[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE

wtcnbrwndo4u

164 posts in this topic

I don't see this posted, so I'm making a HowTo.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Anyways, you will find the following line.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff </string>

You will have to add the following bit to the end of that line.

0x27dc8086

In the end, it will look like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff 0x27dc8086</string>

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Open up Terminal and type in the following

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm able to get the Built-In Ethernet working. Everything is fine. Only one problem I've got is the connection problem to the share folder under Windows in my workgroup.

I'm sharing a folder in Windows. When I want to connect to that folder, I open finder / go. Then type the remote IP address. However when I click at "Connect" button, nothing happen. I can only close that screen.

On the other hand, windows can reach my sharing folder under MacOS.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I'm able to get the Built-In Ethernet working. Everything is fine. Only one problem I've got is the connection problem to the share folder under Windows in my workgroup.

I'm sharing a folder in Windows. When I want to connect to that folder, I open finder / go. Then type the remote IP address. However when I click at "Connect" button, nothing happen. I can only close that screen.

On the other hand, windows can reach my sharing folder under MacOS.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

The fix for the SMB issue is here.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26956

• 1 month later...

ok i figured out what the problem is. technically the guide is perfect, except you have to put in your actual device id and vendor id.

--boot into XP (idk if you can do this in osx if its not working to begin with, or if you even can in osx at all)

--Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage

--On the left, click Device Manager

--expand Network stuff

--right-click on the Pro 100/VE device, click properties

--click the details tab

--the first two parts of the long string in the window are what you need.

----it will say PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX....... etc

----note those two XXXX values. for my Pro 100/VE the vendor id was the same 8086 but the device id was 1092

--write those down and reboot to osx

--go back to the Info.plist file from the guide above and use the new 0x[device id][vendor id] instead of the one in the guide.

for me this just meant using 0x10928086 instead of 0x27dc8086. i did the rest of the guide the same, sudo rm etc.... and then restarted and it worked. i just used the network assistant and it connected to the network and now my osx is much more useful!

• 2 months later...

EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED!!! Nice person from irc have sent me 10.4.6 kext.

I'm using 8086h and deviceid 1038h. I have modified it so it is 0x10388086. This is using Intel82559 chip. But I can't get it to load. I'm getting the following error message in "dmesg"

com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.apple.driver.Apple.Intel8255x

can't map com.apple.driver.Apple.Intel8255x in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.Apple.Intel8255x.

Couldn't alloc class "Intel82557"

I have taken a picture of my device id. Please help.

I'm thinking this is because the kext file is for 82557 and mine is 82559? Because even in the Info.plist it says its for Intel82557?

Oh and I'm using the newest 10.4.8 JaS and I have rm the extension kext. Also done repairing permissions. kextcache -k too. On other forums they suggested to use ln -s of IONetworking to the com.Apple etc.

Edit: it seems like older versions will work. Can someone send me the kext files from the previous releases? eg 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 ?

Thanks

post-63671-1168359572_thumb.jpg

Edited by banz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont get it!! I can't get these network drivers installed for the life of me. can someone help?!!

-first i tried the way this form listed. using my own ID (which turned out to be the same 0x27dc8086) and followed the rest of the form exactly. it didnt work.

-then after it rebooted and didnt work i tried another way. its called tulip if you ever heard of it. i used the make install technique to install it, and it said it was successful. i rebooted, to my surprise...it didnt work.

-then i tried to install an older .kext file. (ill post tulip and the old .kext file for you)

(NOTE: I did not attemt to delete or uninstall any of these drivers after installing them in the order i listed them.)

I dont have a piece of hardware for a network card, just a plug soldered onto the motherboard, but xp and vista use the drivers of the Intel PRO/100 VE.

I have a Dell E510

Intel Pen D 820

1gb ddr2 ram

sata hd (200gb)

ati x300 graphics card (which is surprisingly working)

integrated sound (which is not working)

Dell Inc. 0HJ054 (motherboard)

Version of OSX that i am using is the Jas 10.4.8 w/the combo update. So the update was successful (finally something that worked for me), so my current version of OSX is 10.4.9.

if you need more info please ask.

darwin_tulip.zip

oldAppleIntel8255x_1_.kext_2.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Knoppix boot disk and lspci tell me that my VEN and ID numbers are as follows:

8086 1064

I have tried adding the bit 0x10648086 all over the intel8255x kext info, but I just cannot get it to recognize. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Okay. Knoppix boot disk and lspci tell me that my VEN and ID numbers are as follows:

8086 1064

I have tried adding the bit 0x10648086 all over the intel8255x kext info, but I just cannot get it to recognize. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, Andrew Borem

There are seperate drivers of MAC OS X 10.4 for USB. For Example, seperate ddriver for WebCam(USB), Infrared etc.

For support only for Flash Drive, just download the KIT which matches your version of MAC OS X 10.4 from:

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html

and you will have your USB for Flash Drive WORKING!

• 4 months later...

i manage to make it work in leopard.. just edit your /IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add your device and vendor id after that repair permission and reboot. i also need to manually setup ip address and use dhcp.

here is what i do to make it work in leopard:

right click /System/Library/Extensions folder and click "Get Info", click the padlock button below and enter your root password when prompted then click the "+" icon and add your user account giving it read+write permission then click ok..

open the Extensions folder and find IONetworkingFamily.kext then drag and drop it on the desktop or some place(backup is a good idea). now, unzip the file that i attached below and drag it in /System/Library/Extensions.

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (you can delete it on the finder or by typing this on the terminal "sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

repair permission and reboot your system

if all goes well, you should be able to see your network card listed.

if it happens that you see your network card but says that there is no ethernet cable plugged in, just delete/System/Library/Extension.mkext and reboot your system. it may or may not resolve the issue but in my case it works so just give it a try..

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Don't know if you guys have figured this out yet or not.. But I had the same problem, and noticed that AppleIntel8255x.kext is PPC only (at least, on my system).

So, I headed over to Apple's 10.4.8 x86 open sources and downloaded AppleIntel8255x.tar.gz, opened it up in Xcode, and compiled it. Then just the standard copy, chmod, chown, then reboot.

Worked perfectly.. I'm not sure if this will help any of you guys but it worked for me.

Hey, I had the same problem, and this file with the bundled instructions (which I followed) worked wonders:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=7135

Also, why is it that the only right DVD is the JaS 10.4.8? If you do not install that first before using the ToH Leopard install, you need the DVD inside your comp on boot.

I actually had a flawless install prior to using the software update to 10.5.1, after which my comp wouldn't even load. So I had to start from scratch and installed only Leopard and got a myriad of problems (DVD need for boot, network, etc.). I followed my footsteps, used JaS install, made sure everything was working, and then upgraded to Leopard. For some reason, Tiger works fine with only the IONetworking.kext, but Leopard does not.

I should add that I did one other thing, so forgive me for not knowing which is responsible for the fix. Within IONetworking.kext, there's an AppleIntel8255x.kext too. I replaced that one with the linked file above. So I had two of the same modified AppleIntel8255x.kext's: one in /System/Library/Extensions, and another inside the IONetworking.kext.

I hope it works for other people! Drove me crazy having to restart and hope for internet!

for me this just meant using 0x10928086 instead of 0x27dc8086. i did the rest of the guide the same, sudo rm etc.... and then restarted and it worked. i just used the network assistant and it connected to the network and now my osx is much more useful!

tried it but still osx86_leopard can't find my ethernet controller (Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit).

snapshot20071125063101bw3.png

anybody, advise pls.

Don't know if you guys have figured this out yet or not.. But I had the same problem, and noticed that AppleIntel8255x.kext is PPC only (at least, on my system).

So, I headed over to Apple's 10.4.8 x86 open sources and downloaded AppleIntel8255x.tar.gz, opened it up in Xcode, and compiled it. Then just the standard copy, chmod, chown, then reboot.

Worked perfectly.. I'm not sure if this will help any of you guys but it worked for me.

Would you please upload this file, along with chown and chmod instructions.

Thanks.

I wanted to add what I did to get the network to work under Leopard 10.5.0 on my Dell 4700 with the Intel Pro/100 VE onboard nic. The network was saying the cable was unplugged so I opened terminal and typed this:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernal flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

go here for screen shots to get a clearer picture of what you might see :

http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/33/34

I wanted to add what I did to get the network to work under Leopard 10.5.0 on my Dell 4700 with the Intel Pro/100 VE onboard nic. The network was saying the cable was unplugged so I opened terminal and typed this:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernal flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

go here for screen shots to get a clearer picture of what you might see :

http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/33/34

Thank you! Thanks! Thanks!

It works for me! I changed my "IOPCIMatch" in AppleIntel8255x.kext to "0x10928086" (as I usually did with my 10.4.10 Tiger), but without -f flag in kernel this kext was loading with errors in the system.log like "Self test reports invalid ROM contents" and so on. But this time I added this -f flag, as you told, and after reboot it still works! You really help me, thank you a lot!!!

• 3 weeks later...