How to install Snow Leopard on the AMD 785g chipset :D (10.6.4)

mtb_kng

17 posts in this topic

HOW TO: Install OSX Snow Leopard on an AMD 785g chipset.

Firstly, I have to thank "voiceover" aka Tomi and "cynargo" for helping me get my system running.

Specs:

AMD Athlon II 240 2.8ghz

ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo

OCZ Value 2gb DDR3 1333Mhz

Onboard ATi HD4200

Corsair CX400

Coolermaster Elite 335

Western Digital Caviar Green 500gb 32mb cache SATA

Samsung SH-223C SATA

I've tried iDeneb 1.6 lite, iAtkos v7, iPC, Empire EFI + Retail, and none of them worked. Use Snowleo's 2.8gb distro.

So download that at the usual and burn it to a dvd. If you're on windows, the best free program to burn an iso is called CDburnerXP, google, download and install that to burn the iso. Now that you have your dvd burned, restart your pc, go into your bios, set everything to default (load default settings) and then set the DVD/CD drive to boot first and set all SATA drives (not sure about ATA) to ACHI. Save, restart and boot from the disk. Now, let it boot up, then click the blue button in the corner, then wait a minute for that to load. Go to Utilities on the top task bar and select Disk Utilites. Select your hard drive, then go to the Erase tab and select OSX journaled (Something like that), not the case sensitive one (I'll explain later). If your hard drive is partitioned, only select the partition you want to install OSX on. Exit that page then and continue with installation. Click the hard drive to install to, then on the next page click customize. Here you want to select a few things:

1. Make sure the first box is ticked. (So it actually installs osx)

2. Chamelion RC5

3. AMD Patch

4. Chocolate Kernal

5. FakeSMC

6. Platform UUID (This isn't really needed, just in case)

7. Apple driver for the rt8169 (LAN)

8. legacy apple piixata (Allows you to use your hard drive in IDE mode, ie: lets you boot into windows if need be)

7. Use the Azaila audio

8. Use ATi_init drivers for your graphics.

Leave everything else ticked as default, except the chamelion box is, only one thing should be selected there.

Now, when the installation is finished, it may reboot, or it may hang. You may need to restart using the button on your case. Pop the DVD out and let it boot into OSX from hard drive! :dev:

What you want to do here is get your mac running nicely, eg make the "About this Mac" correct, by using OSX86 tools, found in the applications/tools folder from your dock.

If everything is working, we can now move on to updating to 10.6.4 from 10.6.

Download 10.6.4 Combo Update from Software Update.

Install it, but don't reboot your PC yet.

Download kernel this kernel: http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.4.0.pkg.zip and install it using it's installer. Now reboot and if it boots fine go to http://nawcom.com/osx86/cpuids/ and download "MacOSXUpd.10.6.4.cpuid.txt" and "Maxxuss_Patcher_GUI.zip". Then drag the cpuid file over Maxxuss_Patcher_GUI app and wait until it finishes, literally, drag the text file over it. Then reboot again.

That's all :P

To get 1280x1024 resolution working. When you turn on your Hackintosh, and you get the "Press any key to boot menu", I don't know exactly what it says, but basically, as the scroll bar goes down, hit a key once :P Then press down once and when hovering over "Boot", type "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" then hit return or enter. You can change the resolution to whatever you like, the @85 means my refresh rate is 85hz, most people's are lower. Then, if that works and you boot up into 1280x1024 or the resolution you specified, go to Your Harddrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and open with text editor. Then add this code:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>

If you need to get it back into format/shape, use the tab key, not the space key to move it.

And there you have it :P A perfectly functioning Mac Pro :D

Upgraded to 10.6.5 using mtb_kng's method and it worked first time with one small wrinkle... no USB. Rebooting from the SnowLeo DVD and reinstalling iousbfamily.kext (everything else left unchecked) restored USB. Some people on early Mac Minis and Macbooks have been losing USB with the 10.6.5 upgrade so it's not purely an OSX86 thing.

Just got a PM:

This is the audio file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=81TEG1BH

I modified the video kext to have 1440x900 and it seems to adapt also for other monitors I tested last month with different native resolution.

This is the video kext file, including the original and modified version:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4FYVS7NA

Firstly, I have to thank "voiceover" aka Tomi and "cynargo" for helping me get my system running.

Specs:

AMD Athlon II 240 2.8ghz

ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo

Onboard ATi HD4200

Corsair CX400

Coolermaster Elite 335

Samsung SH-223C SATA

I've tried iDeneb 1.6 lite, iAtkos v7, iPC, Empire EFI + Retail, and none of them worked. Use Snowleo's 2.8gb distro.

So download that at the usual and burn it to a dvd. If you're on windows, the best free program to burn an iso is called CDburnerXP, google, download and install that to burn the iso. Now that you have your dvd burned, restart your pc, go into your bios, set everything to default (load default settings) and then set the DVD/CD drive to boot first and set all SATA drives (not sure about ATA) to ACHI. Save, restart and boot from the disk. Now, let it boot up, then click the blue button in the corner, then wait a minute for that to load. Go to Utilities on the top task bar and select Disk Utilites. Select your hard drive, then go to the Erase tab and select OSX journaled (Something like that), not the case sensitive one (I'll explain later). If your hard drive is partitioned, only select the partition you want to install OSX on. Exit that page then and continue with installation. Click the hard drive to install to, then on the next page click customize. Here you want to select a few things:

2. Chamelion RC5

3. AMD Patch

4. Chocolate Kernal

5. FakeSMC

8. legacy apple piixata (Allows you to use your hard drive in IDE mode, ie: lets you boot into windows if need be)

7. Use the Azaila audio

Leave everything else ticked as default, except the chamelion box is, only one thing should be selected there.

Now, when the installation is finished, it may reboot, or it may hang. You may need to restart using the button on your case. Pop the DVD out and let it boot into OSX from hard drive! :wub:

What you want to do here is get your mac running nicely, eg make the "About this Mac" correct, by using OSX86 tools, found in the applications/tools folder from your dock.

Download kernel this kernel: http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels...-10.4.0.pkg.zip and install it using it's installer. Now reboot and if it boots fine go to http://nawcom.com/osx86/cpuids/ and download "MacOSXUpd.10.6.4.cpuid.txt" and "Maxxuss_Patcher_GUI.zip". Then drag the cpuid file over Maxxuss_Patcher_GUI app and wait until it finishes, literally, drag the text file over it. Then reboot again.

To get 1280x1024 resolution working. When you turn on your Hackintosh, and you get the "Press any key to boot menu", I don't know exactly what it says, but basically, as the scroll bar goes down, hit a key once :P Then press down once and when hovering over "Boot", type "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" then hit return or enter. You can change the resolution to whatever you like, the @85 means my refresh rate is 85hz, most people's are lower. Then, if that works and you boot up into 1280x1024 or the resolution you specified, go to Your Harddrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and open with text editor. Then add this code:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

If you need to get it back into format/shape, use the tab key, not the space key to move it.

I don't get this forum.. this guy post this on November 7th, no thank you or anything, good guide. Goign to try the resolution fix now.

I don't get this forum.. this guy post this on November 7th, no thank you or anything, good guide. Goign to try the resolution fix now.

I agree, good information and I now have 10.6 running on an AMD machine here with an Asus M3A motherboard. I too tried other distros that claimed to be AMD compatible but (at least for me) never really were. Going to try the update to 10.6.4 now. Now if only the hack wasn't so noisy I might even abandon the G5 every now and then!

Upgraded to 10.6.5 using mtb_kng's method and it worked first time with one small wrinkle... no USB. Rebooting from the SnowLeo DVD and reinstalling iousbfamily.kext (everything else left unchecked) restored USB. Some people on early Mac Minis and Macbooks have been losing USB with the 10.6.5 upgrade so it's not purely an OSX86 thing.

Specs:

AMD Athlon II 240 2.8ghz

ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo

Onboard ATi HD4200

Corsair CX400

Coolermaster Elite 335

Samsung SH-223C SATA

2. Chamelion RC5

3. AMD Patch

4. Chocolate Kernal

5. FakeSMC

7. Use the Azaila audio

Now, when the installation is finished, it may reboot, or it may hang. You may need to restart using the button on your case. Pop the DVD out and let it boot into OSX from hard drive! :)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

Hi, i have a785G AMD chipset, but wich is 2,8 Gb Snowleo distro?

thank you bye

• 2 weeks later...

Specs:

AMD Athlon II 240 2.8ghz

ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo

Onboard ATi HD4200......

And there you have it :D A perfectly functioning Mac Pro :D

and what about qe/ci on hd4200? is it working?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything has gone well but Ethernet & wifi won't work. When I boot in Verbose mode I see some errors that say RTL 6039, prob hardware failure, hardware unknown ( not exact but that's all I remember ) can anyone help me?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks mtb_kng for this guide

I successfully installed SnowLeo on my MSI Wind U230 (AMD Neo x2 1.6Ghz) netbook. and i successfully upgraded to 10.6.4 and now 10.6.7; using nawcom legacy kernel. :)

the only downside is my audio is choppy and sometimes delayed. I don't mind though, I'll keep looking for kext files for my audio

awesome guide man...

• 1 month later...

hey

I am getting the following while installing snow leopard using the above guide

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4230a80.

LoadingDrivers: Loading from/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 4230a80.

Starting Darwin/x86

and then the pc restarts

MY config is

CPU : AMD PHENOM II X4 955BE (C3 STEPPING)

Motherboard : ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

Memory : G-SKILL RIPJAWS DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL7-8-7-24 (2X2GB)

Graphics Card : Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 (Cypress Pro)

Display : BenQ E2200HD

Cooling : SCCF 120mm

Storage & OS : 1TB x 2 Seagate + 500gb Seagate|Windows 7 Ultimate x64

PSU : Seasonic S12II 620W

Can anyone help me ?

• 1 month later...
After I restart my BIOS settings and change them accordingly, it attempts to start up and just hangs on a grey screen with no apple and the beach ball spinning forever. Any ideas?

I had the same issue. Try the following after pressing f8: -v -x -f busratio=14(or whatever yours is. Search bus calc in google) cpus=1

this worked perfect for me.

• 4 months later...

hey

I am getting the following while installing snow leopard using the above guide

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

LoadingDrivers: Loading from/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Starting Darwin/x86

and then the pc restarts

MY config is

CPU : AMD PHENOM II X4 955BE (C3 STEPPING)

Motherboard : ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

Memory : G-SKILL RIPJAWS DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL7-8-7-24 (2X2GB)

Graphics Card : Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 (Cypress Pro)

Display : BenQ E2200HD

Cooling : SCCF 120mm

Storage & OS : 1TB x 2 Seagate + 500gb Seagate|Windows 7 Ultimate x64

PSU : Seasonic S12II 620W

Can anyone help me ?

do not presss enter, press F8 > -v -x -f busratio=16 cpus=1