware that causes the CPU to run much hotter than normal."

"NullCPUPowerManagement.kext? That kext kills OS X native Power Management- what we edit our DSDTs HPET section for, so we can have native power states for the cpu as if it's in a Mac." tonymacosx

"AppleAcpiPlatform.kext- essential kext for turning on power management ,cpu throttling, cpu fan work kext-"

Hey ajb667

look it

Extra.zip

1- Copy the Extra folder to your boot partition

2- Install Chameleon RC5

3- Update the system to 10.6.7

reboot

dont use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

use clean install

remove Intel HD kexts

Let me know whether it is working or not.

Mmm, no good :)

Installed in that order and removed the Intel HD kexts but I still get the same AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement KP. I also tried adding the NullCPUPowerManagement kext back in and got KP on AppleACPIPlatform again.

Trying some random things, I pulled the DSDT.dml file and added in the Extensions.mkext from modCD. And it booted! Which is a first for my system without using some sort of boot CD.

Obviously there's some magic involved in nawcom's Extensions (blacklisting of kexts is an obvious example) so I've just tried with a minimum FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement (as I'm not using the DSDT.dml) and...

It boots! Um...

But no keyboard or mouse, just put that Voodoo PS/2 stuff back in and...

It boots betterer!

Okay, some testing:

• mach_kernel x32 boots fine
  • mach_kernel x64 KPs on ACPI like with the DSDT.aml
  • nawcom's legacy_kernel for 10.7.0 is also fine as x32
  • legacy_kernel x64 doesn't KP but does stall waiting around for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

So, 3 possibilities here:

• I'm a noob and didn't try the arch=i386 a lot earlier (pure ignorance on my part)
  • Killing the Intel HD kexts helped a lot
  • The new Lion version of Chameleon helped (kewl new theme, thanx MaLd0n!)

Or possibly a combination of all three :D

The journey continues...

Regards,

Andy

Mmm, no good :D

Installed in that order and removed the Intel HD kexts but I still get the same AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement KP. I also tried adding the NullCPUPowerManagement kext back in and got KP on AppleACPIPlatform again.

Trying some random things, I pulled the DSDT.dml file and added in the Extensions.mkext from modCD. And it booted! Which is a first for my system without using some sort of boot CD.

Obviously there's some magic involved in nawcom's Extensions (blacklisting of kexts is an obvious example) so I've just tried with a minimum FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement (as I'm not using the DSDT.dml) and...

It boots! Um...

But no keyboard or mouse, just put that Voodoo PS/2 stuff back in and...

It boots betterer!

Okay, some testing:

• mach_kernel x32 boots fine
  • mach_kernel x64 KPs on ACPI like with the DSDT.aml
  • nawcom's legacy_kernel for 10.7.0 is also fine as x32
  • legacy_kernel x64 doesn't KP but does stall waiting around for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

So, 3 possibilities here:

• I'm a noob and didn't try the arch=i386 a lot earlier (pure ignorance on my part)
  • Killing the Intel HD kexts helped a lot
  • The new Lion version of Chameleon helped (kewl new theme, thanx MaLd0n!)

Or possibly a combination of all three :)

The journey continues...

Regards,

Andy

It sounds like you're ahead going down the homestretch, going to the whip.

Chameleon reads /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and loads it during bootup.

This is what MaLd0n sent you,

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

arch=x86_64 is correct for x64, I made a mistake once with just x64.

Here is another c.a.B.plist, although on my system, it's empty.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Here are various notes/methods about getting your audio device to work:

---

alc269: VoodooHDA (32/64 bits), also could use LegacyAppleHDA

---

Audio HDA ALC269 Yes VoodooHDA 2.72, then replace the

kext with the latest patched VoodooHDA.kext for ALC269 from KEXTS.C*M.

(Internal speakers, Internal Mic and Analog I/O all work)

---

Audio Realtek ALC269 Yes Patched AppleHDA with DSDT section HDEF

---

Audio: Realtek ALC269 (works with VoodooHDA, but remove AppleHDA)

---

I have ALC889 and a dedicated kext, so I had to remove voodoohda.kext

in order to get it to work. Perhaps your audio is working out of the box.

I read the link above, and this part made me think of Nawcom's modCD.

"Unfortunately, a 64-bit processor alone doesn’t suffice. Out of the box, boot.efi will not boot K64 even if you have a 64-bit processor and explicitly request K64 if at least one of the following is true.

1. The machine has 32-bit EFI.
  2. The machine’s model is prohibited from booting K64 through a hardcoded list within the boot loader. (A cursory look suggests that the list excludes "non-Pro" machines.)"

The smbios.plist MaLd0n provided specified a MacBook Pro. I'm out of

my depth: "Good Night and Good Luck", another good movie, signing off.

P.S. My circumstantial evidence: I was reading Nawcom's blog, and this question was asked.

Local says:

December 8, 2010 at 4:31 am

"Thank you for the great release.

Phenom 9550 up and working x32.

Just one question. Your previous 10.6.5 kernel was 15.2 MB in size,

while kernel on this cd is 7.5 MB, can you please share the differences?"

And Nawcom replied:

"nawcom says:

December 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm

"It’s only compiled for i386, not i386 and x86_64. That’s why it’s half the size.

I would say that I keep it i386 only for compatibility with all known supported CPUS."

Mulcyber: That strikes me as having the potential for imposing a limitation.

Nawcom writes about his newest version of modCD, Feb14 2011: "Fixes: Bootloader that’s installed,

ICH10 AHCI/AppleIntelPIIXATA devid issue, JMicronATA causing an AppleAHCIPort kernel panic"

Okay, just so I've not gone completely mad I tried a standard boot CD + Retail install, combo then [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Then added "arch=i386" and nope, same as in my first post.

However, after a few more test installs it seems the AppleIntelHD* kexts were leading to the hang as before: either as a stall or at best switching to a blank grey screen.

Reading around I gather either my HD Graphics won't work at all or more likely be enabled by using a working DSDT.aml and/or hacking around the kexts. I shall leave the investigations of the graphics for a while and look into the other hardware.

So far I have:

• System updated to 10.6.7
  • booting mach_kernel as x32 (but not x64)
  • Wired Ethernet
  • Basic VESA graphic support
  • Accurate memory and processor description in "About"

Things that probably work but not fully tested:

• Keyboard (some characters in wrong places but not really surprising in hackintosh!)
  • Trackpad (works but in theory could have multitouch)
  • non-DSDT power support (SleepEnabler, VoodooBattery, etc. load but not looked at)
  • USB devices (work most of the time but occasional KPs on insertion)
  • DVD-Writer (OSX lists all the capabilities I'd expect)
  • Sound (need to find which kext best suits the ALC269)

Not working but probably might:

• Lid webcam (works in 10.6.0 retail, breaks from 10.6.3 on, related to above USB issues?)

No idea on these at the moment:

• Wifi (BCM4313)
  • Bluetooth (BCM2070)
  • Full graphics support
  • DSDT

I have a theory on the BCM4313: posts on this usually finish with hacking around the vanilla IO80211Family.kext with focus on the BCM4311 kext. However, looking at the specs on Broadcom's site the 4311 and 4313 have nothing in common and I can't see any relation between them other than +2 :(

Also in IO80211Family.kext is the BCM43224 which on paper is very similar to the BCM4313 but the former has a dual 2.4/5GHz transmitter - both are 'n' capable. I shall be looking here :D

More later!

Regards,

Andy

• Sound (need to find which kext best suits the ALC269)

EDIT: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=1656.0

Re: ALC269 10ec:0269 & Nvidia 330m HDMI Larsen effect!!!

Solved!! Close this topic!

Solution is to edit VoodooHDA 2.7.2 plist:

Change iGan from 90 to 0

Change iMix from 0 to 70

Add Mic entry with value 70

Now no Larsen effect, sound works, mic works (don't know what about HDMI).

05/11/2011 01:27 PM <DIR> .Trashes

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleac97audio.pkg <-----

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleatiata.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleazaliaaudio.pkg <----

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleintelpiixata.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> applenforceata.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleps2.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> appleviaata.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> chameleon-more.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> elliotrtc.pkg

05/11/2011 01:27 PM <DIR> Extra

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> graphicsenabler.pkg

05/11/2011 01:27 PM <DIR> HFS+ Private Directory Data_

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> ioatafamily.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> jmicronata.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> legacy_kernel.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> mcp78side.pkg

03/23/2011 03:10 PM 77,113,344 OSX86_ModCD-032311-151021.iso

05/11/2011 01:25 PM 76,189,696 Preboot.dmg

05/11/2011 01:27 PM 229 RAMDisk.plist

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> sleepenabler.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> voodoohda.pkg <------

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> wired.pkg

05/11/2011 01:30 PM <DIR> wireless.pkg

05/11/2011 01:27 PM <DIR> ____HFS+ Private Data

I think the voodoohda (2.72) kext has the best chance for audio.

http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloa...mp;can=2&q=

See if you already have the voodoohda.kext installed in

System/Library/Extensions S/L/E The 3 arrows indicate audio pkgs.

Very nice! Will look at that next B)

As for the BCM4313, hacking the kext for the BCM4311 or BCM43224 didn't seem to achieve much B) Given the number of people who have hit the same road block I'll just get a USB Wifi stick until some kind soul ports over the Broadcom open source linux driver.

Strange... last few boot ups I could get both x32 and x64 running. No idea what I did there!

Anyhoo, will have to leave this project till next week as I actually have to do some real work B)

Regards,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I see Lion is coming out soon. I've given up looking at the BCM4313, fortunately I had a Linksys USB adapter that works fine.

Refering back to the work / doesn't work list, the biggest stumbling blocks I see for my laptop and quite a few others here are:

• BroadCom BCM4313 - a very common budget N-series card, any hope there could be native support in Lion?
  • Intel HD graphics - a wide-reaching term that covers a lot of chipsets. I believe my variant falls between being to new for standard Snow Leopard support and too old to be helped by the Sandy Bridge updates. Maybe I need to look again at getting at my DSDT.dml working!

Everything else seems negotiable :D I will put this project on hold till Lion comes out. If I can at least get my graphics working okay I'll consider swapping the BCM4313 for something Airport compatible.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Regards,

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hey together.

I was just able, after trying Lion and Hazard's 10.6.6i (which both failed), to install 10.6.0 with the retail DVD and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] which i downloaded at tonymacx86. However i have some problems! Running the Combo Update 10.6.8 results in a Kernel Panic near the end of the installation ("Moving items to their destination..." at ~90%)! Can you please help me to explore what the issues might be?

Here are my specs (from a german program - sorry if i have not translated everything!):

Toshiba Satellite R630 (ANOTHER model than the thread creator has!!)

* * CPU
  * * * Intel Core i5 460M  @ 2.53GHz* 44 °C
  * * * Arrandale 32nm Technology
  * * RAM
  * * * 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
  * * Motherboard
  * * * TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)* 50 °C
  * * Graphics
  * * * Internal LCD (1366x768@60Hz)
  * * * Intel(R) HD Graphics
  * * HDD
  * * * 313GB Hitachi Hitachi HTS545032B9A300 (SATA)
  * * Audio
  * * * Realtek High Definition Audio
  CPU
  * * Intel Core i5 460M
  * * * Cores* 2
  * * * Threads* 4
  * * * Name* Intel Core i5 460M
  * * * Codename* Arrandale
  * * * Socket* Socket 989 rPGA
  * * * Technology* 32nm
  * * * Specification* Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz
  Motherboard
  * Manufacturer* TOSHIBA
  * Model* Portable PC
  * Version* PT31LE-01D00HGR
  * Chipset* Intel
  * Chipsetmodel* Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
  * Chipsetrevision* 02
  * Southbridge* Intel
  * Southbridgemodel* HM55
  * Southbridgerevision* 06
  * * BIOS
  * * * Brand* TOSHIBA
  * * * Version* Version 1.70
  * * * Date* 11/11/2010
  Graphics
  * * Monitor
  * * * Name* Internal LCD on Intel HD Graphics
  * * * Resolution* 1366x768 Pixel
  * * Intel(R) HD Graphics
  * * * Memory* 1720 MB
  * * * Type* 2
  * * * Driver-Version* 8.15.10.2189
  HDD
  * * Hitachi HTS545032B9A300
  Audio
  * * Soundcards
  * * * Realtek High Definition Audio
  * * * Intel(R) Display-Audio
  I/O
  * * Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
  * * Adapters List
  * * * * Broadcom 802.11n-Networkadapter
  * * * * Intel(R) 82577LC Gigabit Network Connection

Please keep in mind, i have no graphics card, just my i5! Do you have any ideas how i can easily manage to install and update SL to 10.6.6-10.6.8 and maybe upgrade to 10.7 as my laptop can't boot directly the Lion Installer from my USB stick (whyever?!).